4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 04:32 PM
wat

Mufflers

Anyone know of any good Universal or Maxima fitted mufflers that have a deep "V8" sound for around $60-$150?
Old 03-21-2003, 04:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Mufflers

Originally posted by BlueC
Anyone know of any good Universal or Maxima fitted mufflers that have a deep "V8" sound for around $60-$150?
none. You won't get a V8 sound unless you have a V8.
The only maxima That I've heard that sounds anything like a V8 is Y2KevSE with his new turbo.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:40 PM
wat

Re: Re: Mufflers

Originally posted by hacim105

none. You won't get a V8 sound unless you have a V8.
The only maxima That I've heard that sounds anything like a V8 is Y2KevSE with his new turbo.
Well if you cant think of any mufflers, then dont even post. I dont care about your opinion if you're just gonna say theres none. I said a "V8" sound, I dont mean it literally. Im just trying to get a deep tone.

And Kevin isnt the only one with a V8 sound.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Mufflers

Well if you cant think of any mufflers, then dont even post. I dont care about your opinion if you're just gonna say theres none. I said a "V8" sound, I dont mean it literally. Im just trying to get a deep tone.

dude, you gotta learn to be nice. this is just a dumb internet board, you should only get 'virtually' ****ed...

frankencar, y pipe and straight through muffler, sounds fantastic to me.

see sig for my muffler, i think it is perfect, no rice at all. looks good. sounds good.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:05 PM
Dev

Re: Re: Re: Mufflers

seriously...you gotta lighten up...especially when asking for help.
he's totally right...a small displacement V6 will never sound like a V8, especially with an import motor.

if you want a deep throaty sound, then do a ypipe, resonated bpipe, and straight through muffler.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mufflers

I have the Place Racing CAI, budget y-pipe, resonated b-pipe, and the Stillen muffler and it is deep and throaty. Sounds very nice!
Old 03-21-2003, 06:31 PM

If you want loud... get a Y pipe, straight pipe, and a stillen cat-back. Just replacing the muffler and not doing any other exhaust work isn't gunna do much. IMO its .
Old 03-21-2003, 07:18 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

My Supercharged Maxima sounds like a V8 In fact, it's more throaty then my friends Camaro SS.

...coming back to reality now. A flowmasters 2 chambered 40 series muffler is going to get you the closest thing to a "V8" exhaust note. IMO the Greddy's and all that "straight through" jazz sounds too monotone. I do admit that they keep the depth nicely in the upper revvs, but have no charactor. The f-master will give you a more raw hollow tone then the fart cans.

You want an even throatier sound? Flowmaster Camaro style 80-series muffler. The kind that's supposed to be transversally mounted. That's what I have. More piping, classic flowmaster design = rawer sound.

Old 03-21-2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
My Supercharged Maxima sounds like a V8 In fact, it's more throaty then my friends Camaro SS.

...coming back to reality now. A flowmasters 2 chambered 40 series muffler is going to get you the closest thing to a "V8" exhaust note. IMO the Greddy's and all that "straight through" jazz sounds too monotone. I do admit that they keep the depth nicely in the upper revvs, but have no charactor. The f-master will give you a more raw hollow tone then the fart cans.

You want an even throatier sound? Flowmaster Camaro style 80-series muffler. The kind that's supposed to be transversally mounted. That's what I have. More piping, classic flowmaster design = rawer sound.

man that looks clean.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:17 PM
The original VQ...

I got a $60 muffler from ebay sounds nice and deep and its pritty loud at about 3k. Everyone tells me its gona be to loud when i put my y-pipe on but well see. It has a 4.5 tip taht fits perfect in the cut out .check my home page for a pic.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:46 PM

try this for a deep tone

warpspeed aluminized mandrel bent y pipe, warpspeed b pipe with resonator, magnaflow 5x8 Single tip street series muffler, also change out your stock airbox and get a JWT Pop Charger ... this my friend will work
Old 03-21-2003, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
I got a $60 muffler from ebay sounds nice and deep and its pritty loud at about 3k. Everyone tells me its gona be to loud when i put my y-pipe on but well see. It has a 4.5 tip taht fits perfect in the cut out .check my home page for a pic.
i think this is going to be your best option...
Old 03-21-2003, 09:42 PM
wat

Nah, dont worry guys, that wasnt me being mad or anything. I just wasnt wanting people whoring up this thread telling me absoloutly nothing (No advice on what to get). I know I cant get it to sound like a V8, but I meant I want that "V8" deep tone, thats why I used "" around the word V8. So hopefully I didnt confuse too many people. Thanks for everyone thoughts so far.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:38 AM

Magna Flow Muffler+Ypipe+Intake=Deep Tone
Old 03-22-2003, 08:17 AM

i've always been a flowmaster guy but i tried the powertech dual tip one and am very happy with it.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

If you like to have your maxima sound like a mustang, Drop a mustang engine in it. that would do it....... and make sure you get some sick *** mustang muflers. and then you have nice boat. Mustang = V8 Boat.....
Old 03-22-2003, 02:48 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally posted by CystumMax
If you like to have your maxima sound like a mustang, Drop a mustang engine in it. that would do it....... and make sure you get some sick *** mustang muflers. and then you have nice boat. Mustang = V8 Boat.....
87-93 Fox body mustang lx v8 coupe weights in ar around 3000 lb. with an all-iron engine. but aluminum (performance) heads, and that shaves 70lb. a new engine crossmember saves another 50. is can easily go to 2700 in full street trim without major investments.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:57 PM

Are you once of those angry ricers who are jealous of Mustangs and Camaro's becuause your 1.8L engine emits a loud fart at every RPM?

I was at the Nissan dealership today and a guy with a '98 Mustang GT that I know with bbk headers, bbk catback, offroad x-pipe, chip, pullies, STS, ect. dropped by to pick up some wiper blades for his mom's Maxima. Obviously his car was loud, and very throaty. Sounded very nice. He heard the technician crank up my car and was like Whoa, that's a really nice sounding exhaust!! You shoulda seen his face light up when he heard it. I'm just like, ya not bad for a little 6 cylinder.

I'm not trying to be concieted here, but if you want the deepest sound get a setup like mine. At WOT though, it sounds totally different. Not ricey, but definatally nothing like a domestic V8. It sounds high pitched, but aggressive. At idle and cruising it sounds extremely V8ish. When the tech pulled my car into the garage and test drove it around the lot, you could hear it rumbling around the entire dealership.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:27 PM

Are you once of those angry ricers who are jealous of Mustangs and Camaro's becuause your 1.8L engine emits a loud fart at every RPM?

I was at the Nissan dealership today and a guy with a '98 Mustang GT that I know with bbk headers, bbk catback, offroad x-pipe, chip, pullies, STS, ect. dropped by to pick up some wiper blades for his mom's Maxima. Obviously his car was loud, and very throaty. Sounded very nice. He heard the technician crank up my car and was like Whoa, that's a really nice sounding exhaust!! You shoulda seen his face light up when he heard it. I'm just like, ya not bad for a little 6 cylinder.

I'm not trying to be concieted here, but if you want the deepest sound get a setup like mine. At WOT though, it sounds totally different. Not ricey, but definatally nothing like a domestic V8. It sounds high pitched, but aggressive. At idle and cruising it sounds extremely V8ish. When the tech pulled my car into the garage and test drove it around the lot, you could hear it rumbling around the entire dealership.
there is nothing wrong with mustang. i was being sarcastic. well when i bought my maxima. i bought it because 1: it is not loud, 2: it is fast. 3: dont want to make sound like v8.

and i don't have 1.8 L i have 3.0 you should know that...
Old 03-22-2003, 09:58 PM

[B]

there is nothing wrong with mustang. i was being sarcastic. well when i bought my maxima. i bought it because 1: it is not loud, 2: it is fast. 3: dont want to make sound like v8.
V6 rustangs are 'peices. GT's can be ok/cool. Cobra's are sweet.

Just becuase you bought your Maxima for basically what it's meant for ( ) does that mean us others can't have fun with it? I personally like the symmetrical look of duals above all else, and it improves the look of any car. Second, I personally love a deep raw exhaust note. If you prefer a quiet Maxima like most people out there, then that's your deal.

and i don't have 1.8 L i have 3.0 you should know that...
The newbiest of no0bs would know that. I was just making a point.
Old 03-22-2003, 09:59 PM

MaxiN it Up !!

I have been working on putting some video of 97 SE on the web. At the moment their in flash. which is a small download if you dont have it. anyways ...if you have a high speed connection its nothing to it...just let each movie load completely, then it will play continusly ...if you have a 56k or lower connection ...go watch the sopranos or something and it should be kicking by then ..you can hear my exhaust .. from in cockpit, outside, and i put one up of the car and just a jwt popcharger ... soon im going to make some more racer ones but these will really give you an idea of what this type of setup sounds like

http://myweb.cableone.net/kindredspirits/
Old 03-22-2003, 10:13 PM

V6 rustangs are 'peices. GT's can be ok/cool. Cobra's are sweet.

Just becuase you bought your Maxima for basically what it's meant for ( ) does that mean us others can't have fun with it? I personally like the symmetrical look of duals above all else, and it improves the look of any car. Second, I personally love a deep raw exhaust note. If you prefer a quiet Maxima like most people out there, then that's your deal.

The newbiest of no0bs would know that. I was just making a point.
Well everyone has different opinion. i like quite car and fast. i really dont like this excuast idea. i like quite car and fast. when i get some decent job. i buy a vet. and then i enjoy the racing sound. for me quite is everthing. i really enjoy quite fast car. and dual excaust is diffnitly nice. if it comes quite. i would get it. but then i think that would work the best with the turbo or super charged.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:07 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Well everyone has different opinion. i like quite car and fast. i really dont like this excuast idea. i like quite car and fast. when i get some decent job. i buy a vet. and then i enjoy the racing sound. for me quite is everthing. i really enjoy quite fast car. and dual excaust is diffnitly nice. if it comes quite. i would get it. but then i think that would work the best with the turbo or super charged.
so u like a quiet car? i think thats what i got out of it good choice with the max definately quiet even considering some cars in stock form are loud as mo fo'z n e wayz hey Craig Mack how much did ur exhaust system cost? and what parts did u use?
Old 03-23-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by nismos14

so u like a quiet car? i think thats what i got out of it good choice with the max definately quiet even considering some cars in stock form are loud as mo fo'z n e wayz hey Craig Mack how much did ur exhaust system cost? and what parts did u use?
yeh when you have quite fast car. is different when you have loud slow car.. Like Honda civic or some other jap cars that don’t move. but i know my car its not all that. But for 3700ibs, and system in the back, 0-60 is acceptable. i never timed my car. But it moves.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 AM

hey Craig Mack how much did ur exhaust system cost? and what parts did u use?
I have a WSP Y-pipe, but the actual shop can custom make you the catback only. It consists of a 2.5" crush bent b-pipe w/a 22" glasspack resonator right after the cat, a flowmasters camaro style 80-series muffler, a 2.25" pipe connecting to the muffler and wrapping around the tire well, and 3.5"w x 6"L chrome tips. You can duplicate my setup for around ~$400 with resonator.

All the compliments I get and the incredible sound at cruising/idle is worth the slight drones at certain highway RPM. For instance, one time me and my friend were sitting in a movie parking lot and 2 random guys came over to my car and asked me about my exhaust and gave it props. Things like that happen all the time. I did the system to please me, but when all those people appreciate it, it definatally makes things worth it.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I have a WSP Y-pipe, but the actual shop can custom make you the catback only. It consists of a 2.5" crush bent b-pipe w/a 22" glasspack resonator right after the cat, a flowmasters camaro style 80-series muffler, a 2.25" pipe connecting to the muffler and wrapping around the tire well, and 3.5"w x 6"L chrome tips. You can duplicate my setup for around ~$400 with resonator.

any reason u didnt get mandrel bends? doesn't the crush bend kinda cause some turbulence in the exhaust system? or does it have to be crush bent in our cars? in my 240 the straight pipe design was best with mandrel bent piping... just trying to get a feel for the max exhaust system
Old 03-23-2003, 12:20 PM

any reason u didnt get mandrel bends? doesn't the crush bend kinda cause some turbulence in the exhaust system? or does it have to be crush bent in our cars? in my 240 the straight pipe design was best with mandrel bent piping... just trying to get a feel for the max exhaust system

Yup, mandrel bends definatally are possible and definatally better. I did crush becuase I was n/a at the time and didn't care about the 1-1.8hp I was missing with crush bending. My Y-pipe is mandrel bent, and thats where the majority of the power gains come from. Now that i'm supercharged, I could probubly see a small gain from going to a mandrel b-pipe and mandrel bending the piping around my tire well, but it's not worth it to me. If I was running an insane amount of boost like mardigrasmax is then I could probubly see gains of like 6hp by switching, but I'm not and never will.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:34 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Yup, mandrel bends definatally are possible and definatally better. I did crush becuase I was n/a at the time and didn't care about the 1-1.8hp I was missing with crush bending. My Y-pipe is mandrel bent, and thats where the majority of the power gains come from. Now that i'm supercharged, I could probubly see a small gain from going to a mandrel b-pipe and mandrel bending the piping around my tire well, but it's not worth it to me. If I was running an insane amount of boost like mardigrasmax is then I could probubly see gains of like 6hp by switching, but I'm not and never will.
ahh i see that clears things up a little i was just a little confused thats all, do you have any vids of ur car? with sound i would LOVE to hear that thing purrrrr