4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spoiler is fading

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 06:28 AM

Spoiler is fading

I have a 98 SE. It assembly date is 1/97. My problem is within the last year, a fair amount of fading has began to take place on the top portion of the spoiler. That is the only place that is fading on the car. I am in hot a$$ Austin,TX but I wax my car on a regular basis. I'm not sure of the correct name for the color of my car but it's the gold color. If anyone else is encounting this or heard of it, your comments would be welcome.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes, i also have a gold maxima, which is a 99, and it seems as if the spoiler itself isnt clear-coated or something (also the mirrors seem to be that way too). Mines a bit faded, i think ill just have a shop spray some clear coat on it. Other than that, theres not much you can do.

eric
Old 03-25-2003, 06:54 AM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
yes, i also have a gold maxima, which is a 99, and it seems as if the spoiler itself isnt clear-coated or something (also the mirrors seem to be that way too). Mines a bit faded, i think ill just have a shop spray some clear coat on it. Other than that, theres not much you can do.

eric
You're right the mirrors are sort of doing the same. I was thinking about have the spoiler repainted ot someting. I have to make a decision pretty soon because as the say....She fading fast! Is that the correct name for that color...Sunshine Sand...I love that color
Old 03-25-2003, 06:55 AM

you could get an APC wing and youll be set to go too...just dont be like the kid at my school at put it backwards im kidding about the wing thing
Old 03-25-2003, 07:04 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

There is clear coat on the whole car. It is fading because of the sun. The only solution is to have it repainted, which probably wouldn't be that much for just the spolier and mirrors. My hood is fading and it's driving me nuts, but there's not much you can do about it. Waxing helps slow it, but there's only so much you can do. Maybe try a different wax...?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by endus
There is clear coat on the whole car. It is fading because of the sun. The only solution is to have it repainted, which probably wouldn't be that much for just the spolier and mirrors. My hood is fading and it's driving me nuts, but there's not much you can do about it. Waxing helps slow it, but there's only so much you can do. Maybe try a different wax...?
I may do some research and see of there is a wax to better filter out the harmful rays. Also I am getting a car cover to totally block out the sun for the summer. I will get some exstimates on repainting the spoiler...It is very annoying if you pay close attention to you car finish
Old 03-25-2003, 07:41 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Haha, yea, being concerned about your paint is a constant losing battle...nothing you do ever makes anyting BETTER, it just slows the decay.

Be careful with the car cover. I was almost going to do the same thing (North East -> Snow) but if you put it on when the car is anything less than spotless you risk grinding dirt into your paint and making things even worse.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:58 AM

Originally posted by endus
Haha, yea, being concerned about your paint is a constant losing battle...nothing you do ever makes anyting BETTER, it just slows the decay.

Be careful with the car cover. I was almost going to do the same thing (North East -> Snow) but if you put it on when the car is anything less than spotless you risk grinding dirt into your paint and making things even worse.
Always something huh. I also needs my front bumper and front part of my hood repainted. Rock chips have really taken a toll on the front area...
Old 03-25-2003, 09:11 AM

having the same problem on my emerald green max, spoilers fading, and it sucks ,rest of car looks fine but it looks like the hood is starting to go too maybe next thing i save up for is to paint them , while im at it ill have those ugly pinstripes on my car painted off too
Old 03-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by supercobraz

You're right the mirrors are sort of doing the same. I was thinking about have the spoiler repainted ot someting. I have to make a decision pretty soon because as the say....She fading fast! Is that the correct name for that color...Sunshine Sand...I love that color

the correct color is SUNLIT SAND and i believe the paint code is EVO4 (someone correct me if im wrong) Its under your hood, on the passenger side of the firewall.

eric
Old 03-25-2003, 10:06 AM

when i had a maxima, there was a great deal of fading on the door moldings, even time i'd wash the car it'll seem fine, but when the water dried..... back to its faded self
Old 03-25-2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

the correct color is SUNLIT SAND and i believe the paint code is EVO4 (someone correct me if im wrong) Its under your hood, on the passenger side of the firewall.

eric
Ok thanks, I'll take a look under the hood this evening. I am waiting for a call back from the local dealers body shop. The dealer said the cost of a new spoiler is around $340, so anything over that is not worth it...