4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen intake and low end loss...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 06:16 PM

Stillen intake and low end loss...

A quote from the infamous FAQs:

"A Pop Charger gives good high RPM gains but some owners report a low end 'lag' or power loss. Automatic owners seem to feel this low end loss more".

I'm looking into buying a used Stillen intake to keep things simple (trying to avoid any complications from a CAI) However, I don't want low end power loss... if I could search I know I'd find an infinite amount of discussions on this, but I can't, so.... can anyone elaborate? I have an auto and theres no way I want to spend money on an intake thats gonna make me lose low end power over my stock intake. So, is this a prevalent problem or i don't need to worry?
Old 03-26-2003, 06:25 PM

Most auto owners say it does lag a little at low RPM's, i think that this is pretty common. But why not just get a frankencar intake. $130, its a hybrid setup so no lagging and you still get good top end. The website is www.frankencar.com
Old 03-26-2003, 08:35 PM

I had the same problem with you. The low end loss power at low rpm makes me sick. I just purchased the Franken car Midpipe to replace the air box. I don't know it is going to improve the low end loss or not. But that is the cheaper way to do without buying INJEN CAi or etc and to keep my Stillen Pop charger. I 'll let you know the result. If the result are not what as I expect. I am thinking to buy INJEN CAI. I drove my freind car that has INJen cai. i FELT TOTALLY DIFFERENT at low rpm, no lack of low end power.............. So far Injen is pretty good in my opinion if you have AUTOtragic Maxima. GO with INJEN
Old 03-26-2003, 10:02 PM

i just installed the frankencar midpipe/stillen cone filter combo and i noticed no low end loss at all. there is definitely more midrange, and the top end doesn't seem to drop off as much as with the stock airbox. the only thing is the midpipe is kinda loud at idle...makes is loud constant sucking noise.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

The low end power loss for me was pretty significant. The addition of a mid-pipe really did not do anything. Maybe a little, but that was probably just in my head. If I want power I know where to shift.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also noticed some low end loss with the Stillen pop installed. I hope that the Frankencar midpipe solves the problem. .

Also those with the Stillen Intake, this is probably a dumb question but do you also have a hole on the end of the intake, on the chrome part where it says Stillen across it? Is that normal? Is that for earlier years to put in the sensor or something? . Anyways did you cover up the hole with something so dirty air etc doesn't go in it?
Old 03-26-2003, 11:40 PM

yeah i have that hole. my intake was designed for the 95-96, but since i installed it on my 97 thers just an empty hole. its for a sensor, but i don't think its that big a deal...i just taped it up so nothing crazy gets sucked into my engine without going through the filter element first.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:31 AM
CaLSoNiC

I had a pop-charger before I installed my midpipe. Before I installed my midpipe I felt I had lost a little low end, and when I did install my midpipe I felt I got most of that loss back.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:52 AM

So where is the midpipe located on the frankencar. I have a stillen intake and I don't think there is room to add a midpipe, due to the stillen intake almost being next to the engine bay wall now. When I purchased the car it had the Stillen Popcharger on it.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i'm gonna be getting a midpipe with a stillen popcharger... hope that DOES solve the problem!
Old 03-27-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
So where is the midpipe located on the frankencar. I have a stillen intake and I don't think there is room to add a midpipe, due to the stillen intake almost being next to the engine bay wall now. When I purchased the car it had the Stillen Popcharger on it.
It replaces that square box right after you MAF. You should be able to fit a mid pipe in there. Especially if you make it your self, then you can custom make it to be shorter than a frankencar.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:23 AM

Thanks! I know exactly what your are talking about! Is there a write-up about making the custom mid-pipe. If there is can someone please post the link or thread. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-27-2003, 07:39 AM

http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html
Old 03-27-2003, 08:01 AM

Thanks Again! I30Mike is the Mannnnn!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:10 AM

What's the difference between a frankencar and a stillen??
Old 03-27-2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by Maxman2000
What's the difference between a frankencar and a stillen??
Frankencar is a midpipe paired with the filter of your choice. Sitllen is just a filter, a good filter with a velocity stack. You could have a Frankencar with a sitllen filter.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:49 AM
V^___^V

Re: Stillen intake and low end loss...

Originally posted by jkotel
A quote from the infamous FAQs:

"A Pop Charger gives good high RPM gains but some owners report a low end 'lag' or power loss. Automatic owners seem to feel this low end loss more".

I'm looking into buying a used Stillen intake to keep things simple (trying to avoid any complications from a CAI) However, I don't want low end power loss... if I could search I know I'd find an infinite amount of discussions on this, but I can't, so.... can anyone elaborate? I have an auto and theres no way I want to spend money on an intake thats gonna make me lose low end power over my stock intake. So, is this a prevalent problem or i don't need to worry?
stillen filter= $100+
frankencar hybrid w/ filter= $130
BOMz racing CAI w/ K&N filter= $80

before i had a K&N drop-in, now i have a bomz CAI and i felt no lag at low-end and better HP/torque gain from 2,500rpm -5,500rpm =) the setup was not too hard, jus unscrewed everythin from stock intake system, trim a hole under the fuse box, connect the CAI + K&N filter, put the battery back, done.

i did this with another friend without any instructions....
Old 03-27-2003, 09:07 AM

Thanks! I know exactly what your are talking about! Is there a write-up about making the custom mid-pipe. If there is can someone please post the link or thread. Thanks in advance for your help!
Just a little advice when making the mid-pipe. In order for it to fit with a large filter set up(which is what I have as well) drill the holes for the fittings vertically not horizontally. As in, one above the other, not side to side. This will give you room to have the mid-pipe as short as possible. I ran into this problem of having my fittings next to each other. I only have about 3 inches of pipe exposed and I am just barely fitting the filter under the hood.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Stillen intake and low end loss...

Originally posted by happyricefob

stillen filter= $100+
frankencar hybrid w/ filter= $130
BOMz racing CAI w/ K&N filter= $80

before i had a K&N drop-in, now i have a bomz CAI and i felt no lag at low-end and better HP/torque gain from 2,500rpm -5,500rpm =) the setup was not too hard, jus unscrewed everythin from stock intake system, trim a hole under the fuse box, connect the CAI + K&N filter, put the battery back, done.

i did this with another friend without any instructions....
If I bought the BOMz CAI with K&N filter, could I just use the midpipe section of hte tubing and attach the MAF to that followed by the filter? It isnt one solid pipe that goes from the TB all the way to the MAF is it? Arent there two rubber or plastic connectors with clamps on each end? One to connect TB to mid-pipe, one ot connect midpipe to ColdAir downpipe, which then connects to MAF and then to filter....right?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats good to hear i'm not the only one. I also just covered up the hole with some clear tape. I hope it will be ok.

Originally posted by SoLid97SE
yeah i have that hole. my intake was designed for the 95-96, but since i installed it on my 97 thers just an empty hole. its for a sensor, but i don't think its that big a deal...i just taped it up so nothing crazy gets sucked into my engine without going through the filter element first.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:05 PM

Well, I am going to be making my homemade mid-pipe tonight and will post later to let you guys know how it went. I am going to be putting the hose fittings just like the fitting in the pictures on that website. Talk to you guys later!
Old 03-27-2003, 05:11 PM
V^___^V

Re: Re: Re: Stillen intake and low end loss...

Originally posted by bb0ys

If I bought the BOMz CAI with K&N filter, could I just use the midpipe section of hte tubing and attach the MAF to that followed by the filter? It isnt one solid pipe that goes from the TB all the way to the MAF is it? Arent there two rubber or plastic connectors with clamps on each end? One to connect TB to mid-pipe, one ot connect midpipe to ColdAir downpipe, which then connects to MAF and then to filter....right?
i jus stick the MAF into the mid-pipe
Old 03-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

On the franken car website is there any real advantage to the apexi dry filter or should i jsut go with a K/n filter and save some money?
Old 03-27-2003, 07:28 PM

conclusion?

let me know how the homemade midpipe goes, but as someone mentioned, it sounds kinda loud even at idle? i dont want that... it seems like the consensus is id be better off with a franken intake from the start and to not even bother with a stillen intake... I'm going to look into a homemade intake, but I don't want to mess up any stock parts
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by squinty
On the franken car website is there any real advantage to the apexi dry filter or should i jsut go with a K/n filter and save some money?
The apexi filter has a built in velocity stack which reduces air turbulance. I noticed a difference between a my old cheap filter an the apexi.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:30 PM

Well, I made the homemade mid-pipe tonight and it took some patience but it was pretty easy overall. I followed the exact directions from the website posted earlier in this post. I am painting it on Saturday as well as installing it later on Saturday. As far as the it being loud only time will tell! I will keep you guys posted!
Old 03-27-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: conclusion?

Originally posted by jkotel
let me know how the homemade midpipe goes, but as someone mentioned, it sounds kinda loud even at idle? i dont want that... it seems like the consensus is id be better off with a franken intake from the start and to not even bother with a stillen intake... I'm going to look into a homemade intake, but I don't want to mess up any stock parts
it makes no noise at idle, well a little hissing sound but really nothing. It only makes noise under load after 3.5K rpms. No intake is going to be loud at idle.

Making a homemade intake has nothing to do with the stock parts. There is no risk in ruining anything.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:37 PM

Well, I made the homemade mid-pipe tonight and it took some patience but it was pretty easy overall. I followed the exact directions from the website posted earlier in this post. I am painting it on Saturday as well as installing it later on Saturday. As far as the it being loud only time will tell! I will keep you guys posted!
does it look like it's gonna fit with the stillen filter?
Old 03-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Yeah, it will fit fine! My mid-pipe that I made is only 5.5 inches rather than the 8 inch one on the website. There will probably only be about three inches showing from the clamps. I think it will work great and thanks for the link!
Old 03-27-2003, 09:05 PM

Yeah, it will fit fine! My mid-pipe that I made is only 5.5 inches rather than the 8 inch one on the website. There will probably only be about three inches showing from the clamps. I think it will work great and thanks for the link!
congrats.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:43 PM

Re: Re: conclusion?

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

it makes no noise at idle, well a little hissing sound but really nothing. It only makes noise under load after 3.5K rpms. No intake is going to be loud at idle.

Making a homemade intake has nothing to do with the stock parts. There is no risk in ruining anything.
actually...mine does make a significant hissing sound at idle. standing next to the car you can definitely hear the intake.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

your just hearing the air being sucked in. This is due to the removal of the resonator and that ever so free flowing oem air intake that is now gone.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:33 AM

Re: Re: Re: conclusion?

actually...mine does make a significant hissing sound at idle. standing next to the car you can definitely hear the intake.
that's what I said.......
Old 03-28-2003, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That hole is designed for the oxygen sensor for the 95-96. Failure to connect the 02 sensor before starting the engine will cause the check engine light to come on in those models.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:40 PM

Noise

Well I installed the homemade mid-pipe tonight! It is awesome! it is no louder than with just my Stillen popcharger until I hit WOT. It sounds like a V8 as everyone else had said. I do think I notice a slight difference from before. It is just a little quicker not much. Anyway, just giving the update!
Also, I think I am going to have a muffler shop put some spot welds around the fittings that way they will be leak free forever!