4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best Brand of Gas for your MAX

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 08:03 AM

Best Brand of Gas for your MAX

I was wondering what everyone thoughts are on the best brand of gasoline for their Max. Now assuming we all run 93 octane or better, does anyone thing there is a difference from brand to brand (Exxon, Chevron.ect..) Of the major brands in Austin, Exxon is routinly .10 to .20 cents a gallon cheaper then the others. I've never had a problem with Exxon but was just wonder if maybe there was a reason it is cheaper. Also, do any of you use anykind of fuel injector cleaner or fuel system cleaners in you cars...Thank in advance for any comments..

To all those Marines who have made the ultimate sacrifice in recent days of fighting in Iraq..Semper Fi
Old 03-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Texaco!!!
Just because is closer to my house, and there was a threat before that nissan does not recommend the use of fuel injector cleaners on our cars. I don't know how much of that is true.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 AM

I've noticed a funky exhaust smell when I use Texaco gas. I've been using Exxon lately and haven't smelled the funkyness.

As for the fuel injectors, I don't think its so much that we can't use FI cleaner so much as we don't need to use it. The VQ uses fuel injectors with a pintleless design. Other cars use pintle valves in their FIs. A pintle is essentially a cone in a circular oraface that moves back to open the injector. I'm not sure how Nissan's Fuel Injecotrs are designed, but they are probably some of the best you can buy in terms of life and reliability.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:51 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Gas is gas. I use what's most convenient (usually Mobil or Sunoco).
Old 03-28-2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by ejj
Old 03-28-2003, 09:36 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

it also depends where you live. Granted, most pumps are owned by the gas company, so the gas comes from the place regionally. But gas differs from region to region, and state to state.

I too have noticed a nasty smell from texaco's gas. There's only one texaco that doesen't give me that problem, so it's either them or sunocco. Ultra 94 all the way!
Old 03-28-2003, 09:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hello, i was told by a Service Manager at a Nissan dealership that the best gas to use is Amoco Premium only. He said they make the cleanest gas. He said you should not mix different brands but stick with one brand if possible. Just an fyi on what i was told...

Originally posted by fearthegecko
it also depends where you live. Granted, most pumps are owned by the gas company, so the gas comes from the place regionally. But gas differs from region to region, and state to state.

I too have noticed a nasty smell from texaco's gas. There's only one texaco that doesen't give me that problem, so it's either them or sunocco. Ultra 94 all the way!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:19 AM
rmb

Originally posted by mslovergirl
Hello, i was told by a Service Manager at a Nissan dealership that the best gas to use is Amoco Premium only. He said they make the cleanest gas. He said you should not mix different brands but stick with one brand if possible. Just an fyi on what i was told...
And there's a good reason he'll always be a Service Manager at a Nissan stealership.... cause he's an idiot.

Use whatever brand you want. It DOESN'T MATTER. I avoid the small out-of-the-way stations that don't get much traffic, a bigger chance of water or other debris being in the tanks.

-RMB
Old 03-28-2003, 10:23 AM

Best brand?? CHEAP GAS!! My Max runs great on anything!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 10:28 AM

Up here in my corner of the "Great White North" I use Sunoco Ultra94 for a few reasons:

1) My car likes it.

2) It's only a few cents more expensive than 91 octane.

3) Gas from the area Sunoco refineries have the lowest sulfur content of them all - and sulfur is very bad for your engine, exhaust system, and the environment.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:33 AM

gas? who uses gas no adays? my max runs on vegatable oil and coca-cola
Old 03-28-2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by ejj
Sorry, gas is not gas. Different brands use different additives in their gas. Wether you like it or not, the higher end gasolines (Texaco, Exxon, Sunoco, Chevron, Amoco) all put additives like fuel system cleaners in their blends. Some of these companies only put the additives in the "super" grade gas and not the "regular" and the midgrade is just a mix of the two.

There is a definite difference between gasoline brands. They are of different purity levels and different typs of additives. This is probably the biggest reason for the odd smell of my exhaust when I use Texaco gas and not others.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:08 PM

What about SHELL??? They seem to be taking over a lot of the gas stations around my way and are close so I use them when i get the chance.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver265

Sorry, gas is not gas. Different brands use different additives in their gas. Wether you like it or not, the higher end gasolines (Texaco, Exxon, Sunoco, Chevron, Amoco) all put additives like fuel system cleaners in their blends. Some of these companies only put the additives in the "super" grade gas and not the "regular" and the midgrade is just a mix of the two.

There is a definite difference between gasoline brands. They are of different purity levels and different typs of additives. This is probably the biggest reason for the odd smell of my exhaust when I use Texaco gas and not others.
you're also assuming that the gas station is straight. I've heard of places being shut down for offering 3 or 4 different types of gas and only having 2 tanks underground. There were 2 places near me that were shut down for screwing with the diesel, so that they could sell tax-free diesel with a tax, and keep the tax for themselves. In the end, it really comes down to gas being gas, and the reason why is when you're on E, it doesen't matter if it's aamoco, exxon, texaco, or sunocco.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:47 AM

Highest octance in CA is 91

You guys with 93 or higher are lucky as higher octane should give you higher MPG.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:55 AM
ivelweyz

Before everyone starts laughing, the 2 different gas sttions I've been using the past 3 fill-ups has given me >20 more miles to a tank then Amoco Ultimate even with harder driving. I'm talking about Shell(93octane +25 miles) and CLARK(93octane +45 miles)...

Old 03-29-2003, 02:05 PM

Nike
Old 03-25-2005, 06:25 AM

I take exception to what you said ivelweyz. There are more variables involved than just the type of gas that result in how far you can drive on a tank of gas, eg. speed, traffic, highway, city, combo thereof. Did your test take you on the same route at the same time of day in all instances? I highly doubt it.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:30 AM
What was that?

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
I take exception to what you said ivelweyz. There are more variables involved than just the type of gas that result in how far you can drive on a tank of gas, eg. speed, traffic, highway, city, combo thereof. Did your test take you on the same route at the same time of day in all instances? I highly doubt it.
I don't have room to be picky. Whichever gas is cheapest. Now it is at $2.33/gal everywhere.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:37 AM
KH3 by popular demand

For some reason in my nissans I get good results from Exxon.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:38 AM

Octane for octane, I can't tell any difference.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by maxgtr2000
For some reason in my nissans I get good results from Exxon.
I agree. I drive my wife's TL on the weekends and my 96 I30 on weekdays to work with the same amount of traffic and the same driving style everytime. This winter, I have tried several brands and atleast w/ 70% highway, I noticed higher mpg w/ 93' Exxon, as opposed to Sunoco or Hertz or some other crappy one near my house.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 AM

california gas sux @$$, but i only put in Shell and 76 gas, both premium 91 octane. usually 76 was much cheaper than Shell, but since the gas prices went up, i guess 76 caught up and surpassed Shell. Both still way cheaper, and i mean way cheaper, than Chevron.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:40 AM

Did you guys know Shell & Texaco are the same company? I never had a problem with either station. For the most part I think gas is gas. However there have been occasions where the gas doesnt smell right. ie. using Gasetaria or Citco. I also stay away from BP Amaco. For some reason, I get mis-fires when I put that in (93).

I also go to the cheap gas stations when it is convenient. If it works, and it doesnt smell bad or feel bad. It's okay by my book.

I guess I am fortunate that NJ has the cheapest gas in the country now. The imported gas comes into Jersey, and there isnt too much tax on it either. By me: Highest for 93 oct. $2.21 Lowest 93 oct. $1.91(in the sticks)

my .02
Old 03-25-2005, 09:46 AM

I use either Mobil, Exxon. I just started using Sunoco. I filled up on 89 in Sunoco and it lasted me over 420 miles
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Mobil=Exxon. They are the same. I usally fill up at Mobile.
Here some tips on saving gas.

The surest way you can improve your fuel cost problem is to change your motoring habits. Listed below under four categories are 30 effective methods of doing so... no need to buy expensive add-on equipment.

ENGINE WARM-UP

1. Avoid prolonged warming up of engine, even on cold mornings - 30 to 45 seconds is plenty of time.

2. Be sure the automatic choke is disengaged after engine warm up... chokes often get stuck, resulting in bad gas/air mixture.

3. Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine.

4. Avoid "reving" the engine, especially just before you switch the engine off; this wastes fuel needlessly and washes oil down from the inside cylinder walls, owing to loss of oil pressure.

5. Eliminate jack-rabbit starts. Accelerate slowly when starting from dead stop. Don't push pedal down more than 1/4 of the total foot travel. This allows carburetor to function at peak efficiency.

HOW TO BUY GASOLINE

6. Buy gasoline during coolest time of day - early morning or late evening is best. During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind - gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to "volume of measurement".

7. Choose type and brand of gasoline carefully. Certain brands provide you with greater economy because of better quality. Use the brands which "seem" most beneficial.

8. Avoid filling gas tank to top. Overfilling results in sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.

HOW TO DRIVE ECONOMICALLY

9. Exceeding 40 mph forces your auto to overcome tremendous wind resistance.

10. Never exceed legal speed limit. Primarily they are set for your traveling safety, however better gas efficiency also occurs. Traveling at 55 mph give you up to 21% better mileage when compared to former legal speed limits of 65 mph and 70 mph.

Buy Now

11. Traveling at fast rates in low gears can consume up to 45% more fuel than is needed.

12. Manual shift driven cars allow you to change to highest gear as soon as possible, thereby letting you save gas if you "nurse it along". However, if you cause the engine to "bog down", premature wearing of engine parts occurs.

13. Keep windows closed when traveling at highway speeds. Open windows cause air drag, reducing your mileage by 10%.

14. Drive steadily. Slowing down or speeding up wastes fuel. Also avoid tailgating - the driver in front of you is unpredictable. Not only is it unsafe, but if affects your economy, if he slows down unexpectedly.

15.Think ahead when approaching hills. If you accelerate, do it before you reach the hill, not while you're on it.

GENERAL ADVICE

16. Do not rest left foot on floor board pedals while driving. The slightest pressure puts "mechanical drag" on components, wearing them down prematurely. This "dragging" also demands additional fuel usage.

17. Avoid rough roads whenever possible, because dirt or gravel rob you of up to 30% of your gas mileage.

18. Use alternate roads when safer, shorter, straighter. Compare traveling distance differences - remember that corners, curves and lane jumping requires extra gas. The shortest distance between two points is always straight.

19. Stoplights are usually timed for your motoring advantage. By traveling steadily at the legal speed limit you boost your chances of having the "green light" all the way.

20. Automatic transmissions should be allowed to cool down when your car is idling at a standstill, e.g. railroad crossings, long traffic lights, etc. Place gear into neutral position. This reduces transmission strain and allows transmission to cool.

21. Park car so that you can later begin to travel in forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas.

22. Regular tune-ups ensure best economy; check owner's manual for recommended maintenance intervals. Special attention should be given to maintaining clean air filters... diminished air flow increases gas waste.

23. Inspect suspension and chassis parts for occasional misalignment. Bent wheels, axles, bad shocks, broken springs, etc. create engine drag and are unsafe at high traveling speeds.

24. Remove snow tires during good weather seasons; traveling on deep tire tread really robs fuel!

25. Inflate all tires to maximum limit. Each tire should be periodically spun, balanced and checked for out-of-round. When shopping for new tires, get large diameter tires for rear wheels. Radial designs are the recognized fuel-savers; check manufacturer's specifications for maximum tire pressures.

26. Remove vinyl tops - they cause air drag. Rough surfaces disturb otherwise smooth air flow around a car's body. Bear in mind when buying new cars that a fancy sun roof helps disturb smooth air flow (and mileage).

27. Auto air conditioners can reduce fuel economy by 10% to 20%. Heater fan, power windows and seats increase engine load; the more load on your engine, the less miles per gallon.

28. Remove excess weight from trunk or inside of car - extra tires, back seats, unnecessary heavy parts. Extra weight reduces mileage, especially when driving up inclines.

29. Car pools reduce travel monotony and gas expense - all riders chip in to help you buy. Conversation helps to keep the driver alert. Pooling also reduces traffic congestion, gives the driver easier maneuverability and greater "steady speed" economy. For best results, distribute passenger weight evenly throughout car.

30. During cold weather watch for icicles frozen to car frame. Up to 100 lbs. can be quickly accumulated! Unremoved snow and ice cause tremendous wind resistance. Warm water thrown on (or hosed on) will eliminate it fast.

EXTRA TIPS

Install pressure regulator valve (sold in auto parts stores)... Use graphite motor oil... Beware of oil additives, regardless of advertising claims... Add Marvel Mystery Oil into gas fill-ups... Investigate fuel/water injection methods and products... combine short errands into one trip... Use special gas additives to prevent winter freezing of gas lines... convert your V8 engine over to a V4 - no special kits needed!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:07 AM

I Had tried Exxon 93 and it was ok, a couple weeks ago I switch to Chevron 93 and my MPG have been better since then, before I use to fill up 3 times a week now is only 2 I drive the same miles everyday at exactly the same times...

So until I find something better I will fill up with Chevron...
I also somekind of octane buster every now and then.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by CystumMax
Mobil=Exxon. They are the same. I usally fill up at Mobile.
Here some tips on saving gas.

The surest way you can improve your fuel cost problem is to change your motoring habits. Listed below under four categories are 30 effective methods of doing so... no need to buy expensive add-on equipment.

ENGINE WARM-UP

1. Avoid prolonged warming up of engine, even on cold mornings - 30 to 45 seconds is plenty of time.

2. Be sure the automatic choke is disengaged after engine warm up... chokes often get stuck, resulting in bad gas/air mixture.

3. Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine.

4. Avoid "reving" the engine, especially just before you switch the engine off; this wastes fuel needlessly and washes oil down from the inside cylinder walls, owing to loss of oil pressure.

5. Eliminate jack-rabbit starts. Accelerate slowly when starting from dead stop. Don't push pedal down more than 1/4 of the total foot travel. This allows carburetor to function at peak efficiency.

HOW TO BUY GASOLINE

6. Buy gasoline during coolest time of day - early morning or late evening is best. During these times gasoline is densest. Keep in mind - gas pumps measure volumes of gasoline, not densities of fuel concentration. You are charged according to "volume of measurement".

7. Choose type and brand of gasoline carefully. Certain brands provide you with greater economy because of better quality. Use the brands which "seem" most beneficial.

8. Avoid filling gas tank to top. Overfilling results in sloshing over and out of tank. Never fill gas tank past the first "click" of fuel nozzle, if nozzle is automatic.

HOW TO DRIVE ECONOMICALLY

9. Exceeding 40 mph forces your auto to overcome tremendous wind resistance.

10. Never exceed legal speed limit. Primarily they are set for your traveling safety, however better gas efficiency also occurs. Traveling at 55 mph give you up to 21% better mileage when compared to former legal speed limits of 65 mph and 70 mph.

Buy Now

11. Traveling at fast rates in low gears can consume up to 45% more fuel than is needed.

12. Manual shift driven cars allow you to change to highest gear as soon as possible, thereby letting you save gas if you "nurse it along". However, if you cause the engine to "bog down", premature wearing of engine parts occurs.

13. Keep windows closed when traveling at highway speeds. Open windows cause air drag, reducing your mileage by 10%.

14. Drive steadily. Slowing down or speeding up wastes fuel. Also avoid tailgating - the driver in front of you is unpredictable. Not only is it unsafe, but if affects your economy, if he slows down unexpectedly.

15.Think ahead when approaching hills. If you accelerate, do it before you reach the hill, not while you're on it.

GENERAL ADVICE

16. Do not rest left foot on floor board pedals while driving. The slightest pressure puts "mechanical drag" on components, wearing them down prematurely. This "dragging" also demands additional fuel usage.

17. Avoid rough roads whenever possible, because dirt or gravel rob you of up to 30% of your gas mileage.

18. Use alternate roads when safer, shorter, straighter. Compare traveling distance differences - remember that corners, curves and lane jumping requires extra gas. The shortest distance between two points is always straight.

19. Stoplights are usually timed for your motoring advantage. By traveling steadily at the legal speed limit you boost your chances of having the "green light" all the way.

20. Automatic transmissions should be allowed to cool down when your car is idling at a standstill, e.g. railroad crossings, long traffic lights, etc. Place gear into neutral position. This reduces transmission strain and allows transmission to cool.

21. Park car so that you can later begin to travel in forward gear; avoid reverse gear maneuvers to save gas.

22. Regular tune-ups ensure best economy; check owner's manual for recommended maintenance intervals. Special attention should be given to maintaining clean air filters... diminished air flow increases gas waste.

23. Inspect suspension and chassis parts for occasional misalignment. Bent wheels, axles, bad shocks, broken springs, etc. create engine drag and are unsafe at high traveling speeds.

24. Remove snow tires during good weather seasons; traveling on deep tire tread really robs fuel!

25. Inflate all tires to maximum limit. Each tire should be periodically spun, balanced and checked for out-of-round. When shopping for new tires, get large diameter tires for rear wheels. Radial designs are the recognized fuel-savers; check manufacturer's specifications for maximum tire pressures.

26. Remove vinyl tops - they cause air drag. Rough surfaces disturb otherwise smooth air flow around a car's body. Bear in mind when buying new cars that a fancy sun roof helps disturb smooth air flow (and mileage).

27. Auto air conditioners can reduce fuel economy by 10% to 20%. Heater fan, power windows and seats increase engine load; the more load on your engine, the less miles per gallon.

28. Remove excess weight from trunk or inside of car - extra tires, back seats, unnecessary heavy parts. Extra weight reduces mileage, especially when driving up inclines.

29. Car pools reduce travel monotony and gas expense - all riders chip in to help you buy. Conversation helps to keep the driver alert. Pooling also reduces traffic congestion, gives the driver easier maneuverability and greater "steady speed" economy. For best results, distribute passenger weight evenly throughout car.

30. During cold weather watch for icicles frozen to car frame. Up to 100 lbs. can be quickly accumulated! Unremoved snow and ice cause tremendous wind resistance. Warm water thrown on (or hosed on) will eliminate it fast.

EXTRA TIPS

Install pressure regulator valve (sold in auto parts stores)... Use graphite motor oil... Beware of oil additives, regardless of advertising claims... Add Marvel Mystery Oil into gas fill-ups... Investigate fuel/water injection methods and products... combine short errands into one trip... Use special gas additives to prevent winter freezing of gas lines... convert your V8 engine over to a V4 - no special kits needed!!!
Yeah....... I'l print this out and stick it to my dash to remind me everyday..... Why even take the car out of the garage, use public transpo. j/k
I use Sunoco 93 octane all the time. Does anyone, like someone mentioned above wonder when you're filling up on 93 octane, if you are actually getting 93 octane? Wonder if the gas is coming out of the 87 octane tank? Just wondering, I was thinking this yesterday as I was filling up. Thing that make you go hmmm.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM
on this site too damn much

WAWA 93(PA THING) cause its cheap or BP 93 when I'm on my way to school cause I'm on E
Old 03-25-2005, 11:36 AM
the Light is among you

3. Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine. - CystumMax

Uhh....and just where did you hear this load of dung? So starting your car every morning for 30 days is the same as letting the engine run for a 1/2 hour? I don't buy it. It doesn't take any more gas to start an engine than run it. I'd like to hear the analogy behind this tall tale.

It's usually either BP or Marathon for me. I'm not sure which is better, we do have Sunoco down the street but I've always avoided them because they **** me off with their 4-5 grades of gas. They start at 86 octane, who the hell uses that? The only thing I won't use is the Speedway/Quickymart gas with the alcohol mix.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by anj109
WAWA 93(PA THING) cause its cheap or BP 93 when I'm on my way to school cause I'm on E
WaWa owns j00...... me too.

Browsing through this thread, i realize that not too many people know where they're getting their gas from. Just how most sodas are made from either PepsiCo, or the Coca-Cola Companies, different brands of gas are actually the same.

Exxon and mobil are the same
Ammaco, hess, and (depending where you live) BJ's gas are the same.
Texaco and shell are the same.

Bah, it all sucks anyway...... Gas is friggin expensive and it's not even summer yet. Bas tards
Old 03-25-2005, 12:04 PM

DONT use Pilot gas. I filled up my last car there once, and the motor blew.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by chenzarino
DONT use Pilot gas. I filled up my last car there once, and the motor blew.
And why exactly did your motor blow?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:47 PM

I'm a Shell, Chevron, and Exxon/Mobil user. I also stay away from the mom & pop stations, as well as BP (silicon additive), but my major concern is staying away from stations with the fuel trucks currently filling their tanks. It kicks up any debris that might be in the tank, making it easier for the debris to make it into my car.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Originally Posted by theshawn
3. Don't start and stop engine needlessly. Idling your engine for one minute consumes the gas amount equivalent to when you start the engine. - CystumMax

Uhh....and just where did you hear this load of dung? So starting your car every morning for 30 days is the same as letting the engine run for a 1/2 hour? I don't buy it. It doesn't take any more gas to start an engine than run it. I'd like to hear the analogy behind this tall tale.

It's usually either BP or Marathon for me. I'm not sure which is better, we do have Sunoco down the street but I've always avoided them because they **** me off with their 4-5 grades of gas. They start at 86 octane, who the hell uses that? The only thing I won't use is the Speedway/Quickymart gas with the alcohol mix.

I didn't post this so you buy it LOL .
This is a free country do what you have to do.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:50 PM

theres a gas station called EL CHEAPO and there not even cheap
Old 03-25-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by g4nismo
theres a gas station called EL CHEAPO and there not even cheap

I just use whatever 91+ octane gas that is closes to me when I'm near E
Old 03-25-2005, 07:31 PM

i use premium leaded diesel ONLY it makes my car sound cool, kinda like a truck

Old 03-25-2005, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
i use premium leaded diesel ONLY it makes my car sound cool, kinda like a truck

yes and the smoke it produces will bust out the environmentalists on yo ****