4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

springs and stock struts Life?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

springs and stock struts Life?

If I use the Max Speed springs and the stock struts, I know they will wear out faster, that is what I've read here anyway, but what kind of shortning of life are we talking.....10K, 20K or more? I know this is hard to answer cause condition of stock strut is the unknown. But does anyone have a best guess? I probably need to replace mine now anyway they have 108K on them but the car rides fine, I have read as much as I can without search, I want springs and struts but money is tight, so I figured I buy the springs and just ride until the stock struts are shot, but if that means pulling everything apart again in 5K miles forget it, I'll just wait till I have the money.
One more thing how do the GR-2's do with the lowering springs? I'm only looking for a 1.5 inch drop, so were not talking anything dramatic here. I hear the Max Speeds will do about 1.7 front and 1.4 rear which is fine. I really can't afford the AGX's
Opinions please,
Thanks
2Maximas
Old 03-29-2003, 10:33 AM
I need a truck

Re: springs and stock struts Life?

Originally posted by 2maximas
If I use the Max Speed springs and the stock struts, I know they will wear out faster, that is what I've read here anyway, but what kind of shortning of life are we talking.....10K, 20K or more? I know this is hard to answer cause condition of stock strut is the unknown. But does anyone have a best guess? I probably need to replace mine now anyway they have 108K on them but the car rides fine, I have read as much as I can without search, I want springs and struts but money is tight, so I figured I buy the springs and just ride until the stock struts are shot, but if that means pulling everything apart again in 5K miles forget it, I'll just wait till I have the money.
One more thing how do the GR-2's do with the lowering springs? I'm only looking for a 1.5 inch drop, so were not talking anything dramatic here. I hear the Max Speeds will do about 1.7 front and 1.4 rear which is fine. I really can't afford the AGX's
Opinions please,
Thanks
2Maximas
gr2's are a direct replacement of stock struts, they aren't meant for lowering the car ... sure you can do it, but you're only going to kill em fast that way ... your stock struts already have 108k miles on em, they're going to go ka-put faster than you think if you lower your whip ... probably your best bet is to wait till you have the money for the agx's to install the springs
Old 03-29-2003, 02:19 PM

Has anyone ever done adjustables (AGX) in the front and standart GR-2 in the back? or just leave the stock shocks? I'm trying to do this on the cheap as you can well tell, are shocks as sensitive to lowering as struts are? With the drop being larger in the front, less in the back, would this work? Or am I completely off base here? Import Car Parts dot com has the best prices on the AGX's Front=106.19 GR-2=66.39 rear AGX=80.23 and the GR-2's=54.29
However....There is a Dutch auction for the AGX's on eBay.....all 4 for 328+18 shipping. That is the very best I have been able to find. They do have a regular website, foreigncarpartsonline but their regular price is over 400 there.
Anybody know of a place with better prices?
I just put factory 16" 5 spokes and some 225/50/16's on and the cornering diff. is amazing compared to what I had, NOW I WANT MORE!!! but with AGX's and Maxspeed springs I'm looking at around $470.00 I guess one BIG question is it worth the cash? I don't autocross, or race, I just love the feeling of being glued to the road, on a cloverleaf on ramp, or on nice twisty roads. How much seat of the pants improvement is felt?
Sorry for the long post, I just have to ask questions until the search function comes back online, I'm sure much of this has been tried/discussed b4. I read the FAQ or mini FAQ on springs and struts including coilovers, can someone explain to me exactly what coilovers are and what makes them better or worse?
Thanks
2Maximas
Old 03-29-2003, 03:29 PM

Front AND rears are struts. Maxima had NO shocks. Gr2 work ok with Maxspeed springs.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:33 PM

They (parts stores) call them shocks....whatever, anyway I get conflicting reports about this and really am not sure WTF to do. Some say GR-2's won't last if you use lowering springs, some say they will. He11 I don't know?!?!
Thanks
2Maximas