4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cold Air Intake or Regular Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 03:43 PM

Cold Air Intake or Regular Intake?

Yo I've got a '96 Maxima SE 5 spd. and I'm debating whether I should get a cold air intake or a regular intake (like Jim Wolf Tech.). Is there a difference? Which one do you think is better?
Old 03-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Cold Air Intake or Regular Intake?

Originally posted by MaxRookie
Yo I've got a '96 Maxima SE 5 spd. and I'm debating whether I should get a cold air intake or a regular intake (like Jim Wolf Tech.). Is there a difference? Which one do you think is better?
Actually there are some differences... i'm not really sure... but i think you should get the CAI... if i'm correct... it's better for manuals... but I could be wrong.. can anyone back me up or am I wrong?
Old 03-29-2003, 06:38 PM

Most people say that if you have an auto you should not go with a pop charger beacuse the low end lag it gives will be much more noticable. But with a 5sp it is not as bad. As for the CAI that is supposed to give no low end lag but not be as good in the top end as the pop charger is. Most people like the CAI intake and feel that they give the best gains but it really is all up to you. There are also hybrid intakes like frankencar. Which combines an midpipe (upper CAI tube) with a pop filter. Alot of people are going that route too. It is alway a debate of which is better but it pretty much it seems to be this...

Pop charger= better in upper RPM range, but not as good in the low RPM range

CAI= better in the low end RPM range, but not as good in the upper RPM range

Hybrid= gives you a nice mix of high and low RPM power, but supposibly still gives you a little low end lag but not as much as a pop charger, and will be even less noticable with a 5 sp. And top end is good
Old 03-29-2003, 06:51 PM

Where could I get a hybrid intake?
Old 03-29-2003, 06:58 PM

Frankencar
Cattman
Weapon-R

Or you could buy a Place racing upper intake pipe and either a JWT or Stillen pop charger and that would give you a hybrid. most people tend to just get the frankencar. Since its only $130 and comes with a nice K&N filter.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:15 PM
Lil 8

Originally posted by MaxRookie
Where could I get a hybrid intake?
also big thing I have read is that the CAI compared to the pop charger is the air temp. Colder air has a more denser air molecules resulting a more power, while you are sucking in that 200 degree temp combined from both the engine and the radiator u are getting hotter air which contains less dense air molecues = less power. A self test you can do. Start ya car up on a cold morning if you come to a stop sign before the engine temp rises to normal, lay your foot into the gas you will see how fast a response you get, now try that after the car has risen to it's normal temperature. you wont get the same response or at least the close to
Old 03-29-2003, 07:43 PM
The original VQ...

or you could get the injen witch i will be getting soon and you get the best of both, it like inbetween cause it is semi cold air.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
or you could get the injen witch i will be getting soon and you get the best of both, it like inbetween cause it is semi cold air.
How much is the injen?
Old 03-29-2003, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
I still dont get the concept of the injen intake, its next to the exhaust manifold and the fan is blowing hot air onto the filter and also including the piping length.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

I still dont get the concept of the injen intake, its next to the exhaust manifold and the fan is blowing hot air onto the filter and also including the piping length.
See, that's the first thing people think about when they see the design, but according to those that own one (from what I've read) the filter actually sits slightly out of the way of the fan's airstream, slightly under the battery tray.

The design makes sense when you think of temperature stratification in the engine bay; hottest goes to the top, and coldest goes to the bottom. The hotter the air, the faster it rises, so in theory, the hottest air from the exhaust manifold and tranny should rise the fastest, therefore have less overall effect on the temperature of the air around the filter. Since the filter is situated lower in the engine bay than a pop or hybrid, it should be getting "colder" air.

Whether or not the air temperature of this region in the engine bay is any colder than the air from the fender well that CAI's feed off is still uncertain. But once again, Injen's positioning of the filter puts it closer to the front of the car too, allowing the air entering the filter to cool to ambient over a shorter time lapse than a pop/hybrid after the car starts moving.

But as far as I am informed nobody's gotten numbers comparing the three in terms of dyno performance, quarter mile, or real world driving.

Hope this helps.
RL
Old 03-29-2003, 11:25 PM

budget exhaust sells a injen style intake for $160 i believe.
Old 03-30-2003, 01:20 AM
V^___^V

i had a K&N drop-in before in my auto and i felt mucho lag at low rpm, and recently my BOMz racing CAI with K&N filter was installed and i felt less lag at lower-rpm... personally for performance i would go for CAI on an auto (cuz i felt better gain), and if u want to avoid the setup hassle jus go with a JWT/stillen/K&N drop-in or frankencar hybrid... cutting stock metal was a pain for me