4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need some Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need some Help Please!

I have 96 Maxima, It just started to have this problem 2 days ago, during the night, I turn my head lights on and i notice there is no night light on the ac/heating turning control..the one you control off, 1 2 3 4...and the right above the hazzardous switch light is out, can someone tell me what do I have to do, and is there easy step to fix the problem rather than going to the dealer...

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My hazard light is out as well and I gave up trying to get the stupid button out to fix it cause it is a HUGE PITA from what I could tell. I figured I would break it.

Best bet would be to get a new button entirely and then see if you can get that one out.

The Heater/AC control is easy. There is a screw in LED behind there that you get from the dealer. It is like two dollars and it twists in.

Just be careful taking the control apart... it is not hard, but you could break something easily if you lose patience.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the quick reply.

how much does it cost if I fix in the dealer...b/c i think i'm going to break something...i probably lose patience and might even break the whole car...
Old 03-31-2003, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I imagine they would charge you for an hour of work... so probably around 70 dollars.

Seriously, anyone can do it... just don't yank on anything too hard.

You just get the unit out (if you know how to remove your stereo, this should be easy).

It is all clips and a few screws. You need a kind of long philips head screw driver... but not a big one, just a long one with a smaller head on it.

You can see the screws that have to come out.

Then make sure all the clips holding everything together are pushed in and carefully pull out the card. The LED you have to replace is literally just twist out and twist in. Then put everything carefully back together.

Once you get it apart it is like riding a bike... the first time is just a pain cause you don't quite know how to do it.

All told, they would probably change the button and light for a hundred bucks or so...
Old 03-31-2003, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

100 buck for that crap

can you explain me again..starting from beginning...sorry I really newbie at this....I just want to be ready, so i won't make stupid mistakes..how do i first take the unit out...i think that's the hardest part...and the LED? do i have to order those at dealer or the dealer will have it on stock...