4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cold Start Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cold Start Problem

I have a '97 GXE that is having problems starting when cold.

Basically what happens is I can crank all I want and it will not start until I tap the gas a little bit. Then I have to hold the gas a little bit to get the idle straight. Once the idle is okay the car runs fine. Has all expected power.

The battery is only a few months old and it cranks like a champ.

Car starts fine while warm.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:18 AM

Re: Cold Start Problem

Originally posted by doopstr
I have a '97 GXE that is having problems starting when cold.

Basically what happens is I can crank all I want and it will not start until I tap the gas a little bit. Then I have to hold the gas a little bit to get the idle straight. Once the idle is okay the car runs fine. Has all expected power.

The battery is only a few months old and it cranks like a champ.

Car starts fine while warm.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Clean the throttle body... i had the same problem with mine and after i pulled the AI off and cleaned the TB it started every time.

http://motorvate.ca/ and there is a section there for throttle body cleaning
Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Clean the throttle body for sure.

Also check the fast idle cam. On the throttle body linkage side, look under the linkage. You'll see a plunger that comes off the throttle body. When your car is cold, that plunger is retracted. Look at the linkage that rests on it. Follow it up till you come to the first cam plate it hits. There are two scroll marks which should be in line. If their not in line, use the set screw down near the plunger and adjust it untill the scroll marks line up.

It's much easier to see all this when the air box and resonator are out of that car. Check it when you clean the throttle body.

You can also check your engine coolant temperature sensor. It may be out of spec. You'll need an Ohm meter and the Haynes shop manual to get the correct resistance readings at specific temperatures in order to see if it's reporting the correct engine temp to the ECU.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks a lot! I'll try to take care of it this weekend.
Old 04-04-2003, 03:36 PM

had the same problem. I cleaned my throttle body then i took a long flat screw driver and wrapped on old rag around the tip, sprayed rag wit with TB cleaner and cleaned the inner hard to get part of the TB while holding the buttrefly plates opened. (rag was full of dirt afterwards) Also cleaned battery terminals and connector (which will reset the ecu cuz u have to disconnect). Its important to clean the TB plate as well as behind the plate and the wall of the TB behind the plate. Clean or recharge your intake aswell, and fuel filter.