4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 Max timing chain\belt problem. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

96 Max timing chain\belt problem. Help please.

I have 96 Maxima twin cam with 68,000 mi. Last night I started it and after about one second the engine stopped. When I turn it over it whines. sounds like the timing belt broke. I was told it is actually a chain. Is that correct? What is the possibility that the chain broke? My brother says that when I crank it the drive belts move so it appears the bottom end is turning? Is this a difficult procedure to replace? I have done several domestic timing belts but never one on a Nissan. Nissans always seem to run forever! Is this an interferance engine (V-6 3000cc)? Am I looking at valve damage? Any place on line to get the repair proceedure? I know this is alot but it seems you guys know just about everything about Maxs so any and al help is greatly appreciated.

CK
Old 04-05-2003, 04:42 PM

ummm if the car restarts after it dies, kinda sounds like an alternator maybe
Old 04-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You got a timing chain, so it's not that. I've never heard the VQ reffered to as a twin cam, but i guess the description fits.

I'd look at the alternator.

DW
Old 04-05-2003, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The car started and then completely quit. I can turn the key and the engine cranks. Seems like it would crank for ever if I wanted to. When I turn the key the drive belts on the passneger side turn. I understand that it is a dual link chain and would be extremely unusual if not unique for this to break. Trust me, I really don't want it to have broken. What else could it be? It has plenty of juice and cranks. If it was an alternater problem I assume you guys are assuming it has no power to turn over? Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by poolshark1
The car started and then completely quit. I can turn the key and the engine cranks. Seems like it would crank for ever if I wanted to. When I turn the key the drive belts on the passneger side turn. I understand that it is a dual link chain and would be extremely unusual if not unique for this to break. Trust me, I really don't want it to have broken. What else could it be? It has plenty of juice and cranks. If it was an alternater problem I assume you guys are assuming it has no power to turn over? Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
I have to wonder if this was a failure of one of the crankshaft position sensors.

I believe there are three separate chains in the VQ30de engine in our Maxima. Two small chains that connect the two cams per head-cylinder bank, and one large chain that connects the crankshaft to two of the cams up top (thus driving the other two cams up top).

I would have to say that if you were to open the oil filler cap and have someone watch in there while someone cranked the engine you would be able to see if the cams on the front head were turning.

Very unlikely that the chains have broken.

I would check the ECU for codes, and go from there. Look in the FAQs for information on how to check the ECU codes.

Anyone else have some ideas?

White96MaxSE
Old 04-05-2003, 06:48 PM

AAHHHH whitemax you just reminded me of when my csps went...
MY engine would crank forever too! it was almost like it would start at first, then die, like it had no fuel! and then it would crank forever and not start after that...when it went, i also blew flywheel teeth too! its a costly fix my friend (high 500s) but hopefully you didn't mess up your flywheel!
Mine died when i was DRIVING! my whole car just shut off!
good luck man, i hope this helps, i totally forgot about the crankshaft position sensor b4 now!