4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ATTN: ALL suspension gurus.... what will i need??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:12 PM

ATTN: ALL suspension gurus.... what will i need??

Im placing my order for some AGX's this coming friday along with Sprint springs. This is all goin to replace my old H&R/Tokico combo from back in the day. From the looks of things all of my OEM equpiment is shot! So ill be looking to swap out whatever is necessary while i have the front and rear apart.

UPDATED LIST:

front-end
1) x2 strut bearings - replacing with OEM
2) x2 spring isolators - replacing with OEM
3) x2 dust boots - replacing with KYB or OEM
4) x2 brake line clips - replacing with OEM
5) x2 front strut mounts - replacing with OEM

rear-end
1) x2 spring isolators - replacing with OEM
2) x2 dust boots - replacing with KYB or OEM
3) x2 rear strut mounts - OEM or Motivational Mounts
4) Radio Shack wire wrap ( thanks to LIME )

if you guys think of anything else i should swap out while im in there please post.

thanks,

Ant
Old 04-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You don't need wire wrap if your using OEM isloators.

You don't need the brake line clips.

Use KYB dust covers all around - there cheaper and they already have the shortened bump stop. Nissan is now making a one piece replacement dust cover/bump stop for the fronts. You can't trim them anymore.

With a drop like Sprints have, you will need all the suspension travel you can get back. You may want to get a set of the motivational rear mounts to gain some travel in the rear, especially since your cutting the spring.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What do you plan to wrap the springs with? I followed Nick97SE's advice and picked up Radio Shack Spiral Cable wrap. I haven't put it on yet but I'm not sure what else people use. It is a thick plastic wrap, and I'm worried it will break under the pressure of the springs. Any other suggestions? I also think you should wrap all 4 as opposed to just the rear, therefore you won't need the OEM spring isolators.

Ant I am replacing a alot of my suspension parts soon also. You might want to add the front and rear strut mounts to your list, a lot of people do (since they are typically worn). They're expensive though, be prepared to spend $40 for the fronts and $115+ if you want the shortened rear mounts.

The Motivational mounts basically allow 1" more suspension travel in the rear. They are 2 small pieces of metal, nothing special, which is why a lot of people refuse to pay $130 for them. IIRC there is a GroupDeal that just ended you can try to get in on, they were $115 shipped. I know the price is steep but right now there are no other alternatives.

You can get the KYB Dustboots in the FS forum, from Tirerack or Cattman.

Another thing you may want to consider when cutting the springs is downforce. I have one coil cut in the rears, and I am about .3" higher in the rear than in the front (whereas uncut I was previously .7"). While driving, my car is perfectly level. The reason I didn't cut 2 is because I didn't want my car to look or feel like it was loaded down when driving. Cumalot has 2 cut coils, you might want to ask him how he likes it.

-Cyrus
Old 04-06-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Vyrus
What do you plan to wrap the springs with?
Im gonna buy that wire wrap from Radio shack.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I think that this is NOT in the FAQs because there have been so many threads about it lately. If you page back (not even searching) in the 4th gen forum there are 2-3 threads on this, and thiose threads have links to search results (which nondonors CAN view). It may be added to FAQs later, but for now just go back to thurs or fri of last week.

Originally posted by Lime

Okay, no offense, but this was all me like 1.5 years ago.

NJMAXSELTD suggested using polyeurethane plumbing hose, but I found that the coil wrap was much more durable and easier to use. I HATE YOU ALL for forgetting that.
I did not forget. I just dropped (H&Rs and Tokicos) yesterday and the radio shack spiral wrap was perfect. I have no coil noise (but I do have another BIG noise that i will post seperately). I wrapped every other coil on front and rear. It took just over 1 pack of the coil wrap to do that.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

While you're at it, you might as well replace the bushings on your front sway bar with the Polyurethene bushings. Just make sure to grease them real good.

I used the coil wrap, but after a few months it began to make noise again. I'm not sure if it was from the cold, snow and salt, or if it just wasn't wrapped tight enought. But I replaced it with the OEM isolation sleeves and I've been noise free since.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:07 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by ny96max
[T]he point of MY POST...was to talk about the parts needed when installing new springs/struts

Ant
With 78K on the car I replaced ONLY the strut bearings and dustboots. Everything else was in great shape so I re-used it.