4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

first time at the track and ran 14's

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 02:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by fearthegecko

It means you open your mouth too much.....

Seriously tho, this thread has gone to ****.

To all those that say,"if you don't like his times, run your own car there...", that's the stupidest **** i've heard. Our cars aren't in question here. Hell, no one's car is being questioned, it's the track. And the main reason why the track is in question (other than the fast times) Is because of the one sh1tty picture that was posted in defense of the track.

Somebody didnt read the whole post.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Originally posted by Dave B

Yep, something is definately going on because I really don't think the ECU is only going to net you a mere .14 and less than a 1 mph. Even with a horrible 2.3 60' (.1 longer than usual), my ET dropped a solid .25 and I gained a heathly 3mph+. With a similiar 60 foot, I expect a good .35-.4 and 3mph improvement on average. Neal pretty much saw the same thing on his car and so did Requin6. I'm shifting at as close as I can to an indicated 7100rpms (fuel cut seems to be right at an indicated 7200). The CEL is a little strange. Too bad you didn't grab it to see what it was. Everything we do/don't do at the track seems to be in hindsight, ehhh

IMO, your car might be showing the signs of what I talked about in the post concerning the ECU learning the car. Looking at your ET/MPH, the majority of your car's improvement comes in the first 1/8 mile which is not normal. Most of us MEVI/JWT users are seeing much of the improvement in the final 1/8 where it struts it's stuff in 3rd gear. I would have estimated your ET/MPH should have been at least a 14.5@97mph with the ECU which is pretty respectable for the heavier I30. Are you sure your VI was activating during the runs and what was it set at?

Dave
I really want to agree with you. I sure hope to see better results when I purchase mine.
Yes, the VI was activating just fine all day. It was set at 5K.

The maxima ECU uses pre-programmed fuel and timing maps at WOT (open loop mode). Whether those be aftermarket or OEM timing maps, they do not change the longer you have your ECU plugged in to your car. I don't buy claims to the contrary, not for one second.
As much as I would like Neal to be wrong, I can't really argue with his statement.
I'll just have to go make some more runs when I get my own JWT to find out for sure.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

I really want to agree with you. I sure hope to see better results when I purchase mine.
Yes, the VI was activating just fine all day. It was set at 5K.

As much as I would like Neal to be wrong, I can't really argue with his statement.
I'll just have to go make some more runs when I get my own JWT to find out for sure.

I believe it does actually learn. I unhooked my battery about 2 weeks ago for some audio upgrades and when I drove it, it just didnt have the extra(wild) side to it. It has been about a week or so and it is definitly a difference in it. Also gas mileage has gone up alittle. I am currently getting 23-24 mpg from mild-wild driving.