4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilovers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilovers)

When we went to install WaydeMax's coilovers yesterday we realized that in order for the sleve to fit on the front AGXs we would have to file or grind the octagional flange off of the strut housing. If you look at the directions and the parts this will all make sense, but if you wait until the car is apart it could present a problem. We had no dremel, no grinder, and it took us a while to find a file. Even after that it took over an hour to file the 16 points off of both struts. Had we seen this in the directions earlier it could have been dealt with beforehand, but it was too late. Other struts do not have this flange so it shoudl not be a problem, but if you have AGXs with coilovers and are thinking about installing soon you might want to look at things beforehand to check this out. By design, I cannot see how other coilovers would be any different from the Ground Controls in having this problem, but I could be mistaken.

Also, we found that a spring compressor and some soap were helpful in "coaxing" the rear strut/sleeve assembly together. The isolation sleeve that goes inside the threaded coilover sleeve was a b!+ch to get on there without mechanical assistance.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Dev

Re: FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilovers)

Originally posted by phenryiv1
When we went to install WaydeMax's coilovers yesterday we realized that in order for the sleve to fit on the front AGXs we would have to file or grind the octagional flange off of the strut housing. If you look at the directions and the parts this will all make sense, but if you wait until the car is apart it could present a problem. We had no dremel, no grinder, and it took us a while to find a file. Even after that it took over an hour to file the 16 points off of both struts. Had we seen this in the directions earlier it could have been dealt with beforehand, but it was too late. Other struts do not have this flange so it shoudl not be a problem, but if you have AGXs with coilovers and are thinking about installing soon you might want to look at things beforehand to check this out. By design, I cannot see how other coilovers would be any different from the Ground Controls in having this problem, but I could be mistaken.

Also, we found that a spring compressor and some soap were helpful in "coaxing" the rear strut/sleeve assembly together. The isolation sleeve that goes inside the threaded coilover sleeve was a b!+ch to get on there without mechanical assistance.
hey thanks for the heads up...
im going to get some some used ground controls from an org member and will be running it with stock shocks for the time being...until i upgrade them
will i have the same problem trying to put the GC's on stock shocks?
they were previously on kyb agx.

thanks
Old 04-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilovers)

Originally posted by Dev

hey thanks for the heads up...
im going to get some some used ground controls from an org member and will be running it with stock shocks for the time being...until i upgrade them
will i have the same problem trying to put the GC's on stock shocks?
they were previously on kyb agx.

thanks
No. The problem is with initial compatibility between AGXs and the coilovers. It is only AGXs, as far as I know. From what i have been told, even the other KYB model, the GR2, does not have the same flange.

In terms of fit, you should be fine. In terms of longevity of your struts, I would not expect much, unless you are staying at or near stock height. Even then it could be a problem given the spring rates of the GC coilovers.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Dev

Re: Re: Re: FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilovers

Originally posted by phenryiv1

No. The problem is with initial compatibility between AGXs and the coilovers. It is only AGXs, as far as I know. From what i have been told, even the other KYB model, the GR2, does not have the same flange.

In terms of fit, you should be fine. In terms of longevity of your struts, I would not expect much, unless you are staying at or near stock height. Even then it could be a problem given the spring rates of the GC coilovers.
i will leave it near stock height until i get some aftermarket shocks. maybe 0.5-1" drop for daily driving...not much more than that until i get new shocks.
if they blow...its not really a big problem.

but when i install it, i do have to cut the flange off the stock shocks/struts right?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: FYI for people looking at AGXs with Ground Control Coilovers (&maybe other coilo

Originally posted by Dev

i will leave it near stock height until i get some aftermarket shocks. maybe 0.5-1" drop for daily driving...not much more than that until i get new shocks.
if they blow...its not really a big problem.

but when i install it, i do have to cut the flange off the stock shocks/struts right?
No, only the AGXs have the flange.

If you are comfortable taking the car apart rto do essentially 2 installs, then that is cool, but if you do it and then re-do it it will be like having to do the whole install twice. I do understand that money may be too tight to afford struts right now, but if you are paying someone else to do the install you might want to wait.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:39 AM
Redlinemax Owner

patrick, where did you get the install directions for the ground control install, I got mine used but will be installing them today
Old 05-23-2004, 08:18 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by Redmax
patrick, where did you get the install directions for the ground control install, I got mine used but will be installing them today
They came with the groundcontrols. They were not installed on my car, but I was working with louie and jason r on the install.

Everything went together in a pretty logical manner, but we had to use soap to get the sleve and the rubber isolator to slide down on the strut body. Without that it was too tough to get the assembly together.

WaydeMax was the guy whose car it was- he may have the GC original instructions.