4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help me... how to change REAR brakepads??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

help me... how to change REAR brakepads??

I've done the front... no problem, but now it's time to do the rear. I'm actually not replacing it, but rather taking the pads (plenty life left) out and putting shims + anti squeel glue. Apparently after fixing the front brakes which don't squeel anymore, i noticed that the rear brake pads don't even have shims on them!

I did some searching and understand that I should get the Rear Nissan Brake Kit... hopefully it will be under $20 at the dealership. I am sure the pads that are on it right now are nissan too... at least the fronts were.

Since I've already done the fronts... i have a good idea on what to do. Basically, i remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper and slip it off. The thing though is I don't understand the part about the parking brake line. I heard that it's in the way? Can someone elaborate on that? thanks.

Also, do I still need to unscrew the cap on the brake resevoir? How am i to push the piston back. Is it the same procedure as using the C-clamp? I heard something about screwing something.

Alright guys, thanks for all your help! Is there any of those useful sites we have that show how to change the rear pads?? wish me luck!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rear caliper doesn't compress the same as the front. The piston the rear caliper actually has to be turn back in. YOu'll notice that the real caliper has four notches in it. you can buy a tool at the auto store which allows you to turn it with a wrench, or you can try to turn it with pliers. I bought the tool for $5 and it was worth it.

1. Yes remove the resevoir when you compress the caliper, make sure no brake fluid comes out. Make sure to put the resevoir back on BEFORE you push the brake pedal.

2. Just make sure the parking brake is not up while you try to change the pads.

If you've done the front you shouldn't have a problem with the rear, just remember the rears don't compress like the fronts, they need to twist in.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:37 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by breaux124
Rear caliper doesn't compress the same as the front. The piston the rear caliper actually has to be turn back in. YOu'll notice that the real caliper has four notches in it. you can buy a tool at the auto store which allows you to turn it with a wrench, or you can try to turn it with pliers. I bought the tool for $5 and it was worth it.

1. Yes remove the resevoir when you compress the caliper, make sure no brake fluid comes out. Make sure to put the resevoir back on BEFORE you push the brake pedal.

2. Just make sure the parking brake is not up while you try to change the pads.

If you've done the front you shouldn't have a problem with the rear, just remember the rears don't compress like the fronts, they need to twist in.

parking brake shouldn't be up?? How am i suppose to stop the car? I am 5spd.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:53 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by nadir_s

i would guess get the rear up on jack stands cuz then the parking brake issue would be irrelevant n e ewayz
Old 04-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Put it in gear.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:06 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

ok makes sense, thanks.

so that's the only parking brake issue? just leave it down? do i need to remove a bracket or anything?
Old 04-07-2003, 09:19 PM

ok makes sense, thanks.

so that's the only parking brake issue? just leave it down? do i need to remove a bracket or anything?
That's it. You only need to get the caliper off, I'm 99% sure you don't have to mess with the parking brake bracket.
Old 04-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you need to take off the parking brake cable. theres a spring that holds it, just turn the thing that the spring sits on, and the spring should come out. then theres a clip holding the cable in also, remove that, and you're all set.

i would definetely buy the tool to turn the caliper, it makes life a lot easier.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by spiff56747
you need to take off the parking brake cable.
To add to that note, be really careful with the boot on the end of the cable. I busted mine and the cable balancer between left/rigth e-brake cables was out-of-wack. The one cable wasn't cheap to replace!