4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension debacle- How should I fix it?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Suspension debacle- How should I fix it?!?

As posted Monday, when we did my suspension install this weekend an isolator was left out. I opened up the trunk last night and sure enough, things move freely in the strut mount.

So I called a few shops and they said it would be $50 to pull the strut assemblies and add the isolator. Normally I would just laugh and do it at home but it is about 40* here and rainy, and it is not supposed to get any better until the weekend...when I work ALL weekend long.

Am I doing any damage to the struts (or to the car itself) by riding around like this until it stops raining? It is ridiculously annoying to listen to, but I can live with it for a few more days, as long as I am not doing damage.

So is it safe to do this, or should I just drop $50 on 15 minutes of work? It would take me no longer than an hour to do @ home, if it were dry outside...
Old 04-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Well the piston is moving around in the mount. It could start to ware things out and then your in trouble. Make sure the threads on the top aren't getting chewed up.

IDEA - You could try to put that bushing in the top part just to get rid of the play...... Working in your trunk will keep you nice and dry till the rain stops.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Well the piston is moving around in the mount. It could start to ware things out and then your in trouble. Make sure the threads on the top aren't getting chewed up.

IDEA - You could try to put that bushing in the top part just to get rid of the play...... Working in your trunk will keep you nice and dry till the rain stops.
The threads at the top are entirely protected by the top nut. The part that was left out it the large metal "cup" that goes just below the mounting point, so eventually it will need to be but in there correctly, but you have a good idea about just putting the leftover peices on the top until the weather breaks...at least that woudl eliminate the movement. I had actually considered that last night when I was removing the trunk liner, but I am always afraid that "rigging" something temporary will be worse.

Tom, you are my suspension idol. Thanks for the verification of my idea.

I know that I CAN do this stuff, and that I can do it right. It is just that I lack the confidence to try things on my own. Like with the coilovers that we installed on WaydeMax's car- it all made sense to me, but I had to verify everything that I did with someone else because I was just not familiar enough with the whole setup to know if i was right or not.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:29 AM

I would bite the bullet and change it myself.... but it really depends if it's worth the $50 to have someone fix it for you.

Example:
Shop wants to charge about 2.5 hours of work to replace my wheel bearing. That's about $250 for the part+labor (not sure about alignment). I almost laughed in the guys face for that...so I'm going to get a used spindle for $50 and I'm going to replace it myself even though I could afford to pay a shop. It's the principle about it...
Old 04-09-2003, 07:45 AM
rmb

Re: Suspension debacle- How should I fix it?!?

Originally posted by phenryiv1
As posted Monday, when we did my suspension install this weekend an isolator was left out. I opened up the trunk last night and sure enough, things move freely in the strut mount.

So I called a few shops and they said it would be $50 to pull the strut assemblies and add the isolator. Normally I would just laugh and do it at home but it is about 40* here and rainy, and it is not supposed to get any better until the weekend...when I work ALL weekend long.

Am I doing any damage to the struts (or to the car itself) by riding around like this until it stops raining? It is ridiculously annoying to listen to, but I can live with it for a few more days, as long as I am not doing damage.

So is it safe to do this, or should I just drop $50 on 15 minutes of work? It would take me no longer than an hour to do @ home, if it were dry outside...

Put a raincoat on .... you sissy!

-RMB
Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by genepool
I would bite the bullet and change it myself.... but it really depends if it's worth the $50 to have someone fix it for you.
It is not that i do not WANT to do it myself, but it is supposed to rain for the next 3 days and I work weekends (2nd job).

I HATE the rattling, but I can handle it as long as I am not likely to do damage. First thing next week I will be fixing it myself. I just went to NTB to see if they could do it to just have it finished and they were booked. I want to do the temporary fix that Tom described but that will not be until tomorrow evening at least.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Suspension debacle- How should I fix it?!?

Originally posted by rmb

Put a raincoat on .... you sissy!

-RMB
Hey, be nice!