4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tire Thread Front/Rear

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tire Thread Front/Rear

For some odd reason... my Tires in the front are worse than the tires in the back... I have a lot more thread in the back than in the front... I didn't even notice it until today.. it's weird...

I know I should rotate my tires but I got them in August but haven't driven around a lot + i took them off for the winter... any other reason this could happen...

being automatic?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The front tires wear faster than the rears on FWD cars. I have Z rated tires and I rotate them every 5 to 7 thousand miles. Also, HOW you drive is just as important to tire wear as the number of miles you put on them. You can burn out a set of tires in 10k miles if you drive them hard enough.

Sounds like you need to rotate those suckers. Transmission type doesn't really factor into this issue. You can drive a car hard or soft with either type (manual or auto).
Old 04-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

What we are posting on is a THREAD. Your tires have TREAD.

J/K. Seriously, the guy above has it right. Not does FWD put rotational atress on the fronts over the rears, the weight over the drive wheels in corners makes them wear fast. Add to that the FWD and you have a recepie for fast front tire wear.
Old 04-09-2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by phenryiv1
What we are posting on is a THREAD. Your tires have TREAD.

J/K. Seriously, the guy above has it right. Not does FWD put rotational atress on the fronts over the rears, the weight over the drive wheels in corners makes them wear fast. Add to that the FWD and you have a recepie for fast front tire wear.
yeah I will rotate them soon... i just had the impression that since autos are heavier... it gives more weight to the front.. which causes the thread to wear out...

but thanx!
Old 04-09-2003, 08:21 PM

Re: Tire Thread Front/Rear

Hey,

I have had the same type of problem, and I just rotated my tires this weekend. I don't know the wear pattern on yours, but on my front tires, it was the outer most tread that was worn. Always make sure to cross the wheels when you rotate. Example: front right goes on rear left and rear left to front right. Left front goes to rear right and rear right to left front. This way you will promote proper wear. Also it wouldn't hurt to clean the inside of the wheels, since if you never did that before (like me), then there is a lot of road debris inside. You can as well use tire shine to protect them from the inside tire wall. It only makes sense to do that if you put the stuff on the outside tire wall. Also check the lug nuts after 600 miles and make sure that your tire pressure is good. Front: 32 PSI (cold) Rear: 29 PSI (cold)

Sorry for writing so much, but I have to tell you the benefits of what I have noticed so far. The obvious fuel mileage, but quite dramatically. I went from 415 miles on a full tank to 448, which in my opinion is totally awesome. Also, the steering wheel doesn't shake from side to side anymore, and what's most important to me, is that the car doesn't pull to the right anymore. In addition, I don't know how this came to be, but for some reason the car does accelerate quicker now.

If you want, you can e-mail me, and I have pictures of the wear pattern so you can see and compare.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Re: Re: Tire Thread Front/Rear

Originally posted by Peter_98_SE
I don't know the wear pattern on yours, but on my front tires, it was the outer most tread that was worn.
Check for underinflation and alignment. Wear should be even across the entire tread of the tire.

Originally posted by Peter_98_SE Always make sure to cross the wheels when you rotate. Example: front right goes on rear left and rear left to front right. Left front goes to rear right and rear right to left front. This way you will promote proper wear.
Incorrect. Page 8-33 of the 1999 Owner's Manual has a diagram of the proper rotation technique. Swap the RF wheel with the RR wheel and swap the LF wheel with the LR wheel. On non-directional tires you'll probably be able to get away with doing it your way, but for directional tires you'll slide right off the road as the tread will be facing the wrong way.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tire Thread Front/Rear

Yeah,

I believe that I have non-directional tires, but how can I be certain? I looked on the outside tire wall, and didn't find the arrow showing which way the tires should rotate.

Are directional the type where the tire thread is shaped in an arrow pattern? Or is that not always the case? If so, then I do not have that pattern.

But anyhow, the car handles 100% better, and it has been snowing and raining here this week.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tire Thread Front/Rear

Are directional the type where the tire thread is shaped in an arrow pattern? Or is that not always the case? If so, then I do not have that pattern.
The grooves in the tires should slant downwards so that the innermost part of the groove (part towards the center of the tire) hits the pavement first. See this pic of my tires for an example... http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....a+RE730+Gen.+2
Old 04-10-2003, 06:35 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

TREAD.

TREAD.

TREAD!!!

Old 04-10-2003, 10:27 PM

Re: Re: Tire Thread Front/Rear

Hey,

Always make sure to cross the wheels when you rotate. Example: front right goes on rear left and rear left to front right. Left front goes to rear right and rear right to left front. This way you will promote proper wear.
What you are referring to is one of two methods of tire rotation for non-directional tires on front wheel drive vehicles.

The forward-cross is another method (you are describing the x-cross method) where you cross the front tires to the back, but bring the backs straight forward to the front.

Another issue with tire rotation that I learned from "The Tire Rack" is the following:

When you get new tires they should have approximately 10/32" of tread on each tire.

The tread will wear faster in the first few thousand miles due to greater heat on the tire and also because of more tread movement so it is better to rotate your tires as follows;

Rotate after 3000 miles when you buy new tires.
Rotate after 4500 miles on the second rotation of the tires.
Rotate after 6000 miles on the third rotation of the tires.
Rotate every 7500 miles thereafter.

Buy an inexpensive tire gauge and check the tread depth of your tires often to keep an eye out for over inflation or under inflation, alignment problems, or other causes of uneven wear.

Whenever I rotate tires I always take out an index card and draw a box for each tire and then take the tread gauge and take readings across each tire in 32nds of an each.

Example:

Left Front Right Front
6 7 7 6 | 6.5 7 7 6

Left Rear Right Rear
5.5 7 7 6 | 6 7 7 5.5

I record this in my maintenance log, and then I can compare it to my
tread depths the next time I rotate my tires.

I have 203,000 miles on my 1996 Maxima SE, and here is the
mileage I have gotten out of my tires so far.

OEM Stock Toyo tires 55,000 miles
Michelin MVX Energy 47,000 miles
Michelin MVX Energy Plus 57,000 miles
Michelin MVX Energy Plus 44,000 miles and counting

(By the way those stock Toyo tires were really nice, but had to locate here in the midwest, and rather expensive too.)

My current set has about what I wrote above on them at my last tire rotation. I bet I'll get 60,000 out of this set and I have driven this set the hardest because my sweet Maxima engine is just now broken in!!!!!!

Sorry for the long post, just kinda happy about it.

White96MaxSE
Old 04-11-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by phenryiv1
TREAD.

TREAD.

TREAD!!!

sorrie... TREAD!!!!!!