4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003 | 04:42 PM

Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

I have a 97 GLE, and for some reason I notcied that the factory Bose tweeter is located pretty far behind the tweeter grill by about 1.5" and it kind of muffles the sound a little. So, I decided to remove the door panel and go to work. All I did was remove the bolts holding the tweeter in place and placed a few washers to mount it closer to the tweeter grill. Took about 30 minutes to do both sides and now it made a big difference in clarity. It sounds really good, but too bad its not the style that can be angled towards you, but I'm no audio expert so this is good enough for me. Pretty cheap mod for someone who would want to get more potential out of the 97 (-99 I assume) factory Bose tweeters.

-Ben
Old 04-09-2003 | 05:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

where are the ones on the 96's ?? Was it the door or the a-pillar. i forget haha, too lazy to go out and see.
Old 04-09-2003 | 06:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I have a 97 GLE, and for some reason I notcied that the factory Bose tweeter is located pretty far behind the tweeter grill by about 1.5" and it kind of muffles the sound a little. So, I decided to remove the door panel and go to work. All I did was remove the bolts holding the tweeter in place and placed a few washers to mount it closer to the tweeter grill. Took about 30 minutes to do both sides and now it made a big difference in clarity. It sounds really good, but too bad its not the style that can be angled towards you, but I'm no audio expert so this is good enough for me. Pretty cheap mod for someone who would want to get more potential out of the 97 (-99 I assume) factory Bose tweeters.

-Ben
put two or 3 more washers on the further side away to angle it out towards you when you sit down, its a way of cheating if your tweeters done move.

jason
Old 04-09-2003 | 07:02 PM

Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by thebigsadler

put two or 3 more washers on the further side away to angle it out towards you when you sit down, its a way of cheating if your tweeters done move.

jason
I'm going to buy some tweeters soon. For those of you who have the, are they in the door by the mirror or in the A piller? Where do I go to buy the holder for them?
-E
Old 04-09-2003 | 07:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by Lushka16

I'm going to buy some tweeters soon. For those of you who have the, are they in the door by the mirror or in the A piller? Where do I go to buy the holder for them?
-E

the 96's have them on the A pillars..
Old 04-09-2003 | 07:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by cydrive

the 96's have them on the A pillars..
Damn my 95!
Old 04-09-2003 | 08:07 PM

Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

-Ben
When you take the tweeters out, can you just pry the tweeter out and do surgery like that/ Or do you have to take the whole door panel off? Can you just stick a screwdriver inbetweeen the grill and tthe door panel adn pry them out? That would be awesome ans would be a weekend tweak
Old 04-09-2003 | 08:11 PM

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan

When you take the tweeters out, can you just pry the tweeter out and do surgery like that/ Or do you have to take the whole door panel off? Can you just stick a screwdriver inbetweeen the grill and tthe door panel adn pry them out? That would be awesome ans would be a weekend tweak
Woops- reread the post. I'm an ***. Got it.
Old 04-09-2003 | 09:32 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

jason
I actually did that with the washers and it helped somewhat, it is a good idea though.

-Ben
Old 04-10-2003 | 07:12 AM

Do you HAVE to take the door panels off to get to the tweeters? Or can you pry them out at the grill? I would rather not take the panel off if I can get away with it? Is it REALLY that much better? Why would they recess the tweeter in the first place- it does nto seem like a money saving measure by Nissan, so maby there is another reason? Why not just put the tweeter closer to the grill in the first place? Is this one of those tweaks thats gonna knock my socks off? And what is it that I am removing? Is it self explanitory once I get topt he tweeter? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003 | 07:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have a 95 se and i have the min the pillar so im not sure bout the 95 only having them in doors
Old 04-10-2003 | 07:34 AM
Shiver me timbers.

-E

I have a component system. The tweeters are mounted in the door, in about the same place they are in my wifes 98 GLE. Everything that was needed to install (brackets) was there. They are movable, so you can point them in amost any direction you wish.
Old 04-10-2003 | 10:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio

I have a component system. The tweeters are mounted in the door, in about the same place they are in my wifes 98 GLE. Everything that was needed to install (brackets) was there. They are movable, so you can point them in amost any direction you wish.
I'm about to buy a componant system, and I'm just trying to figure out where to put the tweeter. Does it just go behind some plastic in the door, or is it something that people with the Bose system come with preconfigured. If someone can get me a picture, that would be awesome.
-E
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:07 AM

Do you HAVE to take the door panels off to get to the tweeters? Or can you pry them out at the grill? I would rather not take the panel off if I can get away with it? Is it REALLY that much better? Why would they recess the tweeter in the first place- it does nto seem like a money saving measure by Nissan, so maby there is another reason? Why not just put the tweeter closer to the grill in the first place? Is this one of those tweaks thats gonna knock my socks off? And what is it that I am removing? Is it self explanitory once I get topt he tweeter? Thanks.
You have to remove the whoel door panel to go to them assuming your 97-99. It's very simple, you just need a few washers to mount them higher then usual. I truly don't know why Nissan didn't do this in the 1st place.

-Ben
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

You have to remove the whoel door panel to go to them assuming your 97-99. It's very simple, you just need a few washers to mount them higher then usual. I truly don't know why Nissan didn't do this in the 1st place.

-Ben
did you eliminate the entire 1.5 inch gap? I mean, how much closer are they now? Seems like a few washers couldnt eliminate the gap. What am I missing here? How many washers did you use? An inch an half to me would equal about 15 washers! How many washers per screw did you use to elimnate the gap?
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:46 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

did you eliminate the entire 1.5 inch gap? I mean, how much closer are they now? Seems like a few washers couldnt eliminate the gap. What am I missing here? How many washers did you use? An inch an half to me would equal about 15 washers!
The number os washers depends on the size of the washers. I happened to use 4 washers for each of the 4 bolts. It brought from 1.5" down to like .25".

-Ben
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:48 AM

Re: reason

i think the reason it's so far in is becuz that way no water can get to it easily.. one time i washed my car with the window slightly opened and i thought i fecked up my tweeter but it's still workin.. could be wrong though..
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:49 AM

i think why nissan mounted the tweeters so far back is to protect them from rain. everytime i get out of my car when its raining my doors get soaked. i've taken the door pannels off before and i think they are recessed far enough to offer some protection... but the sound does suck because of this.
Old 04-10-2003 | 11:58 AM
Shiver me timbers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

I'm about to buy a componant system, and I'm just trying to figure out where to put the tweeter. Does it just go behind some plastic in the door, or is it something that people with the Bose system come with preconfigured. If someone can get me a picture, that would be awesome.
-E

I don't have a digital camera. No, it's not 1987. Anyway, to give you an idea where the tweeter is on my car, it is about an inch and half diagonally away from the door handle. I hope this helps. If someone could post a picture of the door of a 98 GLE it would show you where it is. By the way, I recommend Rockford components.
Old 04-10-2003 | 12:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Had nothing else to do so I decided to finally tweak something...

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio

I don't have a digital camera. No, it's not 1987. Anyway, to give you an idea where the tweeter is on my car, it is about an inch and half diagonally away from the door handle. I hope this helps. If someone could post a picture of the door of a 98 GLE it would show you where it is. By the way, I recommend Rockford components.
I was initially planning on getting aftermarke components, but I figuredit wouldn't hurt to at least try this and I'm very satisfied with the results. No need for me to get new speakers as of righ now.

-Ben