4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are these worth it? Need Feedback- Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:45 PM

Are these worth it? Need Feedback- Headlight Bulbs

I was wondering if anyone has these headlight bulbs. Are they good, are they worth it, do they last? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710
Old 04-09-2003, 07:49 PM

or these ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=36476
Old 04-09-2003, 08:20 PM

You need an upgraded headlight harness if you want those high wattage bulbs to last.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JC96max
You need an upgraded headlight harness if you want those high wattage bulbs to last.

very true...I told my friend who recently bought a set like those, but he doesnt believe me....he'll soon find out....

Also, he has similar lights that looks whitish blue, and they just dont put light down like my Phillips BlueVisions. They arent blue by any means, they have a whiter appearance than stock and are brighter. I would stay away from lights that say "HID" "next best thing to HID" and "Xenon"

just my .02

eric
Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 PM

Bought the XD5's (newer version, same company) and found them to be too blue for me. My $ was refunded promptly, no questions asked.

Beware if you're using those pics. on the website to gauge your expectations. I think the same pics were used to advertise the XD5's and to be honest, there was either some Photo-shopping going on, or the photo image just didn't accurately represent the color of the lights on the road.

They were definitely BLUE on the road, which translates to poor visibility in the wet.

-my .02 cents.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:47 PM

What headlight bulbs do you recommend, nothing to expensive? Also where can i upgrade headlight harnesses?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by WOODYMAX98
What headlight bulbs do you recommend, nothing to expensive? Also where can i upgrade headlight harnesses?
Well, I've all but given up on ANY bulb with a blue tint.

I think I'm going to try the Sylvania Extravisions next. I read several good reviews on them - many .org-ers have them & seem happy with the light output over stock.

I believe they're available in stock wattage at Kmarts and many other retailers for less than $25 a set.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:22 PM

i got a set of xenon headlight bulbs and havent had a prob with them, other than the fact that you can hardly see when its raining
Old 04-10-2003, 05:36 AM

PIAA Xtreme 9004
Old 04-10-2003, 05:40 AM

Silver Stars

I bought a set of Silver Stars last week and as time passes on the more I like them. At first I didn't see a great improvement but as I drive on different roadways at night, I see a big difference. However it still hasn't rained here in Austin so I don't know what they look like in the rain...They are pretty pricey though...$50..

Go Marines!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:18 AM

I had the Silverstars and they were great until it rained. To much glare on wet pavement. Right now trying the Wagner Britelites and Sylvania Xtravisions. Just my two cents. Also, how are the PIAA Xtremes in the rain? Any glare? Thanks.

Pedro
Old 04-10-2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by pruizgarcia
I had the Silverstars and they were great until it rained. To much glare on wet pavement in my opinion. Right now trying the Wagner Britelites and Sylvania Xtravisions.

How are the PIAA Xtremes in the rain? Any glare? My upgraded wiring harness is also on order. Thanks.

Pedro
Old 04-10-2003, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pruizgarcia
The pics in the auction make it look like they will look close to HID, when they really won't. 5000k is very white, and its hard for a halogen to get that high. Just go with the real thing, HID's are sooooooo worth the money.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:00 AM

Want a slightly whiter look, then go with Philips BlueVision. You can get them at Kmart for about $9 per bulb. I've done some comparisons and for the price these are one of the better 9004 bulbs, which actually help.

If you want blue/ HID, most bulbs will make your vision worse because they use too much of a blue coating to filter the yellow.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 AM

Stay away from PIAA. They work fine but are expensive and IMHO you need to buy all PIAA bulbs for clearance, parking, and turn signal lights to get them to match. That's a lot of dough.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:53 AM

You should just buy HID's. I had over 5 sets of bulbs in my car and all I can say is WOW HIDs OWN!. I had Silver stars for a day, and I think that they are too overpiced for what they do. I rather use stocks then Silver Stars. I Also had the first ones u posted, and they melted my sockets, If you buy those make sure you upgrade your hardness. But trust me you won't regret the HID's. Best $379 I've spend on my car.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:11 AM

where can you buy upgraded harnesses? And how did they look besides the fact that they ruined your harnesses.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by WOODYMAX98
where can you buy upgraded harnesses? And how did they look besides the fact that they ruined your harnesses.
You can buy the Hardness at PepBoys, Autozone, Checkers, etc.... They just have a cool blue/hyper white from far away but if you want them for more visibility then don't buy any bulb that has blue tint. They are brighter that you stock bulbs but they u can't tell that they are on when is raining. They are ok for the price I would say better than PIAA. If you are looking for more visibility then try the other bulbs. If you just want that cool blue look then buy them. There are also some bulbs that have a purple tint that I think are better. They look crystal white and they do good with visibilty. I say purple tinted bulbs are better that blue ones.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:38 PM
† ErV †

no save your money. the 'comparisson' images are photoshopped. get 1.80$ halogens or leap for real HIDs. everything in between will eventually not keep you happy.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by EvilRoadsVictim
no save your money. the 'comparisson' images are photoshopped. get 1.80$ halogens or leap for real HIDs. everything in between will eventually not keep you happy.
I love my HIDs I can't go back to halogen
Old 04-10-2003, 07:26 PM

What about these MTECs? The output is supposed to be 170Watt.

Old 04-10-2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by athlon omega

other than melting your harness instantly, you will absolutely blind drivers if its really 170watts...No point in 170watt lights, a much much lower wattage bulb can be "brighter" than a higher wattage bulb, dont always go with watts, i believe the amount of lumens in a bulb is what produces its brightness...look at that...

eric
Old 04-10-2003, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

other than melting your harness instantly, you will absolutely blind drivers if its really 170watts...No point in 170watt lights, a much much lower wattage bulb can be "brighter" than a higher wattage bulb, dont always go with watts, i believe the amount of lumens in a bulb is what produces its brightness...look at that...

eric
I was thinking the same thing. However, maybe they would look close to HID since they have a slight lueish tint but shine a great deal brighter. I curently have upgraded Nokya wire harness upgrades. My freind has 4300K MTECs on his 2002 Altima at 60Watts or something close to stock and they look like real HIDs.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by athlon omega

A while back, an org-er had these & posted he was very happy with them, but it was a different model MTEC bulb.

Despite this seller's claims of the bulbs being safe for the OE wiring harnesses, I'd want a better explanation of their whole wattage rating and "technical" explanation. (-Not very technical at all, if you ask me - just a lot of mumbo-jumbo sales doublespeak).

Btw, I read the whole auction & their wattage rating with their explanation that the bulbs draw the "same as stock" wattage: seems to be a contradiction to me, unless they can explain otherwise.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:35 PM

very true...I told my friend who recently bought a set like those, but he doesnt believe me....he'll soon find out....

eric

i soooooooo learned my lesson!!!

get the harness!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2003, 09:51 PM

from reading this thread.. it seems to me that Lighting is a priority for maxima go-ers. I currently use the SilverStars. IMO.. A lil overpriced. The light has blue tint at the tip which gives off a very slightly blue glare (mosty likely for cosmetic resons) which atrract attention of the consumer which makes you spend 40 bucks for a pair (like i did). Def whiter and brighter, and dark roads the high beam seems bright blueish but def improvement over stock. Youll get the same results with the cheaper Xtravisons. Same concpet (whiter brighter light) but no cosmetic bull**** as an excuse to charge 20 bucks a bulb. If your low on cash and dont want new harness, just get xtravisions.
Old 04-11-2003, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by 95GreekMaxSE
from reading this thread.. it seems to me that Lighting is a priority for maxima go-ers. I currently use the SilverStars. IMO.. A lil overpriced. The light has blue tint at the tip which gives off a very slightly blue glare (mosty likely for cosmetic resons) which atrract attention of the consumer which makes you spend 40 bucks for a pair (like i did). Def whiter and brighter, and dark roads the high beam seems bright blueish but def improvement over stock. Youll get the same results with the cheaper Xtravisons. Same concpet (whiter brighter light) but no cosmetic bull**** as an excuse to charge 20 bucks a bulb. If your low on cash and dont want new harness, just get xtravisions.
Did you upgrade your harness for the Silver Stars? Is it nessecary or just being causious?
Old 04-11-2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by supercobraz
Did you upgrade your harness for the Silver Stars? Is it nessecary or just being causious?
You don't need an upgraded harness for these bulbs. The only bulbs you should get an upgraded harness for are bulbs with a rating over the factory spec of 45/55 (I think)

Piaa and a few other companies will describe their bulbs as 80/100 light output, but if you look close you'll notice that the Wattage draw is only 45/55, so these don't need a harness.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

You don't need an upgraded harness for these bulbs. The only bulbs you should get an upgraded harness for are bulbs with a rating over the factory spec of 45/55 (I think)

Piaa and a few other companies will describe their bulbs as 80/100 light output, but if you look close you'll notice that the Wattage draw is only 45/55, so these don't need a harness.
Vedy Vedy goood....Thank you my friend...
Old 04-11-2003, 08:13 AM

Did I see correctly??? $65 for the PIAA H3 fog bulbs...That's alot...I'm trying to find fogs to match my Silver Stars but I don't want to pay as crazy of an amount as I did for the Stars themself...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by supercobraz
Did I see correctly??? $65 for the PIAA H3 fog bulbs...That's alot...I'm trying to find fogs to match my Silver Stars but I don't want to pay as crazy of an amount as I did for the Stars themself...
you probably did, PIAAs are overpriced...period...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.....

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 09:39 AM

you probably did, PIAAs are overpriced...period...no ifs, ands, or buts about it.....
eric
Yes they are, but they are great looking bulb. Its like buying Tommy jeans over Levis. Tommys are overpriced but they have the look your looking for.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by KiLIAkLoWn

Yes they are, but they are great looking bulb. Its like buying Tommy jeans over Levis. Tommys are overpriced but they have the look your looking for.
You bring up an interesting point....But I do like my Levis....But $65 for some fogs...That's more then I paid for the over priced Silver Stars
Old 04-14-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by KiLIAkLoWn

yes, but put a pair of Tommys next to another pair of jeans, take off the name brand tags, and their nearly identical. All your paying for is some old guys name on it...Just like PIAAs. Someone actually did a comparo awhile back comparing PIAAs, silverstars, OEM, and something else, and the PIAAs didnt look special. The only reason i upgraded mine was because i wanted something a tick brighter, and the Phillips do the trick, their a couple notches whiter than stock (esp next to my "rewired" corner lights now) and in high beam form they have a nice blue-ish, but still very white, glow to them. I almost got SilverStars but couldnt part with $40 -vs- the $24 i paid for my Phillips...

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 10:43 AM

I have the Piaa Superwhite headlights, and I think they're overpriced. I've done side-by-side comparisons with the Philips Bluevisions, looking head on, and driving. I can say that these two bulbs are almost exactly the same. I can say that they Piaa's have lasted me close to three years now, so I've got my money's worth.

I can't say anything about the xtreme 9004 headlights since I've never had them, but I do have the H3 xtreme fogs. The h3 fogs are better than stock and are worth it(if you get a good deal). I bought mine off ebay and it was much cheaper than most stores.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Cheesing away...

How much does a new wiring harness cost? Is there a write up out there to installing it on a 96?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:46 AM

So other then PIAA, is there a good H3 bulb that is not overpriced yet whiter then stock?
Old 04-14-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by vsidesupratt1
How much does a new wiring harness cost? Is there a write up out there to installing it on a 96?
something like 15 bucks or something, you can buy them at southwest autoworks HERE

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 11:38 AM

There are two types of wire harnesses that I know of.

The more expensive type uses a relay and completely new wire that directly connects to the battery. This type is easily removeable and the wires are independent of the car's factory wiring.
Example here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34207

The second type upgrades the stock wire connector, but I think this requires some type of splicing into the factory harness. I've never used this type so I'm not really sure how it installs.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:54 PM

I have a set of piaa super white platinums for my fogs... I gave like 35 dollars for them. Check ebay-they have everything....almost

Quick Reply: Are these worth it? Need Feedback- Headlight Bulbs