4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Major Question, Sos

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 11:22 PM
TSW

Major Question, Sos

Hello everyone!

I just got back home on my 1999 Maxima ES 42.000 ml on it with custom CAI intake and 91 octane after destroying RSX type –S (not badly but still I KILLED IT).
I just hope my car will be fine after the things I did to it. Help me with more info on it PLEASE.

I drive manual very well, I mean very. I just never had so much desire to kill one of the HONDA products before. So In my 1st gear I kicked my clutch at 5,000 RPM, then I did the same in 2nd, and I did the same in 3rd gear. Then both of us stopped to share how much mods we have. And I did the same from 0 all the way to whatever it was with hitting my clutch to get that FAST boost of power and I was first again.
I pretty sure I could have just as much fan racing the guy WITHOUT hitting my stock clutch.

SO far NO SOGNS of slipping clutch or very nasty CLUTCH smell, or Transmission nose with harsh shifting but………………
OK THE QUESTION IS: I did hit my clutch for the first time today on my car I would say 6-8 times.

How bad is it for my car and DO YOU THINK I MIGHT have a problem after what happened today??????
How good is the stock clutch on MAXIMA 1999 ES??????
Do you think I just started a problem that will come up in a few days?

I know I won and all that crap but…………. I really felt bad for my Engine RED LINE and CLUTCH.

Share with me guys I have a paranoia NOW, I need some one who actually has been practicing hitting Maxima clutch on almost regular basis. I just need to relax that the car is still just fine.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM

Re: Major Question, Sos

i had a 93 se .. before this one.. and i beat the **** out of it..
spun the input bearings and ruined the clutch..
dont make a habbit of it..
or just start the race on a rolling start.. Saves the car mucho
Old 04-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dont make a habbit of racing your Max at every stoplight as hard as she will go...Other than that, a few romping here and there shouldnt hurt it..

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM
rmb

Re: Major Question, Sos

Originally posted by TSW
Hello everyone!

I drive manual very well,

OK THE QUESTION IS: I did hit my clutch for the first time today on my car I would say 6-8 times.

How bad is it for my car and DO YOU THINK I MIGHT have a problem after what happened today??????
How good is the stock clutch on MAXIMA 1999 ES??????

I know I won and all that crap but…………. I really felt bad for my Engine RED LINE and CLUTCH.

Share with me guys I have a paranoia NOW, I need some one who actually has been practicing hitting Maxima clutch on almost regular basis. I just need to relax that the car is still just fine.
You dropped the clutch at 5,000 into 1st? Like on purpose? "I drive a manual very well" And your asking if that's bad for it? LOL.

If you beat the crap out of it like that, you're going to break stuff... eventually lots of stuff.

Revving a motor to redline smoothly with no powershifting or the like isn't a bad thing when done a properly warmed up engine and your gear shifting is butter-smooth. But any sort of "impact" shock-loading the driveline like you did is going to kill it if you make it a common practice.

Depends what matters to you though... just don't cry when your clutch is fried/broken, your tranny is screaming it's syncros and bearings away, the CV's are popping, and that last session of 300 feet of mad wheel hop finally does her in.....

-RMB
Old 04-14-2003, 08:44 PM
TSW

Re: Re: Major Question, Sos

Hi there, it is my first time hearing "droping clutch",
But, what i did is kick not drop, rev up to 5,000 and hit the clutch i bet if there is a a guy with type-R beside you and he doesn't know what you are doing, YOUR CAR WILL jump FULL LEANTH AWAY FROM HIM.
NO man NO DROPING things ,kicking it.

First i don't know any car that you car drop into first at 5,000, it simply will not let you.

Just to make it clear I kicked my clutch at 5,000 than went to second and at 5,000 kicked it again. And i bet you $100 if i race with some one who has turbo or smurbo, i will destroy his car just because I KNOW THE RIGHT TIMING WHEN TO HIT THE CLUTCH. i did it before on other cars, but on mine last night was the first one, and i felt bad bro.
I MEAN i felt like i was killing my babe!

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Major Question, Sos

Originally posted by TSW
But, what i did is kick not drop, rev up to 5,000 and hit the clutch i bet if there is a a guy with type-R beside you and he doesn't know what you are doing, YOUR CAR WILL jump FULL LEANTH AWAY FROM HIM.

First i don't know any car that you car drop into first at 5,000, it simply will not let you.

Just to make it clear I kicked my clutch at 5,000 than went to second and at 5,000 kicked it again. And i bet you $100 if i race with some one who has turbo or smurbo, i will destroy his car just because I KNOW THE RIGHT TIMING WHEN TO HIT THE CLUTCH. i did it before on other cars, but on mine last night was the first one, and i felt bad bro.

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Ummmm.....I know someone who will take you up on that bet...If you want to drive to Louisiana.....

Old 04-15-2003, 06:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Major Question, Sos

Originally posted by TSW

And kicking means what?!? Slipping maybe?!? Theres nothing else you can do with the clutch...

you wanna make a bet?! I bet i can drop my car from 5K...You may be thinking of some cars that have a rev limiter while not in gear(i.e. cavaliers,saturns, sunfires to name a few... at 3K i believe)

ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!
you smoking the gonja?? I can shift relatively well too bud, but im not pyschotic and think i can take a 13-14 sec turbo car with my 15sec max , thats insane man, listen to what your saying, maybe you can take a stock turbo jetta/golf, lol, thats about it

eric
Old 04-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

at this point ppl in the thread are thinking the same thing i am. there is nothing more annoying then a pompous know it all who knows nothing. "kicking" the clutch (lol) is still dropping the clutch. what your not doing is NOT matching the rpm's (input and output) so your clutch gets worn. Second your putting a lot of stress on your throw out bearing, gearing, half shafts, etc. i had a habit of doing this when i first got my max @ 16y/o. however ive replaced the clutch, resurfaced the fly, and replace the ring gear. so now you can decide if you want to keep "kicking" the clutch. 1 your not a good driver your ignorant. 2 your statement of beating a turbo proves this. 3 don't flap your mouth there might be someone out there that would be so greedy as to steal 100 bucks from you (it wouldnt be hard). my advice to you is drive slower, match your rpms, and throw away the crappy adolescent attitude.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Major Question, Sos

Originally posted by rmb

You dropped the clutch at 5,000 into 1st? Like on purpose? "I drive a manual very well" And your asking if that's bad for it? LOL.

If you beat the crap out of it like that, you're going to break stuff... eventually lots of stuff.

Revving a motor to redline smoothly with no powershifting or the like isn't a bad thing when done a properly warmed up engine and your gear shifting is butter-smooth. But any sort of "impact" shock-loading the driveline like you did is going to kill it if you make it a common practice.

-RMB
Old 04-15-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by maximasrule
at this point ppl in the thread are thinking the same thing i am. there is nothing more annoying then a pompous know it all who knows nothing. "kicking" the clutch (lol) is still dropping the clutch. what your not doing is NOT matching the rpm's (input and output) so your clutch gets worn. Second your putting a lot of stress on your throw out bearing, gearing, half shafts, etc. i had a habit of doing this when i first got my max @ 16y/o. however ive replaced the clutch, resurfaced the fly, and replace the ring gear. so now you can decide if you want to keep "kicking" the clutch. 1 your not a good driver your ignorant. 2 your statement of beating a turbo proves this. 3 don't flap your mouth there might be someone out there that would be so greedy as to steal 100 bucks from you (it wouldnt be hard). my advice to you is drive slower, match your rpms, and throw away the crappy adolescent attitude.

very well said...Ignorant young people make all of us young people look bad...

eric
Old 04-15-2003, 06:20 PM
rmb

I still want him to explain "Kicking it"... LOL

-RMB
Old 04-15-2003, 06:24 PM
I'm so hood

You guys up in Quebec (? - guessing from profile) use some strange language. Kick? Hit? Are you sure this isn't martial arts and not racing?

I think some language barriers here are preventing the real question from being asked, and the real answer(s) from being given.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
You guys up in Quebec (? - guessing from profile) use some strange language. Kick? Hit? Are you sure this isn't martial arts and not racing?

I think some language barriers here are preventing the real question from being asked, and the real answer(s) from being given.

also, i was wondering why he was calling his Max an ES, but i forgot those are apparently available in canada ...

eric
Old 04-15-2003, 09:37 PM

Well i would say the stock clutch is not that good on the maxima es or se for that matter. Car and driver replaced theirs at 40k. It sounds to me like you need a racin clutch