4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bosch Vs. NGK

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 01:09 PM

Bosch Vs. NGK

What is the difference? To me a spark plug is a spark plug assuming were talking plat vs. plat or copper vs. copper. I really don't think that there can be such a huge difference between spark plugs. So what are the true differences between Bosch platinums and NGK's besides $30? I just can't see spending an extra $30 dollars on a spark plug that is inherently the same. What is the difference?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Go put the Bosch plugs in your car and talk to us in about 10K miles, you'll see.

Better yet, just go down to your local hardware store and put a set of Champion plugs in, you know, the ones that come in your Sears lawn mower.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:34 PM

hahahha Champion plugs!!

Just try some Bosh and you will have your answer... i got some in my car when i bought it and i got hesitation too...now i got some BKR5E-11 NGK V-Power copper and the car has no more hesitation and run so great! Plus copper ones are cheaper to buy than platinum ones and makes the job perfectly. Just change them once a year.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:40 PM

I have Bosch plugs in now with no problems with about 15,000 miles. I am just wondering if people are buying the NGK's because they are OEM and made in Japan. I answered your posts now answer my question what is the difference. Not, try the Bosch and you will see because I have and have noticed no performance problems. I just don't understand why there could be such a price difference with the NGK's. So, what are the problems that have been reported when using Bosch or any other plugs besides the NGK's?
Old 04-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Bosch Vs. NGK

Originally posted by MaximaMoJo
What is the difference? To me a spark plug is a spark plug assuming were talking plat vs. plat or copper vs. copper. I really don't think that there can be such a huge difference between spark plugs. So what are the true differences between Bosch platinums and NGK's besides $30? I just can't see spending an extra $30 dollars on a spark plug that is inherently the same. What is the difference?
oh yeah a sparkplug is just a sparkplug. A car is just a car, so why do you pick the Maxima? NGK are meant to be used in our cars, becuase they will make the car performe at its best. There is been several threats about people putting the Bosh Platinum +4 in their cars, and they werent to happy. So if you want to spend double buy the Bosh. After you realize why Maximas use NGK you will want to buy NGK. Bosh are great just not for our cars.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have autolite platinums in my car now and i dont have any problems...Some people are just hung up on "OEM" parts, they insist NOTHING else will work good.

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 01:51 PM

I was running Bosch platinum +2. Didn't think anything of it.
Just put in the ngk coppers. HUGE difference.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
I have autolite platinums in my car now and i dont have any problems...Some people are just hung up on "OEM" parts, they insist NOTHING else will work good.

eric

I have autolite platinums too,and have had no hesitation,to tell you the truth i've noticed no difference between the ngk's and these autolites.the only difference is the money i saved.
Old 04-14-2003, 01:56 PM

I tuned up my buddies I30 about a year ago. He was cheap and went with Bosch plugs. Less then 10K miles later he had hard starts, then the gas mileage went downhill. I kept telling him it was the plugs. He didn't believe me until I pulled one. There was no electrode left on the plug, I couldn't believe the car was even running. Tossed a set of NGK's back in and the car came back to life. It was a night and day difference.

So I personally saw a 1998 I30 completely eat up a set of Bosch plugs in 10,000 miles.

Again, use what ever plug you like.
Bottom line is you get what you pay for.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:11 PM

I had bosch plat+4s for about 15k miles and switched to NGK coppers. I have not noticed any difference. I think the OEM plat plugs come pre gapped so they are plug and play and some people are not gapping the other brands correctly.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:17 PM

I might try the NGK plugs and see if I notice a difference. What is the NGK part number for 4th gen NGK's and does the 3rd gen use the same part number plugs?
Old 04-14-2003, 02:24 PM

I've had all three types of Bosch Platinum plugs and guess what I came back to when I started getting misfires and hard starts....that's right...NGK Laser Platinums. This topic is the first things I asked when sighing up...it was the reason I was surfing the net and found this sight. None of us are Nissan engineers that can tell you exactly why Nissans run better on NGK...but with a few exceptions, they do...but it's your car...put whatever you want in it....Autolites...lol... that was funny...
Old 04-14-2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by 96_Infiniti_I30

I have autolite platinums too,and have had no hesitation,to tell you the truth i've noticed no difference between the ngk's and these autolites.the only difference is the money i saved.

exactly...

Also, for whoever said something about people are not gapping plugs...i hope your not talking about gapping platinums, because i believe your not supposed to gap plats....

eric
Old 04-14-2003, 02:33 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

bkr5e-11's

Originally posted by WhiteMax96
hahahha Champion plugs!!

Just try some Bosh and you will have your answer... i got some in my car when i bought it and i got hesitation too...now i got some BKR5E-11 NGK V-Power copper and the car has no more hesitation and run so great! Plus copper ones are cheaper to buy than platinum ones and makes the job perfectly. Just change them once a year.
hey man where did u get these plugs from? i can't find jack shil on-line... lemme kno thanx
Old 04-14-2003, 02:45 PM

Whats the part number for the platinums and is it the same part number for the 3rd gens?
Old 04-14-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

exactly...

Also, for whoever said something about people are not gapping plugs...i hope your not talking about gapping platinums, because i believe your not supposed to gap plats....

eric
Not gap plats? That's what I was talking about. I said I believe the NGK plats come pre gapped and if you don't have the correct gap you'll get all these problems everyone discribes.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:53 PM

I have Bosch plugs in now with no problems with about 15,000 miles. I am just wondering if people are buying the NGK's because they are OEM and made in Japan. I answered your posts now answer my question what is the difference. Not, try the Bosch and you will see because I have and have noticed no performance problems. I just don't understand why there could be such a price difference with the NGK's. So, what are the problems that have been reported when using Bosch or any other plugs besides the NGK's?
I ran Bosch Plat +4's for about 5000 miles, and it just didn't run right (hesitation, erratic idle). I talked with the parts guy at a dealership about the difference in NGK's and others. He gave me a technical reason why NGK's are the only recommended brand. Something to do with the resistance and such of the plugs, and the Maxima's ignition system is designed for the certain specs. Call your dealership and ask a tech to explain it better. The one who explained it to me had been to a Nissan ignition system school a long time ago. I put NGK's back in and my car came back to life (and yes, the Bosch were properly gapped). I'm going with copper NGK's next just because of price, and I don't mind changing plugs every 30,000. I guess it would be about the same as putting a Pioneer speaker on one of our Bose systems. You might get noise, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Dave
Old 04-14-2003, 09:46 PM

i had the bosh plats +4 in my car for a yr and changed them to ngk plat, altough i did not notice any difference at all , when i did take out the bosch plugs they seemed burned , the plat part of the plug was blackened with smoke, dont know if that normal for a car but it looked bad for only being in the car for a yr
Old 04-14-2003, 10:06 PM
I like Maximas

Whats the part number for the platinums and is it the same part number for the 3rd gens?
The platinum's part number is: 22401-1P115

i just changed the plat's after 62K and they showed some signs of wear, and sure enough when i took a ride on new plat's i definitely felt bette responce and smoother acceleration. Go with NGK, they were put in the Maxima for a reason (i.e. we use ignition coils not spark plug wires wired to a distributor)

-Vadim
Old 04-14-2003, 10:11 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by vipervadim

The platinum's part number is: 22401-1P115

i just changed the plat's after 62K and they showed some signs of wear, and sure enough when i took a ride on new plat's i definitely felt bette responce and smoother acceleration. Go with NGK, they were put in the Maxima for a reason (i.e. we use ignition coils not spark plug wires wired to a distributor)

-Vadim
how much do these suckers cost and where did u get'em from?
Old 04-14-2003, 10:27 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Most plugs come "pre-gapped" but that gap can easily change depending on how they were handled from ngk's factory to your door. ALWAYS CHECK THE GAP BEFORE YOU INSTALL. Whoever told you that plat's aren't supposed to be gapped is an idiot. Check the gap and make sure it's gapped right.
Old 04-14-2003, 11:26 PM

Can someone tell me the difference between the NGK platinums and the copper ones? does the platinum ones last longer? better performance? and cost difference? thanx
Old 04-14-2003, 11:28 PM

WITHOUT A DOUBT ITS BOSCH! GERMAN ENGINEERING! COME ON!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:59 AM

PFR5G-11
Old 04-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Administrator

http://www.sprintmax.com/tails/sparkplug.htm

Dealer PN is on that page
Old 04-15-2003, 06:05 AM

I am on my second set of Bosch+4 platinums. Why is everyone so bent on using NGK?? I have yet to have a problem. These things work great. Is the Maxima that much of a piece of junk that it will only run right on NGK plugs?? I think not.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:47 AM

Look, the people that say NGK obviously have had better results by running NGK. I bought my car with NGK switched to Bosch Platinum, the +4's followed by +2's. I can only speak for myself and MAX ine and we like NGK over Bosch. I have a friend with a Honday Civic, he sounded like the people with the Bosch is better attitude and one he read enough and listened enough to switch to NGK, he has nothing but good things to say. His car runs so much smoother. Why, who knows other then the engineers but most Japanese cars run better on NGK and Denso. I didn't spend $10 apiece for NGK Platinums because everyone said I should, I switched and kept them because they are better for my car...
Old 04-15-2003, 07:09 AM

Just for a little clarification:
NGK Platinum Plug - PFR56-11 (Same Plug for the 3rd gens?)
NGK Copper Plug - BKR5E-11

I am just not sure that the platinum plug is the same for the 3rd and 4th gen?

So, the copper plugs provide a stronger spark then platinums but, they don't last as long? Is this true?

P.S. Thanks For All Your Help! I am going to try the NGK plugs and do a comparison in another 15,000 miles to the Bosch. By the way I don't have the Bosch +2 or +4's I just have the regular platinum plugs because the +2 and +4's are
Old 04-15-2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by digdug555
Can someone tell me the difference between the NGK platinums and the copper ones? does the platinum ones last longer? better performance? and cost difference? thanx
The main difference is that the platinums last alot longer the the copper. There are those that say the coppers give a better spark. I saw it like that because I have only used the platinums. The platinums also cost much much more then the coppers. Depending where you get them plats can be as little as $8 more or as high as $12 or $14 if compared to the dealers price for Platinums
Old 04-15-2003, 09:22 AM

BKR5E-11

Does anyone know the price on the copper plugs and where I can get a set from?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:39 AM

HEY what about MSD?

Is that available for our car?

What is better MSD or NGK???
Old 04-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Re: BKR5E-11

Does anyone know the price on the copper plugs and where I can get a set from?
OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT THE LINK I POSTED IN THIS THREAD
Old 04-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Well, I just bought some NGK Iridium plugs off of ebay for the same price as the platinums $57. So, I will try these and report back with a comparison to the Bosch's. Thanks guys for all your help!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:50 AM

Re: Re: BKR5E-11

Originally posted by SprintMax

OPEN YOUR EYES AND LOOK AT THE LINK I POSTED IN THIS THREAD
Big words comming from a small person sitting behind a screen!!

You can be a little curteous with your reply instead of getting your panties bunched up.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: BKR5E-11

You can be a little curteous with your reply instead of getting your panties bunched up.
Sprinty wears panties? Thats
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: BKR5E-11

Big words comming from a small person sitting behind a screen!!
if you only knew
Old 04-15-2003, 01:08 PM

Yeah c'mon you're going to make him cry!.
heh.
Old 04-15-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by 95maxmadman
Yeah c'mon you're going to make him cry!.
heh.

Make me cry? You wanna get involved in this too?!!
Old 04-15-2003, 02:02 PM

Nawww...I just wanna sit behind my little screen and pick on
people who get testy about forum ettiquette.
I mean c'mon he posted your answer already.
Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by 95maxmadman
Nawww...I just wanna sit behind my little screen and pick on
people who get testy about forum ettiquette.
I mean c'mon he posted your answer already.
Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help.
I didnt see his first post. but yea, your right...chump.

Quick Reply: Bosch Vs. NGK