4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto tranny drop resistor mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 06:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Auto tranny drop resistor mod questions

Whats the thinnest wire I can safely use? Whats the lowest amp rating switch? I took a look at the wires and they look pretty thin. Maybe 16 or 18 gauge. I know someone recommended a 20a switch. But those are so big. I want to be able to use a small 3A toggle. Is this safe?

How about hooking up some type of micro switch like in the nitrous kits to the resistor? Have normal shifting while regular driving. When you go WOT, have the resistor current disconnected and go full line pressure?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:30 PM

16g should be about right. i used speaker wire and didn't have any problems. as for a switch, go with a 10a automotive switch.

your idea about having a window switch isn't a bad idea, but a regular switch would be just as effect and easier to wire.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:37 PM

I beg to differ on the ease of wiring. If you hook up a micro switch to the throttle, no wires have to come in to the cabin. I just haven't found any microswitches that have that high of an amp rating. Thanks for the info on the wire and the switch. I guess I'll look for 10 amps. But the WOT switch would be sweet.. =P

I don't know much about relays. I just read up on it quickly on the web. I'm still a bit confused on if one could be used in this application. Any input would be much appreciated.

ZuM

Originally posted by Romeo
16g should be about right. i used speaker wire and didn't have any problems. as for a switch, go with a 10a automotive switch.

your idea about having a window switch isn't a bad idea, but a regular switch would be just as effect and easier to wire.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:15 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Bypassing the dropping resistor is a sure way to blow up your Automagic. The tranny will shift at full line pressure and go BOOM! It's not designed to shift that way.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:36 AM

But I think quite a few people on this board have this mod hooked up to a switch. With my idea the resistor will only be bypassed at WOT.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Bypassing the dropping resistor is a sure way to blow up your Automagic. The tranny will shift at full line pressure and go BOOM! It's not designed to shift that way.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
But I think quite a few people on this board have this mod hooked up to a switch. With my idea the resistor will only be bypassed at WOT.
WOT = Full engine power + Full line pressure shift on your tranny.

Do the math yourself, it's a sure way to blow up your transmission.

Double "A" MCO have their # handy.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:57 AM

I do have a modded VB in there now. I'm not sure if it goes full line pressure though. Maybe you're right.

WOT = Full engine power + Full line pressure shift on your tranny.

Do the math yourself, it's a sure way to blow up your transmission.

Double "A" MCO have their # handy.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:07 AM

I do have a modded VB in there now. I'm not sure if it goes full line pressure though. Maybe you're right.
You already have the VB mod? You should have nice clean crisp shifts then. The dropping resistor is there to limit line pressure only during the shift. Once the tranny has shifted, it goes full line pressure to hold the clutches together so they don't slip. Again, that happens after the shift is complete.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 AM

The problem is the 1-2 shift isn't as fast as I would like. Maybe I got a bad VB from Don. Who knows. Under normal driving it shifts fast. But not at WOT.

You already have the VB mod? You should have nice clean crisp shifts then. The dropping resistor is there to limit line pressure only during the shift. Once the tranny has shifted, it goes full line pressure to hold the clutches together so they don't slip. Again, that happens after the shift is complete.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:14 AM

I'm with nj....why in the world would you want both????? If the VB mod is not enough, maybe you should consider a 5spd swap...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ask MZMTG he originally started this mod. You might want to ask him. I even rode in the car with it. Man what a difference. It felt like the vb mod was in it.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by max88q
Ask MZMTG he originally started this mod. You might want to ask him. I even rode in the car with it. Man what a difference. It felt like the vb mod was in it.
Yeah, but I don't think Ben has both. Jime has the resistor mod too, but doesn't have the VB mod too. I know that the resistor mod makes a diff, but with the VB mod already in??? I think that's asking for trouble IMO.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:30 AM

What I was thinking is.. VB mod makes the tranny shift at say, 70% line pressure. Resistor would make it shift at 100%. I don't think VB+Resistor mod=170%. I think it would still be 100%. I'd essentially end up with a sport mode tranny when at WOT.

5-speed swap might be in the future. But not near future. Job market is too unstable. I don't want to drop such a large chunk of change in to something that isn't broken.

Originally posted by JAIMECBR900

Yeah, but I don't think Ben has both. Jime has the resistor mod too, but doesn't have the VB mod too. I know that the resistor mod makes a diff, but with the VB mod already in??? I think that's asking for trouble IMO.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:41 AM

What I was thinking is.. VB mod makes the tranny shift at say, 70% line pressure. Resistor would make it shift at 100%. I don't think VB+Resistor mod=170%. I think it would still be 100%. I'd essentially end up with a sport mode tranny when at WOT.

5-speed swap might be in the future. But not near future. Job market is too unstable. I don't want to drop such a large chunk of change in to something that isn't broken.

I believe you are correct, max line pressure is max line pressure. I like your idea about the WOT switch but I think I would still like the manual switch as well so I can turn it off, otherwise it will always go to full line pressure at WOT and I really only use it at the track.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:45 AM

The reason I started thinking about the WOT switch was because I didn't want to worry about accidently flipping the switch. Or if someone else drives the car, them accidently flipping the switch. Why wouldn't you want full line pressure if you're going WOT anyways? Were you suggesting a arming switch on top of the WOT switch? Kinda like a valet mode?

Originally posted by Jime

I believe you are correct, max line pressure is max line pressure. I like your idea about the WOT switch but I think I would still like the manual switch as well so I can turn it off, otherwise it will always go to full line pressure at WOT and I really only use it at the track.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:46 AM

I follow and agree with what you're saying, except for the 70% part. Where are you getting that figure?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 AM

70% is just a number I pulled out of thin air. I have no idea how much the VB bumps up the line pressure. I would think the stock shifting line pressure is pretty low since its so buttery.

I follow and agree with what you're saying, except for the 70% part. Where are you getting that figure?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:00 AM

I'm trying to set up a Switch(button) With a glass box over it, the glass would open with another switch hidden somewhere. So nobody will go "Whats this?" and push it.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:08 AM

this mod does not cause problems, apparently, as long as it is not all the time.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:23 PM

the debate is out on if it causes long term drive train problems because of the excess power being shifted through the transmission. Lime is correct in saying it does not cause problems if only used once in awhile. obviously this is not something you use to drive around town in.

Zumble: does the VB work in the same way the drop resistor does? i believe they both apply more line pressure to the shifts. basicially its similar to Maxximum Tuning's VB mod. they have a street and track configuration. the drop resistor is more similar to the track configuration.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:33 PM

The reason I started thinking about the WOT switch was because I didn't want to worry about accidently flipping the switch. Or if someone else drives the car, them accidently flipping the switch. Why wouldn't you want full line pressure if you're going WOT anyways? Were you suggesting a arming switch on top of the WOT switch? Kinda like a valet mode?

Ya, you are right its not that often I go WOT anywhere but the track so its probably ok.

I don'k like the switch at the track because I have to remember to turn it on and off all the time and its just one more thing to forget. I don't like using it at part throttle so the WOT switch will be fine. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 PM

Works out for you because you engage the nitrous with your hand right? You can probably use the microswitch that came with your NX kit.

Ya, you are right its not that often I go WOT anywhere but the track so its probably ok.

I don'k like the switch at the track because I have to remember to turn it on and off all the time and its just one more thing to forget. I don't like using it at part throttle so the WOT switch will be fine. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Rockin' VK56!!

Any link to for this mod instruction?? I found few instructions, but they weren't as clear that a newbie(look under my SN) can understand. so......any link??

-john
Old 04-16-2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by maxima8624
Any link to for this mod instruction?? I found few instructions, but they weren't as clear that a newbie(look under my SN) can understand. so......any link??

-john
where did you look for instructions? the only page i have for it is http://bgarner.tripod.com/1995nissanmaxima/id3.html
Old 04-16-2003, 11:13 AM

Maybe you should contact the people at mobile tek and ask them if the mod bumps up the line pressure...rather then just guessing.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:25 AM

70% is just a number I pulled out of thin air. I have no idea how much the VB bumps up the line pressure. I would think the stock shifting line pressure is pretty low since its so buttery.

I have never seen, riden in, or tried the resistor mod myself. I do have experience with the VB mod since I've had it for over a year now. I can't imagine that the resistor mod makes it hit any harder than the VB mod. Yes, it's infinetly cheaper and doesn't require installation and it's not on all the time but.....I can't see it hitting any harder than a VB mod done correctly. Mine hits so hard sometimes that I think I'm going to break a motor mount or something.

I do think that if you are going the resistor route, a window type switch would be pretty cool to have since it would allow only WOT engagement.

Way to use the ol noggin'....
Old 04-16-2003, 11:37 AM

I have never seen, riden in, or tried the resistor mod myself. I do have experience with the VB mod since I've had it for over a year now. I can't imagine that the resistor mod makes it hit any harder than the VB mod.
I am just the opposite I have never seen, riden in or tried the VB Mod but I do know this. The drop resisitor mod could not be used for daily driving it hits that hard, even a very low throttle.

From what I have heard the VB mod is somewhat less than full line pressure but what % I have no idea.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:05 PM

I went to radio shack. Got the microswitch and a relay. I may try to hook all this up tonight or tomorrow. =) I'll tell you how it goes.

ZuM

I am just the opposite I have never seen, riden in or tried the VB Mod but I do know this. The drop resisitor mod could not be used for daily driving it hits that hard, even a very low throttle.

From what I have heard the VB mod is somewhat less than full line pressure but what % I have no idea.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:43 PM

I went to radio shack. Got the microswitch and a relay. I may try to hook all this up tonight or tomorrow. =) I'll tell you how it goes.

ZuM

definately keep us posted. even though i don't have a max
Old 04-16-2003, 07:20 PM

I have the relay and switch all wired and soldered ready to go in to the car. Problem is that I don't know how I can mount the microswitch! I tried to find some flexible metal material from home depot but no luck. Any ideas?
Old 04-17-2003, 06:52 AM

Anyone know if this will work? I'm wondering if the mounting plate will work for our cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...411098002&rd=1
Old 04-17-2003, 07:03 AM

Anyone know if this will work? I'm wondering if the mounting plate will work for our cars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...411098002&rd=1
Yes it will work, its a standard adaptor that they use, I think the NOS one was the same.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:12 AM

Sounds good. I have a radio shack dual position relay hooked up to the drop resistor right now. It's holding up fine in the closed position. I put the relay in the front relay box by the driverside headlamp. No problems, the car is shifting normally. I'm going to see if I can get that WOT switch. When I apply 12v to the relay, it should disconnect the drop resistor. =) I think you said the OD light flashes when the resistor is disconnected? So we get visual dashboard confirmation when the mod is in use =)

Yes it will work, its a standard adaptor that they use, I think the NOS one was the same.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:28 AM

Sounds good. I have a radio shack dual position relay hooked up to the drop resistor right now. It's holding up fine in the closed position. I put the relay in the front relay box by the driverside headlamp. No problems, the car is shifting normally. I'm going to see if I can get that WOT switch. When I apply 12v to the relay, it should disconnect the drop resistor. =) I think you said the OD light flashes when the resistor is disconnected? So we get visual dashboard confirmation when the mod is in use =)

It doesn't always flash, at least on my car, it somewhat temperamental, probably feminine, so its not reliable to check but you sure know when it shifts.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:08 AM

probably feminine, so its not reliable to check but you sure know when it shifts.

Jime, was your CEL also like this? there are times when i'd use it and the CEL would come on and then randomly turn off sometime later and other times when i use it, it doesnt turn on and if it did, it would be later on in the day. of course i'd only leave it on for 30 seconds at the most.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Romeo

Jime, was your CEL also like this? there are times when i'd use it and the CEL would come on and then randomly turn off sometime later and other times when i use it, it doesnt turn on and if it did, it would be later on in the day. of course i'd only leave it on for 30 seconds at the most.
Never had that happen with the CEL.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:00 PM

Okay guys, I won the auction for the NX WOT switch. I need to know where to run power for the relay signal. I'm probably going to use the WOT to provide ground to the relay. Right now I have the relay hooked straight up to the positive terminal of the battery. Probably not a good idea in the long term right? The wires for the signal terminals in the relay look really wimpy.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:08 PM

I put my switch right inside the panel where the fuses are, right under the steering wheel that way no-1 will acidently or intentionally mess with.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:16 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

For those guys trying to compare the max tuning vb mod and the resistor, it's like this

I currently have a Stage III VB from max tuning... 1-2 is snappy, but not neck wrenching, 2-3 is slightly quicker, but still sorta laggy... but definately an improvement.

I'm also boosted.

I pulled the drop resistor and did a full run to 130ish? before i got scared...

I spun/chirped 1-2 hard. 2-3, chirped hard.... 3-4(OD?) Didn't notice, was scared ****less driving on the highway.

Either way, the feel that I get between the two shifts is this. If you want quicker shifts, resistor mod hands down. The thing is, when my tranny shifted, it didn't feel right... the tranny just literally slammed into the next gear, throwing the car forward... it sorta just went "clunk" into the next gear.

If I were to actually do this switch mod, it'd be a track only mod. There's no way I could possibly drive at full line pressure through all gears.... with the vb mod, the higher the rpm, the harder/quicker the shift. With the resistor, you can be at 1500 rpm, or 6300, and it shifts just as hard.

One thing to note though, it's probably better for the tranny to have full line pressure in 2-3, and 3-4(if i actually need to shift that high at the track) because the vb isn't as quick as the resistor mod in those shifts.

Yeah yeah, i'll convert soon.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:08 PM

Not using a manual switch. Using a relay and a WOT switch.

Originally posted by irishmoyni

I put my switch right inside the panel where the fuses are, right under the steering wheel that way no-1 will acidently or intentionally mess with.

Quick Reply: Auto tranny drop resistor mod questions