4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

where do I get a 5-speed conversion done in SoCal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 07:31 PM

where do I get a 5-speed conversion done in SoCal?

I have a '97 and want to get a 5-speed conversion done, but where in southern california can I get it done? I would like to know of a shop thats done it before, otherwise I mite as well just try it myself.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

Re: where do I get a 5-speed conversion done in SoCal?

Originally posted by SupermaxGxe
I have a '97 and want to get a 5-speed conversion done, but where in southern california can I get it done? I would like to know of a shop thats done it before, otherwise I mite as well just try it myself.
I'm thinking about doing it myself also, but i'm newbie (look under my SN). I have totally no experience with cars YET, but hey, if you need any labor help(EX: getting wheels off the car) tell me!!
so i can learn some before i start with 5 spd conversion
oh..and i live in OC

-john-
Old 04-17-2003, 08:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Finishline in Gardena have done a few swaps

question is... do you already have the tranny?

the other Cali pro is Matthel Turbo95Max he's up in the bay but he knows wasup and you'll probably save some money in the long run
Old 04-17-2003, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by carnal_c30
Finishline in Gardena have done a few swaps

question is... do you already have the tranny?

the other Cali pro is Matthel Turbo95Max he's up in the bay but he knows wasup and you'll probably save some money in the long run
Great thanks! Would you happen to know the number to finishline? I live in San Diego so the bay area would a little to far for me.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:39 PM
silver99

5spd conversion is the dumbest thing ive ever heard of.

Old 04-17-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by silver99
WOW! Are you serious!? Because of that I just changed my mind nevermind everyone this smart guy just talked me out of it.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:51 PM
silver99

Lemme guess, u hooked your car up and now u realize you want a 5spd?

Old 04-17-2003, 08:59 PM

Lemme guess, u hooked your car up and now u realize you want a 5spd?
No, my car is stock but I am going to supercharge it and don't want to blow my sh!ty tranny. So I figured what the hell, do the conversion.
Old 04-19-2003, 04:20 PM
silver99

5spd conversion???? You dont need a mechanic u need a brain surgeon. Should have bought a 5spd to begin with.

Old 04-19-2003, 07:18 PM
syc

I don't see how it is the dumbest thing.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:25 PM
silver99

Originally posted by SupermaxGxe

No, my car is stock but I am going to supercharge it and don't want to blow my sh!ty tranny. So I figured what the hell, do the conversion.
LOL u think manual trans is any better????

Old 04-19-2003, 07:29 PM
silver99

Originally posted by syc

I don't see how it is the dumbest thing.
Well, here goes....maybe because u can buy the car with it already???
Are we just looking for headaches or what????
Its like buying a hershey bar at the store, bringing it home and melting it down to add in almonds. WTF u can just buy hershey with almonds already......

Old 04-19-2003, 07:44 PM
syc

Well, here goes....maybe because u can buy the car with it already???
Are we just looking for headaches or what????
Its like buying a hershey bar at the store, bringing it home and melting it down to add in almonds. WTF u can just buy hershey with almonds already......
what you said is true; headaches are the reasons. coverting to a 5 speed has a lot of headaches; buying/trading a new car and selling/trading an old one and lose money, finding the one that one love (same color, etc.), getting the same reliability, taking off the mods already been done and putting them in the new car, etc. have lots of headaches too. Yes, "should have bought a 5spd to begin with" is true, but he bought an auto is the fact. there are at least 15 or 20 people converted their max, at least Ten-thousand-don't-know-how-many people converted their civics, I don't see how it is the dumbest thing.

Edit: the one who started this thread, it's your car, your money, your time, and I wish you best on your conversion
Old 04-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by syc

what you said is true; headaches are the reasons. coverting to a 5 speed has a lot of headaches; buying/trading a new car and selling/trading an old one and lose money, finding the one that one love (same color, etc.), getting the same reliability, taking off the mods already been done and putting them in the new car, etc. have lots of headaches too. Yes, "should have bought a 5spd to begin with" is true, but he bought an auto is the fact. there are at least 15 or 20 people converted their max, at least Ten-thousand-don't-know-how-many people converted their civics, I don't see how it is the dumbest thing.

Edit: the one who started this thread, it's your car, your money, your time, and I wish you best on your conversion
yeP i agree w/ this guy. im also wanan do a 5 speed conversion sometime in the future, but it seems ppl on the .org who have done it are located either west or east coast, and im in the midwest. =(
Old 04-19-2003, 07:56 PM
silver99

Originally posted by syc

what you said is true; headaches are the reasons. coverting to a 5 speed has a lot of headaches; so is buying/trading a new car and selling/trading an old one and lose money, finding the one that one love (same color, etc.), getting the same reliability, taking off the mods already been done and putting them in the new car, etc. Yes, "should have bought a 5spd to begin with" is true, but he bought an auto is the fact. there are at least 15 or 20 people converted their max, at least Ten-thousand-don't-know-how-many people converted their civics, I don't see how it is the dumbest thing.
You are seeing the light.
I was blessed with a situation where I could pick from a list of maximas. I did not have a hard time buying and could not think of the woes you are explaining. I am satisfied on where are views have met and consider my statement about 5spd conversion rather harsh. I would like to correct it by saying: "with the availability of 5spd maximas in the market, buying an auto and converting it to manual is foolish.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:14 PM
syc

I wish i can convert mine, but i don't have money and my wife needs to drive my car too
Old 04-19-2003, 08:50 PM
silver99

Originally posted by syc
I wish i can convert mine, but i don't have money and my wife needs to drive my car too
While ur at it pick me up some hershey bars and almonds at the store PLZ...