4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need advice; CLUTCH.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:38 PM
TSW

Need advice; CLUTCH.

Hi there,

Well, after visiting the local dealer, my car turned out to be fine. However, they wanna take it inside to check if the transmission is totally fine. It feels that 2nd gear is kind harsh to engage. I think synchronizers are about to go. Also they told me if they will replace transmission’s oil, it will get better. True or bull?
Also, they noticed that my clutch pedal is kinda hard to press. Is it normal after 41clicks on it?
I did not really abuse my MAXIMA, as some of you know I dropped my clutch 6-8 times.
I agree it could have been enough to destroy my bearings, or 1st and 2nd gear shafts.

What would be the best clutch for my 1999’ ? and if you are asking “what mods I have on my engine”, just CAI.
Also I would like to keep smooth shifting intact.
Thanks!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:49 PM
I H8 COPS

Re: Need advice; CLUTCH.

Originally posted by TSW
Hi there,

Well, after visiting the local dealer, my car turned out to be fine. However, they wanna take it inside to check if the transmission is totally fine. It feels that 2nd gear is kind harsh to engage. I think synchronizers are about to go. Also they told me if they will replace transmission’s oil, it will get better. True or bull?
Also, they noticed that my clutch pedal is kinda hard to press. Is it normal after 41clicks on it?
I did not really abuse my MAXIMA, as some of you know I dropped my clutch 6-8 times.
I agree it could have been enough to destroy my bearings, or 1st and 2nd gear shafts.

What would be the best clutch for my 1999’ ? and if you are asking “what mods I have on my engine”, just CAI.
Also I would like to keep smooth shifting intact.
Thanks!
That's BULL man! Don't ever believe those sweaty mechanics at a dealership. In your case, I truly believe that replacing the transmission oil will do nothing to help your problem. Like you, I have also dropped my clutch like 6-8 times, A WEEK! Been doing that for the past 6 months. Till this day I don't expierience any mechanical failure on the part of the clutch or the synchronizers. I guess it all depends on what RPM you drop you clutch at. In any case, don't believe them. From my expierience, Nissan dealerships tend to rip you off big. I can relate to this because recently when my rear O2 sensor needed replacement. I went to a few dealerships and each told me anywhere from $200 to $300 for labor alone!!! I guess I could have done it myself after seeing a regular auto-repair mechanic do it for $10.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:11 PM
TSW

Re: Re: Need advice; CLUTCH.

Hi,
Thanks Man! Just to get back to you about dropping the clutch.
You said you have been doing this thing for quite some time, right.
I just wanted to know the RPM that you drop the clutch at?

I really want to see where i stand on that, just to let you know i did at 5000 in 1st, 5000 in the second and 4000 in 3rd. Is it really bad?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:26 PM
I H8 COPS

Re: Re: Re: Need advice; CLUTCH.

Originally posted by TSW
Hi,

I really want to see where i stand on that, just to let you know i did at 5000 in 1st, 5000 in the second and 4000 in 3rd. Is it really bad?

Thanks!
HOLY ****! You got me there When I drop my clutch, it seldom happens over 3K RPM. It's usually in the 2.5 - 3.5K range. 5K seems outrageous! I'm amazed you have any clutch left. Of course, I assume you have the stock clutch, like i do. In all due respect however, I do not see why you would want to drop the clutch with such intensity. I know I know...you like it fast etc. etc. When I do it at 3K, I already feel like it's way too much. Depending on the surface, dropping the clutch at or above 3K RPM does not very often, if ever, guarantee a better take-off. From my expierience, it's quite the opposite...you lose more than you gain that way and yes, i mean speed-wise. I have yet to hear of a stock maxima taking off faster when dropping the clutch at more than 3K RPM. I don't know about those performance clutches...so I cannot say. It also depends on the rollers and the tires.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:48 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Re: Need advice; CLUTCH.

Originally posted by TSW
Hi,

Thanks!
don't your wheels just spin forever if you decide to drop it at 5k?? sounds nuts...

as for the dealership, how much do they charge for "checking out your tranny" Might want to look into that... not worth it.

Also, if it comes down to replacing your clutch, do NOT allow them to put in the Key-Value clutch. You have to tell the mechanics that you want the OEM japanese clutch. I'd say go aftermarket (like exedy) but if you're gettin it done at dealer, that's what u end up w/. Good luck.