4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Shifting in a Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 05:49 AM
magoo_man

Hey guys, I need a little advice. I just traded in my '92 Sentra for a '99 Maxima EuroSport 5spd in late December. I have to say it's the most awsome car I've ever driven. But I need some help.

The Sentra was also a 5spd, and after owning it for 3 years, I had power-shifting in that thing down to a fine art. I could litteraly hold the gas to the floor while shifting without bringing the revs past 5000.

The Maxima, doesn't seem to like it. While the car's stopped, I can throw the shifter into any gear with ease. But, once she's moving, I get some major resistance going from 2nd to 3rd. The Maxima forces me to shift smoothly. Over time, I've learned to shift quicker, but still can't match the same burst of speed you get when doing a true power-shift. My question is, can I do something about it? Is it possible to do real power shifts?

Chris.

Old 01-20-2001, 08:50 AM

To answer your question + giving you some hope... I haven't power shifted with a stock 5sp tranny, so I don't know if it's possible. I would think so since anything is possible.
I HAVE power shifted with a 5sp, aluminum flywheel, Stage III clutch and short shifter... and let me tell you from that experience, it is possible..
Hope this helps
Old 01-20-2001, 03:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have beed doing it for about six months now on my stock tranney and clutch. 1-2 is easy, 2-3 is a bit tougher but it rips really good! What kind of transmisson fluid are you running? Upgrading to a better fluid like Mobile 1, Redline, Royal Purple or Amsol will probably help. Most people who do this notice a difference in the smoothness of their regular shifting, I'd bet it would help with power shifting also.

I really like power shifting!
Old 01-20-2001, 05:03 PM
magoo_man

You serious? I noticed the same thing, 1-2 is no problem. It really claws the road.... I'll try that Mobile 1 stuff and let you know....thanks man!

I really like power shifting too! in my sentra I could keep with with autos, that were a class above me thanks to the shifting. Can't wait to see what the man is capable of

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I have beed doing it for about six months now on my stock tranney and clutch. 1-2 is easy, 2-3 is a bit tougher but it rips really good! What kind of transmisson fluid are you running? Upgrading to a better fluid like Mobile 1, Redline, Royal Purple or Amsol will probably help. Most people who do this notice a difference in the smoothness of their regular shifting, I'd bet it would help with power shifting also.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:06 PM

How do you power shift? And is it good to do it this way?
Old 01-20-2001, 10:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

same thing with the 5th gen.....

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

or is it just me? hmmm....
Old 01-21-2001, 05:08 AM
magoo_man

That's a tough question. Power shifting I consider a form of art. It's the ability to shift without taking your foot off the gas. When done correctly you get a burst of acceleration that you would never normally experience, because it's brings up the revs just before changing gears, so if you power-shifted correctly at 4000, by the time you let go of the clutch you'd be at 5000. So instead of slowing down between gears, you actually speed up. I think it can have a really positive affect on your 0-60 time.

I do not recommend trying this unless you *really* know your car well. **** this up, and your engine is toast. No question about it.

So to answer your question, done correctly, it's "okay" (as in doesn't reallly hurt anything) done incorrectly, and well it's new engine time.

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE
How do you power shift? And is it good to do it this way?

Old 01-21-2001, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is certain to excelerate clutch wear! I still have a stock clutch, sooooo.. I look at it as an opertunity to work my may to a performance upgrade a little sooner
Old 01-21-2001, 02:09 PM

Actually, wouldn't it be.. you F**K this up and your TRANNY is toast, not engine...

The engine can handle going to redline.. not too long though of course. I would think that screwing up powershifting will just toast 1st, your clutch, 2nd, your tranny...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by magoo_man

I do not recommend trying this unless you *really* know your car well. **** this up, and your engine is toast. No question about it.

So to answer your question, done correctly, it's "okay" (as in doesn't reallly hurt anything) done incorrectly, and well it's new engine time.

Old 01-21-2001, 04:52 PM
magoo_man

Re: Actually, wouldn't it be.. you F**K this up and your TRANNY is toast, not engine.

Good point

I've never actually the seen the damage caused by screwing up a power shift, and um...I'd like to keep it that way

Chris.

Originally posted by PiotrC70
The engine can handle going to redline.. not too long though of course. I would think that screwing up powershifting will just toast 1st, your clutch, 2nd, your tranny...

Old 01-21-2001, 07:24 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I think Russ destroyed a flywheel and clutch with a blown powershift.

For me, powershifting the 1-2 is worthless because I get even more wheelspin than granny shifting. The 2-3 is incredibly easy. It's all about how you guide the shifter. Put your palm behind the shifter and push up. It easily goes into gear. Any other way and you'll get hung up on the gates. I only powershift on occasion. I have yet to do it at the track.

Dave