4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

*Update* UPRD ECU ordering info..

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2001, 01:47 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Hi guys.
We're practically there. Here are the list of names that i have so far,
Adam Alvarez
Brett Goldman
Clint Ratliff
Daniel Mendes
Ethan Pray
Fernando Cuco
jason ittel
Jeremy Brenner
justin gadlage
Ken Morikawa
lawrence weekes
liem nguyen
Matt Johnson
Matt Varnell
matthew Pelto
Rob Hall
robert grundy
Surya Shandy

that's 18.
Plus there are

Clayton Thomas
96SE 5spd.
slim_pckns@yahoo.com

Jeremy Carnahan
97 5spd.
pmg3000@mindspring.com

Alex Bahena
96 GXE 5Spd
I plan to spray (NOS)
alex.bahena@netzero.net

Peter Shillingford
95 Maxima SE 5-SPD
petahs@home.com

who have YET to send in their info to me.

If we get everyone on this list, the price is set. $425.00

We might even get it lower than $425 if we can get a few more 95/96/97ers to hop in...

ok. thanks.
if you want to order, then please,
fill out this form, and mail it to me (cheston@seas.ucla.edu).

First Name:
Last Name:
Address:
State:
Zip:
Phone:
email:
Year of Maxima:
Tranny (auto/stick):
Payment option (Cash, credit, money order, check):
Old 01-21-2001, 02:02 PM

LETS GO PEOPLE!!!!

Hey Cheston, I have already mailed the four guys that haven't sent in the ORDER FORM yet. So hopefully they will be in soon.
Old 01-21-2001, 02:13 PM

Hey Cheston, I double checked the list and

I think Marc Frechette got left out, I sent him the order form and he mailed it back to me and I believe to you last night. I will send it to you again.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:14 PM

Hey Guys........

I know this is toward the end of completing the ECU deal, but if you have any links to any other up to date info on this product, please let me know. I recently have decided to look into purchasing an ECU upgrade for my 96(auto). I don't want to have any problems with check engine lights, detonation, etc...

So far I heaven't heard anything regarding check engine light issues with the UPRD ecu. Does this upgrade affect the engine in any adverse way(pinging/detonation/etc.)?

Please let me know if there are any other dyno runs performed with this ecu installed/uninstalled. It seems the last dyno was from about 2+ months ago, and I thought there were others to be performed.

There are probably a million threads on this ecu, and if you could brake it down to the threads that offer the most up to date and accurate info, I would appreciate it. Along with any new links with info as well.

Thanks in advance
Rob
Old 01-21-2001, 03:16 PM

finalize this deal soon

Chetons when are you going to finalize this deal soon...
i mean give a final date.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:17 PM

Also.....

Do you have a comparison of the UPRD ecu and the Jim Wolfe ecu? I'd like to see how it compares with equally equipped vehicles on a comparable dyno machine.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

JWT VS UPRD

There has not been any back to back test of these two ECU's but judging by dyno #'s the UPRD ecu had a little more pid range HP and the top end is about the same.

As for the check engine light and nocking, I never experienced either of these problems with the Uprd ecu. The only experiences I had with it were good, infact very good!

Heres the list of power mods I had on my 95 se 5spd, Stillen :intake,Y-Pipe,Catback exaust,RT cat,Centerforce stage III clutch,alluminum flywheel,Denso Iridium plugs and UPRD ecu. With all these mods my max was mean! very quick. My best race I had was with my friends 97 Mustang GT 5spd, which had K&N filter,jet Chip and racing gears. Anyways I took him by from a dead stop all the way up to about 100 with bald Q rated snow tires,the end result was me winning by about 7 car lenths and a mustang owner with new found respect for a max.
Old 01-21-2001, 03:54 PM

Re: JWT VS UPRD

Originally posted by emax95
There has not been any back to back test of these two ECU's but judging by dyno #'s the UPRD ecu had a little more pid range HP and the top end is about the same.

As for the check engine light and nocking, I never experienced either of these problems with the Uprd ecu. The only experiences I had with it were good, infact very good!

Heres the list of power mods I had on my 95 se 5spd, Stillen :intake,Y-Pipe,Catback exaust,RT cat,Centerforce stage III clutch,alluminum flywheel,Denso Iridium plugs and UPRD ecu. With all these mods my max was mean! very quick. My best race I had was with my friends 97 Mustang GT 5spd, which had K&N filter,jet Chip and racing gears. Anyways I took him by from a dead stop all the way up to about 100 with bald Q rated snow tires,the end result was me winning by about 7 car lenths and a mustang owner with new found respect for a max.

Thanks for the response.....
Have you dynoed your car before and/or after the UPRD ecu upgrade? I have CAI/UDP/y-pipe/RTcat/Greddy, and plan to dyno soon. My car is an auto, so I'm going to lose some hp thru the tranny, and it can't be directly compared with your results, but it would at least give me an idea of the change with these mods. If you haven't doen the dyno, is there anybody else that has with mods as well?
Old 01-21-2001, 04:07 PM

I have never dynoed my car,Unfortunatly,

Another guy here who had the same mods as me except for the RT cat,denso, Clutch and Flywheel dynoed 192 HP in 90 degree weather so I believe if I did dyno my max then I would produce about 200 HP to the wheels.I never dynoed because there are no dyno's anywere near me.
Old 01-21-2001, 04:18 PM

Re: I have never dynoed my car,Unfortunatly,

Originally posted by emax95
Another guy here who had the same mods as me except for the RT cat,denso, Clutch and Flywheel dynoed 192 HP in 90 degree weather so I believe if I did dyno my max then I would produce about 200 HP to the wheels.I never dynoed because there are no dyno's anywere near me.

Did he also have the UPRD ecu when he produced 192? I'm assuming he didn't have the ecu like you have, which would tell me that you would dyno quite a bit more with the RT cat/denso iridium's/cluthc/flywheel/UPRD ecu.... More than 200 with the ecu, right? I heard that Cheston and Nabil also have the UPRD installed, what do they produce on the Dynometer? What other mods do they have if you tell me a dyno figure other than what is already shown on the UPRD postings from Cheston's site? I was curious if any other dyno runs have been performed after November of last year?

I have lots of questions, because I am very interested and want to be well informed before diving in...I hope you understand....thanks again for assisting me with info...
Old 01-21-2001, 04:33 PM

Re: Re: I have never dynoed my car,Unfortunatly,

Car With No Name: With the UPRD ECU, we are not getting it because of the max hp gain. We are getting it for the mid range. This mod would still make our cars a lot faster even if there was no Max hp gain at all. Also, since you have an auto, some have said that this mod might benefit us more, because of our gearing. When we shift our rpms will be at the sweet spot of the rpm range given to us by the UPRD. I am not saying I believe this mod is better for autos than 5spds, but it will benefit them both substantially. Also, it is hard to dyno an auto, so if we had a dyno of one it will be debated heavily, because you could have margin of error of +-4hp. As for any other dynos other than the ones that Nabil and Cheston have already posted, no I don't think there are.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Car With No Name
[I]

Did he also have the UPRD ecu when he produced 192? I'm assuming he didn't have the ecu like you have, which would tell me that you would dyno quite a bit more with the RT cat/denso iridium's/cluthc/flywheel/UPRD ecu.... More than 200 with the ecu, right? I heard that Cheston and Nabil also have the UPRD installed, what do they produce on the Dynometer? What other mods do they have if you tell me a dyno figure other than what is already shown on the UPRD postings from Cheston's site? I was curious if any other dyno runs have been performed after November of last year?

I have lots of questions, because I am very interested and want to be well informed before diving in...I hope you understand....thanks again for assisting me with info...
Old 01-21-2001, 04:37 PM

No problem dude,

The guy who made 192HP{come to think of it,it may have been even higher} he had a JWT ECU.As for dynoeing more then 200HP, I would not expect too much more then 200HP at the wheels but maybe a little more.About Nabil's max he never dynoed it with the UPRD ecu other then on the UPRD dyno{which was a special type of dyno for tuning and can not be compared 100% to real world HP #'s}.So basicaly the only real dyno{clayton} that was peformed was Chestons dyno,so look at his #'s for the most accurate gains but keep in mind his tires were wet{it was raining that day} and were slipping on the dyno so maximum HP figures were not achieved.Bottum line is the UPRD ECU rocks! you will notice a significant improvement in exelaration as soon as you install it,infact a much more notacible increase then with the Y-Pipe.The UPRD ecu is one of the only mods that really will help your car in midrange,which is nice because all the exaust/intake mods just help on the top end and wont help in the midrange like the ecu,so when you combine exaust and the ecu mod then you will have a much better all around power band.
Old 01-21-2001, 04:44 PM

ARRRGGGGGG........

Decisions...Decisions...Is Monday the cut off for this deal?
Do I need to make a decision tonight?...arrgggg...Is everybody(including 95's and 96's) purchasing an extra stock ecu to send in instead of their original one? Is this the best way to go about it? Sorry to have questions so close to the closing date of this deal, but I haven't been as serious as I am right now to get an ECU upgrade such as the UPRD, or the Jim Wolfe....

One negative about the info I have heard about the JW ECU, is that it may make a check engine light come on in my 96 max.....for me that's a NO/NO, I don't want any issues like that occuring...you know what I mean?

Thanks again for the info guys....
Old 01-21-2001, 04:52 PM

Re: ARRRGGGGGG........(Dive in the Water is Fine)

Originally posted by Car With No Name
Decisions...Decisions...Is Monday the cut off for this deal?
Do I need to make a decision tonight?...arrgggg...Is everybody(including 95's and 96's) purchasing an extra stock ecu to send in instead of their original one? Is this the best way to go about it? Sorry to have questions so close to the closing date of this deal, but I haven't been as serious as I am right now to get an ECU upgrade such as the UPRD, or the Jim Wolfe....

One negative about the info I have heard about the JW ECU, is that it may make a check engine light come on in my 96 max.....for me that's a NO/NO, I don't want any issues like that occuring...you know what I mean?

Thanks again for the info guys....
The only person to have a check engine light come on was Cheston with his 97 with the 96 ECU in, and this was because of a different 02 reading or someting that the ECU was expecting. Nabils'96, and Emaxs'95 never had a problem with the light. So since you have a 96 your are all good. Dive in the Water is fine!! lol Email me if you are still unsure.
Old 01-21-2001, 05:28 PM

My Buddy.....

just put in a Swift Racing(Lexus upgrades) ECU/Intake replacing his Rod Millen intake. The GS400 made awesome and very noticable gains with the ECU piggy-back. This sold me on getting an ECU for my car. I always was interested in the ecu, but after riding in his car before and after the ecu upgrade, I have to have it!!!
Old 01-21-2001, 05:42 PM

So Can we Add another to the LIST?????

Are you in??

Originally posted by Car With No Name
just put in a Swift Racing(Lexus upgrades) ECU/Intake replacing his Rod Millen intake. The GS400 made awesome and very noticable gains with the ECU piggy-back. This sold me on getting an ECU for my car. I always was interested in the ecu, but after riding in his car before and after the ecu upgrade, I have to have it!!!
Old 01-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Does the UPRD ecu work on 96 I30t 5 speed as well?

Old 01-21-2001, 06:09 PM

Emax!!! Whatcha think about this.....

hmmm good posibility

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30
Does the UPRD ecu work on 96 I30t 5 speed as well?
Old 01-21-2001, 08:09 PM

I believe the ECU should work on a 96 I30,

because it is the exact same ECU used in a 96 Max, to find out for sure call your dealer and get the part #'s of both a 96 max ECU and a 96 I30 ECU, I am about 99% sure they are the same,but check anyways to be 100% sure.

You guys got me jealus now because I want a UPRD ecu for my 98 I30T but there is no such animal.I guess my soon to be SC will hold me over for a little while hehe.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:27 PM

98 98 98!

98 98 98!

Old 01-21-2001, 08:54 PM

Is this a direct swap? Like UPRD sending me an ECU instead of me taking my ECU out and sending it to them to be reprogram? I rather UPRD send me the ECU, that way I can use my old ECU as a backup. I hope the price can still go down a little, maybe around $400 even, or less.
Old 01-21-2001, 08:59 PM

Nope you have to take it out and send youre ECU

to them.What do you expect for $425? The ECU it's self sells for $150.You could buy a ECU and then send it to them and not suffer the 4 day down time {which was actually only 3 day's for me from R.I. to Cali.} but you will end up spending a extra $150ish.
Old 01-22-2001, 06:03 AM

The Count is 25!!!!!!

We lost two people off the list because they got new cars, but we still grew 5 people last night. You want to make a decision and still unsure. Email me!!!
Old 01-22-2001, 05:30 PM

We have 26 and need 4 more for free shipping!!!!

The price is at $425. If you are still unsure and hesitant now is the time to decide. If you want to make an informed decision then Email me and I will help you find the info you are looking for.
Old 01-22-2001, 05:40 PM

yo lets start this!!!

i dont care about shipping lets start this and can u please give us at least a final day of this group deal.
I want to know a final please thanks cheston.
Old 01-22-2001, 06:16 PM

This is not meant to discourage Maxima owners, but I am going to pass. The Infiniti dealer told me today that there are different ECUs for my model depending on the VIN number, so I am afraid that a "generic" ECU might not work flawlessly in my car.

Old 01-22-2001, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30
This is not meant to discourage Maxima owners, but I am going to pass. The Infiniti dealer told me today that there are different ECUs for my model depending on the VIN number, so I am afraid that a "generic" ECU might not work flawlessly in my car.

I think you may be a little confused about this,heres why,When you say generic it sounds to me that you think UPRD is sending you some sort of different ECU in the mail,heres the case you send your ECU to them and then they reprogram it with a piggy back chip and also fuel remaping programs and send it back to you.So you are not getting a "Generic" ECU rather they just reprogram your ECU.What you need to do is find out the serial #'s on your I30's ECU and then call a Nissan dealership and ask them if they have a Nissan ECU that matches the serial# on your I30 ECU,at that point ask them what year Max has the same ECU serial # and if it is a 95-96 model you are golden {which I bet is the case}.Also when your dealer sais that there are different model ECU's for different vin #'s it is for the following 2 reasons,1 reason the auto serial #'s will differ from 5spd serial #'s and the 2nd reason is that different years have different ECU's for example 95 and 97 are differnt ECU's.Anyways I figured I would help try to clear this up for you.I know if I had a 96 I30 I would not even hesatate to ordor it because I am almost a 100% sure the ecu is adentical to a Max just like the car {except for some supper ficial things}.