4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ECU code 0302 & Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 08:09 AM

ECU code 0302 & Questions

I followed the directions in the sticky note and got the 0302 code "EGR System Hi/Low Flow". I called the dealer and asked about the price of repairs for the EGR valve since I had alread diagnosed the problem. He wanted to look up the codes to "confirm" this. He says the 0302 is a misfire code code and it could be coils or spark plugs. He recommended a tune up. I was in the same shop less than six months ago for a 100K tuneup. The car is running just like it did before the check engine light came on.

Is the dealer trying to be helpful by double checking the code or is he taking advantage of me since I'm not a car guy?
If it is the EGR valve, can I replace it myself with basic tool knowledge?
Where would I get a valve? Dealer?

Thanks,
-Robert
Old 05-01-2003, 11:12 AM

I would search the Internet for prices. I think the dealer is trying to help...READ BELOW

The EGR Valve Courtesy:
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic10224.htm

A P0300 code would indicate a random misfire (probably due to a vacuum leak, open EGR valve, etc.). If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Causes here would be anything that might affect only a single cylinder such as a fouled spark plug, a bad coil in a coil-on-plug ignition system or distributorless ignition system with individual coils, a clogged or dead fuel injector, a leaky valve or head gasket.

http://www.trinbagoauto.com/icp_exhaust.asp
The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve is used to send some of the exhaust gas back into the cylinders to reduce combustion temperature. Why would we want to do this?

Nitrous oxides (nasty pollutants) form when the combustion temperature gets above 2,500 degrees F. This happens, because at such temperatures, the nitrogen in the air mixes with the oxygen to create nitrous oxides. Did you ever have two friends that were fine by themselves but just awful when they got together? Well, our good friend, the sun, is just like that. When it's sunny, the nitrous oxides from the exhaust get together with the hydrocarbons in the air to form our not-so-good friend, smog. That's when the EGR valve comesin handy.

By recirculating some of the exhaust gas back through the intake manifold to the cylinders, we can lower the combustion temperature. Lowering the combustion temperature lowers the amount of nitrous oxide produced. Consequently, less of it comes out the tail pipe.

There are two types of EGR valves. One operates through the use of a vacuum, and the other operated through the use of pressure. Both types allow the exhaust gas in to lower the combustion temperature when it gets too high.