4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Regarding Rear Door

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Regarding Rear Door

Guys my mom focked up my rear driver sides door (the skin) pretty badly, she ran up the side of a parked SUVs bumper 2 nights ago. Now a good body shop told me that they cant bang it out because its right by the camber support bar in the door because the dent is concaved in and out, so I need a new door skin, and also my back bumper is pretty bad so i'm going to buy a new bumper cover primed and have them paint it. Now I found a door skin online at 1autobodyparts.com for 85 dollars, and I found the rear bumper cover primed for 113 dollars, the body shop is charging 500 dollars to paint both, 2 coats of base, 2 of clear. Now the door skin and bumper cover are aftermarket, will that be a problem with the material from the original OEM door? I'm in New Jersey, can someone shed some light over here? Thanks...
Old 05-01-2003, 11:03 AM

They have to weld the door shell too. Im in the same situation except with the drivers side door. I was looking at the sheel route, but I think I'm going to hit up some junkyards and see if I can't just get a whole new door.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:21 AM

Well I checked a couple of yards and let me warn you DO NOT GO WITH THEM.
The Doors I saw were in horrible shape and were going from 350-650!!!. Just
buy the shell, or skin whichever you need of the internet, and have it painted, the shop SHOULD match the door with the rest of your car. My friend just got his fender done from the shop I'm going to get my work done from and they did a tremendous job. Just buy a skin, or shell, which ever you need. And let the body shop do the rest...
Old 05-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

GO WITH OEM PARTS

OEM PARTS FIT MUCH BETTER!

We hate using aftermarket parts, especially bumper covers.
They never line up correctly. Don't waste your $$$ on aftermarket stuff, get OEM. $500 to paint both is an "OK" price, does that include putting the skin on? If so then thats a good quote.

Prolione Body and Chassis
545 River Drive
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
201-398-1512
Old 05-01-2003, 11:59 AM

So where can I get the OEM door skin and bumper cover from? And for how much? How much would you paint the door skin, and bumper cover for? How many coats of each base and clear?
Old 05-01-2003, 12:15 PM

I would and did look at salvage yards. When my rear door got messed up a while I go I called some autobody shops. I ended up getting a near perfect door, although it was green and my car was black, for $200. I then went to this guy in Philly who owned his own shop to get it painted. He charged me $175 to paint it black, fix the little ding, switch all my interior stuff and windows, and finally put it on. It matched perfectly. If your nearby Philadelphia, I believe his shop was called "A Auto" or something like that. He was very nice and was the one who told me about the salvage yards. Hope that helps some.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:23 PM

I don't understand what the big difference in aftermarket vs. oem is I mean the companies are GURANTEEING THE PART to fit and look exactly the same just because it was manufactured differently doesn't mean its harder to fit. I mean I don't know personally but that's just my way of looking at it. A lot of the stuff us maxima owners have is aftermarket and it does work up to par with OEM if not better... but still I'm not expert.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:39 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally posted by HarrisH
I don't understand what the big difference in aftermarket vs. oem is I mean the companies are GURANTEEING THE PART to fit and look exactly the same just because it was manufactured differently doesn't mean its harder to fit.
They are manufactured different and they do fit and look different. I just got an aftermarket grill and the thing doesn't fit perfect. Also, just got the Trenz insert and I had a ***** of a time trying to get that in.
Old 05-01-2003, 07:41 PM

So where can I buy OEM parts from I need a rear door skin,
and rear bumper cover primed.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:31 AM

BUMP, anyone know where I can get a rear door skin and bumper cover thats OEM and how much I'm looking at ?
Old 05-02-2003, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by HarrisH
BUMP, anyone know where I can get a rear door skin and bumper cover thats OEM and how much I'm looking at ?
Nissan is the OEM so Nissan is where you get it from. The Dealership might not sell you a door skin over the counter. They might only sell body parts like that through their wholesale division. The bumper cover may not be a problem, the door skin will. Some dealerships are strange like that.

Let the body shop get the parts and fix the car. It's not something you should mess with. Your not going to save a lot of money getting the parts yourself either.

If your in New Jersey, come down and see us for an estimate. We are contracted by Elmwood Park Nissan as their direct repair facility.

Proline Body and Chassis
545 River Drive
Elmwood Park, NJ 07407
201-398-1512
Old 05-02-2003, 08:48 AM

I just called you guys and asked for Tom and someone said that we wasn't there at the moment so I decided to call later. The shop is getting the door SHELL for 407.11 dollars thats a lot different than the 285.13 I see it on the internet for. I definantly need a new door skin/shell, and a rear bumper cover. Can you please give me a price on just those parts and the labor and paint charges to paint them? How many base and clear coats do you use?
Old 05-02-2003, 09:46 AM

???
Old 05-02-2003, 10:23 AM
diggytdog

have you tried pulling the dents out with dry ice?.from what i understand the dry ice cuases a suction that should pull out dents.but i dont know how bad your dorr is so i cant say for sure if it will work.,just another option for you to look into

Old 05-02-2003, 11:01 AM

HarrisH Check your PM's please....