4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do you think that the possibly of differential bearings going bad in a 5sp is reason…

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003 | 05:39 PM

Do you think that the possibly of differential bearings going bad in a 5sp is reason…

To reconsider buying a 95-97 5 speed maxima? I plan of buying a 95-97 5 speed max this summer and i have heard that this problem is pretty common. Just how common is it (a percent would be nice)? Do you think that most maxima's would have already encountered the problem and had it fixed? I dont know if it would be worth it to look into autos instead. I really would like a 5 speed since they are much faster and more fun to drive. But having to pay $1,000 because of some bearings going bad would suck. I know what to look for when checking out a car (gear whine, leaks, ect) but is there anything you can do to prevent it from happening? Like a certain tranny oil to use? I know that most people on here pefer sticks, but please dont reply saying "auto sucks, get a 5 speed". I am going to try searching for some anwsers too...
Old 05-01-2003 | 06:38 PM

My impression is that if the differential preload is too much then there is not much you can do. The biggest thing to check for seems to be free play in the CV. Common failure mileage is generally around 60000 miles. There's a wealth of information about this in the FAQ. One of the links talks about a specific production site *possibly* producing the bad trannies. You can check your VIN against the one mentioned there. Also see motorvate.
Old 05-01-2003 | 09:19 PM
Banned

Re: Do you think that the possibly of differential bearings going bad in a 5sp is reason…

Originally posted by Smithdogg1
To reconsider buying a 95-97 5 speed maxima? I plan of buying a 95-97 5 speed max this summer and i have heard that this problem is pretty common. Just how common is it (a percent would be nice)? Do you think that most maxima's would have already encountered the problem and had it fixed? I dont know if it would be worth it to look into autos instead. I really would like a 5 speed since they are much faster and more fun to drive. But having to pay $1,000 because of some bearings going bad would suck. I know what to look for when checking out a car (gear whine, leaks, ect) but is there anything you can do to prevent it from happening? Like a certain tranny oil to use? I know that most people on here pefer sticks, but please dont reply saying "auto sucks, get a 5 speed". I am going to try searching for some anwsers too...

i have the problem now,and lets just say im really ****ed off about it.if i knew about the problem b4 hand i would of passed on this car.its inevitable.
Old 05-02-2003 | 10:08 AM

Common I need some more opinions. I suppose if i did end up getting the auto, that could have the possbilty of failing too. Esp if I drive the car hard. And auto's are a lot more expensive to replace/fix that 5 speeds.
Old 05-02-2003 | 11:46 AM

It doesn't seem to happen to all cars. My 5sp has 155k miles and it's still fine.

-V
Old 05-02-2003 | 12:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's a roll of the dice, but the odds may be more magnified than the real numbers probably are. There are about 400,000 95-99 Maximas out there in the US. 5%, or 20,000 of those will be 5 speeds. Maxima.org has about 5000 members, and not every 5 speeder here has bad bearings. There's quite a few, but not everyone. Like maybe 200 on this site, if wer'e lucky. Also, there will be alot more 5 speeders here at Maxima.org than in the general Maxima population, because we're emthusiasts Given that, the chances are still decent that there are good 5 speed trannies out there. Also, if you find a car with bad bearings, if you can, take that car, and talk the guy into taking $1000 off. That way, you get the car, and replace the bearings (and clutch) immediately with no loss to you financially, and you wind up with a solid 5 speed tranny from the get go.

DW
Old 05-02-2003 | 01:27 PM

Just buy a '98. 90k miles and no problems.(knock on wood)
Old 05-02-2003 | 04:42 PM
pjalst

How do you know if you have bad bearings? what are the symptoms?
Old 05-03-2003 | 05:57 AM

Originally posted by pjalst
How do you know if you have bad bearings? what are the symptoms?
From what i have read. Gear whine that starts with only 1st and withen time gets all the way to 5th, Play in the CV axle where it enters the tranny, leaking seals, and metal shavings the the transmission fluid.
Old 05-03-2003 | 02:25 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
It's a roll of the dice, but the odds may be more magnified than the real numbers probably are. There are about 400,000 95-99 Maximas out there in the US. 5%, or 20,000 of those will be 5 speeds. Maxima.org has about 5000 members, and not every 5 speeder here has bad bearings. There's quite a few, but not everyone. Like maybe 200 on this site, if wer'e lucky. Also, there will be alot more 5 speeders here at Maxima.org than in the general Maxima population, because we're emthusiasts Given that, the chances are still decent that there are good 5 speed trannies out there. Also, if you find a car with bad bearings, if you can, take that car, and talk the guy into taking $1000 off. That way, you get the car, and replace the bearings (and clutch) immediately with no loss to you financially, and you wind up with a solid 5 speed tranny from the get go.
DW

Yeah that is a good point. I am sure that not as many people as it seems have the problem. I dont think I should let it stop me from buying a 5 speed, i guess. And if i got an auto i would probley be unhappy with it anyways and wishing that i got the 5 speed.
Old 05-03-2003 | 02:29 PM
Banned

hey smithdogg1

Yeah that is a good point. I am sure that not as many people as it seems have the problem. I dont think I should let it stop me from buying a 5 speed, i guess. And if i got an auto i would probley be unhappy with it anyways and wishing that i got the 5 speed.
i sent you a private message ,check it when you got time,or send me a im at nycool411.thanks
Old 05-05-2003 | 10:34 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

1st gear whine is normal in all Maximas. Mine's done it since the day I bought the car well over 4 years ago.

I've got a late build 96 with 95K miles and I haven't had any problems. My CV joints have about a 1mm of play (been that way for years). At last count, there were about 12 guys on here that have said they had bearing problems.

Dave
Old 05-05-2003 | 10:36 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

1st gear whine is normal in all Maximas. Mine's done it since the day I bought the car well over 4 years ago.

I've got a late build 96 with 95K miles and I haven't had any problems. My CV joints have about a 1mm of play (been that way for years). At last count, there were about 12 guys on here that have said they had bearing problems.

Every car will have it's quirks and typical problems. Name me ANY car and I'm certain I can come up with some typical and expensive that particular car has. Even the infamous and "bullet-proof" V6 Camry suffers from a oil/sludge problem which can be catastropihic.

Dave
Old 05-05-2003 | 11:19 AM

I've got a 96 that just turned 100K, no sign of problems. I don't know if it helps, but I'm using Redline MT-90 at almost 1 liter more than spec to keep the bearings immersed.
Old 05-05-2003 | 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
Every car will have it's quirks and typical problems. Name me ANY car and I'm certain I can come up with some typical and expensive that particular car has. Even the infamous and "bullet-proof" V6 Camry suffers from a oil/sludge problem which can be catastropihic.

Dave

Very good point, every car is going to have its flaws and no car is perfect. Thats good to know about 1st gear whine being normal too. So i will only listen for it in 2nd-5th gears then. I am not going to let the possibly prevent me from getting what i really want in my car...
Old 05-05-2003 | 12:58 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Very good point, every car is going to have its flaws and no car is perfect. Thats good to know about 1st gear whine being normal too. So i will only listen for it in 2nd-5th gears then. I am not going to let the possibly prevent me from getting what i really want in my car...
Yep, listen for any whine in 2nd and above. Make sure there's no grinding when shifting (doesn't seem to be a major problem with the Maxima). You can do a visual on the tranny also. With the car parked, crank the wheel to the left or right, turn it off, put into a gear, and set the E-brake. Reach in and grab the CV axles (you might have to get under the car a bit). The axles should move slightly or maybe not at all (1mm or less). Inspect where the axles goes into the tranny case. It should be dry. If it's wet with oil, you might be looking at bad bearings. Also inspect the CV boots for tears and fresh grease. A little buildup of scum near where the boot seals seems to be normal on the higher mileage CV axles (Nissan, Honda, etc). You need to be more concerned about tears and fresh grease.

Overall, repairs on a 4+ year old car are inevitable. The truth is the 4th gen Maxima is the best in it's class in terms of reliability (JD Power & Associates). Yes, it even ranks better than the "superior" higher resale Accord and Camry. Take a look at Consumer Reports and it will give you warm fuzzys about the reliability of this car.

Dave
Old 05-05-2003 | 03:06 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

does a bad bearing lead to vibrations while at a stop that u may feel through the break pedal, my car has 95k miles and is a '97 i am just curious if that would be an indicator of a bad bearing.... i have no whining in second or above ... i will listen more closely on the way home tonight to see if i do but am pretty sure i don't
Old 05-05-2003 | 05:48 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

does the sound sound like a plane taking off upon accell and decel?
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nismos14
does a bad bearing lead to vibrations while at a stop that u may feel through the break pedal, my car has 95k miles and is a '97 i am just curious if that would be an indicator of a bad bearing.... i have no whining in second or above ... i will listen more closely on the way home tonight to see if i do but am pretty sure i don't
my car only makes the whining noise in first and reverse.i have no vibrations whatsoever.its only my damn 5 speed tranny that is leaking fluid
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:28 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

first and reverse is normal for the whining
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:30 PM
Banned

first and reverse is normal for the whining
whats the leaking fluid from my tranny then? if you know then i would really like to know?
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:35 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i dunno lol sorry i just got my car 1 1/2 months ago
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:45 PM
I'm so hood

whats the leaking fluid from my tranny then? if you know then i would really like to know?
I forget off-hand but there's a more common tranny fluid leak than the diff bearings prob causes. Searchy

For the record, 102k 95 5-spd and no sign of bad bearings. If only I had the same praise about the oem clutch...been grumbling & vibrating around the release point since I got the car almost two years ago (I assume throwout bearing).

It may be a risk, but... (anything I'd say here, Dave already covered).
I'd suggest if you can, having an independent mechanic/shop you know or are familiar with do an inspection on any rides you're looking at, for peace of mind. We had a honda shop with a lot of personal history that would do inspections for free - good thing too, or else I might have been driving an apparently-problem-ridden 93 6-spd legend coupe instead of my max.
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:49 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

i had mine checked drove fine then..... and they agreed "no need for any more inspection" is what they told me... i guess tommorow we'll find out
Old 05-05-2003 | 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally posted by blizz20oma

I forget off-hand but there's a more common tranny fluid leak than the diff bearings prob causes. Searchy

For the record, 102k 95 5-spd and no sign of bad bearings. If only I had the same praise about the oem clutch...been grumbling & vibrating around the release point since I got the car almost two years ago (I assume throwout bearing).

It may be a risk, but... (anything I'd say here, Dave already covered).
I'd suggest if you can, having an independent mechanic/shop you know or are familiar with do an inspection on any rides you're looking at, for peace of mind. We had a honda shop with a lot of personal history that would do inspections for free - good thing too, or else I might have been driving an apparently-problem-ridden 93 6-spd legend coupe instead of my max.

do you know what the more common tranny fluid leak is so i dont replace something i dont need to? anyone? please
Old 05-05-2003 | 08:26 PM

I should clarify;

Gear whine in 1st gear is normal when decelerating in 1st gear, and in reverse.

When accelerating in 1st, that's the initial sign that your bearings are going. Then later you hear it in 2nd etc.

DW
Old 05-05-2003 | 08:41 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

I should clarify;

Gear whine in 1st gear is normal when decelerating in 1st gear, and in reverse.

When accelerating in 1st, that's the initial sign that your bearings are going. Then later you hear it in 2nd etc.

DW

oh ****.. yeah then my bearings are going! ahhhhh
Old 05-05-2003 | 09:07 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I've had 1st gear during acceleration since I bought the car in February of 1999. The whine is more pronounced with my 17s on. Believe me, whine in 1st gear, even during acceleration is normal.

As for tranny leaks, a common place for a leak is around the reverse indicator switch on the lower part of the tranny. You'll see a small wiring harness and a black piece of plastic under the tranny. That's the switch.

Dave
Old 05-06-2003 | 05:10 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

how do i know FOR SURE that my bearings are going? i have a warranty i bought that covers my tranny, expires in a few weeks, i need to know asap!!!!!
Old 05-06-2003 | 06:00 AM
Jedi Knight

When I bought my 5speed, I also got it with a warranty on the drive train. The day I signed the papers and paid for it, I noticed a whine in the tranny whenever in neutral..I complained about it...and went back 2 weeks later to complain some more..it was all documented. Well 2 weeks after my warranty expired the tranny bit the big one...the gears broke apart, input shaft was done, and so was the diff. bearing. Because of the documentation that I had recieved they fixed it with my cost only being the $100 deductable and price for a new clutch and resurfaced flywheel. I got a new tranny for under $500....just document everything
Old 05-06-2003 | 10:24 AM

Somoene on the org predicted mine would go bad at about 100-110K miles, which it did. He knew because his bearings went right about the same time. You watch. Those bearings of your are going. You shouldn't hear whining at all in 1st gear while accelerating. I predict the same 100-110K mile full diagnonsis for yours. The thing with bearings going bad, it's like smoking cigarettes: they'll kill you, but do it very very slowly. Bearings go bad slowly, too.

DW

Originally posted by Dave B
I've had 1st gear during acceleration since I bought the car in February of 1999. The whine is more pronounced with my 17s on. Believe me, whine in 1st gear, even during acceleration is normal.

As for tranny leaks, a common place for a leak is around the reverse indicator switch on the lower part of the tranny. You'll see a small wiring harness and a black piece of plastic under the tranny. That's the switch.

Dave
Old 05-06-2003 | 10:28 AM
Banned

Somoene on the org predicted mine would go bad at about 100-110K miles, which it did. He knew because his bearings went right about the same time. You watch. Those bearings of your are going. You shouldn't hear whining at all in 1st gear while accelerating. I predict the same 100-110K mile full diagnonsis for yours. The thing with bearings going bad, it's like smoking cigarettes: they'll kill you, but do it very very slowly. Bearings go bad slowly, too.

DW

i have 73,000 miles and mine is goin now.i have whining noise in 1st and reverse.also my tranny is leaking on the opposite side of where you refill it.i wish i could be more specific.
Old 05-06-2003 | 06:53 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

what happens if u dont get this problem fixed?
Old 05-06-2003 | 10:35 PM

You can just keep driving the car. The bearing noise will travel up in the gears, you'll hear it in 2nd gear, then eventually 3rd, etc. The noise will travel up the gears and get louder as time goes on. If you plan on completely replacing the tranny with another used one, then drive it until you can't stand it. But if you plane to re-build your sick tranny with replaced bearings, I suggest you get it to a shop sooner rather than later.

DW

what happens if u dont get this problem fixed?