4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What Makes A Decent Paint Job?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 PM
DoGGy

What Makes A Decent Paint Job?

hey there guys, I was just wondering what makes a decent paint job on a car. quality of paint? number of layers? what else? thx

Old 05-06-2003, 09:06 AM
DoGGy

anything at all would be good

Old 05-06-2003, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by DoGGy
anything at all would be good
Who you take it to to get it painted.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd
Who you take it to to get it painted.
BINGO!

It's all in the prep work and a nice clean spray booth.

A good paint job will involve taking off every single piece of trim and molding on your car. The grill, every single light, emblem, door handles, lock cylinders..... and the list goes on and on.

Next comes good prep work of your old paint and then the masking so you have no tape lines and overspray in your jams.

Expect to pay upwards of 2 - 3 thousand bucks to have your car refinished so it looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

It's all labor, the paint & material cost is minimal.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:26 AM

Yeah...... Great prep work is one of the biggest things in a paintjob..... Also having high quality paint and a tech who knows the ins and outs of good work......

One word of advice is to NEVER EVER take your car to a place like Macco...... Spend the extra cash and have it done right the first time.....
Old 05-06-2003, 11:48 AM
pMB

Maaco does pretty decent job.

I had the cheapest paint they had and it stands up good.
Spend $650 in Maaco, and the paint quality will equal the body shop paint job.

These body shops use the same paint, same mechanics, and same procedure...and charge 3X times or more.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by pMB
Maaco does pretty decent job.

I had the cheapest paint they had and it stands up good.
Spend $650 in Maaco, and the paint quality will equal the body shop paint job.

These body shops use the same paint, same mechanics, and same procedure...and charge 3X times or more.

Maaxo is a chop shop. They don't remove anything, they just mask it all off. Sure the paint looks good, wait about 2 years till all the tape lines start to peal. The clear coat will start to peal first, then the base coat will start to fade.

Sure Maaco uses the same paint as most high end shops. There are only a few automotive paint mfg's to choose from.

We can spot Maaco work just by looking at any trim piece or gasket on your car. You can clearly see the paint/tape lines.
Paint lines WILL FAIL and your paint WILL PEAL OFF starting at the lines.

That is a fact. You get what you pay for. Maaco runs their operation like an assembly line. One guy tapes up your car, the next guy paints it, then it's out the door with fresh shinny paint on it. Ask them for a lifetime guarantee.

We guarantee our paint work for as long as you own your vehicle, most body shops do as well, because when it's done right, it will last the life of your car.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:11 PM

I think Maaco's warranty is 30 seconds or 30 feet...... which ever comes first..... lol
on Maaco
Old 05-06-2003, 12:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Maaxo is a chop shop. They don't remove anything, they just mask it all off. Sure the paint looks good, wait about 2 years till all the tape lines start to peal. The clear coat will start to peal first, then the base coat will start to fade.

Sure Maaco uses the same paint as most high end shops. There are only a few automotive paint mfg's to choose from.

We can spot Maaco work just by looking at any trim piece or gasket on your car. You can clearly see the paint/tape lines.

That is a fact. You get what you pay for. Maaco runs their operation like an assembly line. One guy tapes up your car, the next guy paints it, then it's out the door with fresh shinny paint on it. Ask them for a lifetime guarantee.

We guarantee our paint work for as long as you own your vehicle, most body shops do as well, because when it's done right, it will last the life of your car.
Admit it...

You're just jealous that he only paid 650 for his paint job.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Entropy

Admit it...

You're just jealous that he only paid 650 for his paint job.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:06 PM
"I'm running with scissors!"

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

at maaco you get what u pay for. yeah they do cheap paint jobs but they also do half *** work. i am an auto body tech so i have idea what i'm talking about. also you can get really good paint jobs from maaco but you also have to pay a good amount of $$$. with paint jobs you get what you pay for.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:32 PM

[i]Originally posted by njmaxseltd

We guarantee our paint work for as long as you own your vehicle, most body shops do as well, because when it's done right, it will last the life of your car. [/B]
What do you mean by "We" ? You know a shop?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:47 PM
DoGGy

Ive been offered for $500 bux for a full super black paint job done in 1 day by a PRIVATE mechanic shop. not sure if he gonna remove the bumpers and all that stuff but sounded like he will do a good job. now is it 500 bux cuz he wont do a good job or its 500 bux cuz its private mechanic, not a company like maaco?

Old 05-06-2003, 02:33 PM

i was planning on goin to macco cause im broke... what do you mean by tape lines???
Old 05-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95GreekMaxSE
i was planning on goin to macco cause im broke... what do you mean by tape lines???
If you "mask" everything (i.e. Use masking tape to mask off windows, etc...) then there is going to be a line where the new paint and old paint meet where the edge of the paint is.

If you do it right, the trim piece is removed temporarily and there is a transission from the new paint to the old paint that happens in the recesses of the removed trim pieces...

Another words... it is a cleaner job.

If there are masking/paint lines, then eventually they will start to peal.
Old 05-06-2003, 03:58 PM

im sorry but what is maaco?
Old 05-06-2003, 04:33 PM

maaco is a cheap chain of auto body/paint shops. unless you can convince them to remove your moldings and trim, your paint will start to peal and fade. my friend had his camaro painted by them and less than 2 years later it looked as bad as it did before the paint job. when i took my car to the body shop yesterday, i had the guy go over everything he was going to do... (ie take off the trim on the door, windows, take out the door handle assembly, etc...). like mentioned before, the prep work that goes into it make all the difference in the world.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by JMAXIMA
maaco is a cheap chain of auto body/paint shops. unless you can convince them to remove your moldings and trim, your paint will start to peal and fade. my friend had his camaro painted by them and less than 2 years later it looked as bad as it did before the paint job. when i took my car to the body shop yesterday, i had the guy go over everything he was going to do... (ie take off the trim on the door, windows, take out the door handle assembly, etc...). like mentioned before, the prep work that goes into it make all the difference in the world.

do they do body work ?
Old 05-06-2003, 05:39 PM

Yeah they do body work, I had maaco cut and weld two rusty spots on the back fenders of my Accord, they did a good job grinding them down so you couldn't see it but I agree that the paint job was pretty poor. They forgot to mask a part of the taillight so it had black paint on it....
Old 05-06-2003, 05:50 PM
"I'm running with scissors!"

Originally posted by Eric95se
Yeah they do body work, I had maaco cut and weld two rusty spots on the back fenders of my Accord, they did a good job grinding them down so you couldn't see it but I agree that the paint job was pretty poor. They forgot to mask a part of the taillight so it had black paint on it....
maaco will do awesome paint jobs but it will be just as expensive as getting done at any other body shop. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH PAINT JOBS!!!! STOP KICKING A DEAD HORSE
Old 05-06-2003, 05:54 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

Originally posted by mayhemI30

STOP KICKING A DEAD HORSE