4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Maxima moment

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2003, 09:43 PM

A Maxima moment

As some of you may have read, I was interested in those intivenus type fuel system cleaners. I had gone around to a few different shops to inquire abou them, and believe it or not, 2 of the three shops I went to said I didn't need it on a 99 car with 38k on it. Well yesterday, I broke down and had it done on my max. While I was having it done, I expected to see some nasty **** fly our of my tailpipe but just a little white smoke came out durring the first half af the bottle that dripped in. What DID come out the tailpipe was a horrible stench. The guy said that was th carbon exiting the system. Anyway,after I had it done, the car really did not feel that much smoother or quicker. but TODAY, I guess after burning the last little bit of the solution out, the car has taken on a whole new personality. So much so, that after dropping off my girlfriend tonight I had to take it on the highway for a joyride. WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! I never knew that the max was this much fun to drive. The car pulls like a run away train! I can't get over the difference- and my car is all stock. These have got to be the finest 190 HP around. I can't imagine an 03 with 255HP! Before when I would floor it, I would watch the tach rise to about 6000, now when I floor it, the tach flies to 6000, and much smoother by the way. I'm gald I had this done. I think I will do this procedure about once a year. Who knows, naybe the previous owner did not use 93 and the engine was dirty or whatever, all that I know is that now, I could not be happier with the power and responsiveness of my stock engine. What a car!
Old 05-04-2003, 09:59 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Best v6 engine ever made... and everyone knows it! I love mine, I dont know what I would want if I had to give my car up.

Old 05-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

people in cali only have 91 gas unless you put in boosters
Old 05-05-2003, 12:54 AM

what type of cleaning is this? I never heard of something being dripped into the fuel system. I assume this is different than the regular fuel additives you pour in your gas tank. Also, how much does it cost for this procedure?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:59 AM

yeah, how about some more info about it....where to go, what is costs, etc.
Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 AM

the guy at the midas has this treatment but I dont know if its the same you just had. Its like they add something to the intake vacuume line then something in the fuel tank and engine then they run the car and it supposed to clear out all the carbon and junk. so what was the cost for it? I just remember that it was expensive and didnt think I needed it with only 40k.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:39 AM
be the change u want2C

Re: A Maxima moment

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
As some of you may have read, I was interested in those intivenus type fuel system cleaners. I had gone around to a few different shops to inquire abou them, and believe it or not, 2 of the three shops I went to said I didn't need it on a 99 car with 38k on it. Well yesterday, I broke down and had it done on my max. While I was having it done, I expected to see some nasty **** fly our of my tailpipe but just a little white smoke came out durring the first half af the bottle that dripped in. What DID come out the tailpipe was a horrible stench. The guy said that was th carbon exiting the system. Anyway,after I had it done, the car really did not feel that much smoother or quicker. but TODAY, I guess after burning the last little bit of the solution out, the car has taken on a whole new personality. So much so, that after dropping off my girlfriend tonight I had to take it on the highway for a joyride. WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO! I never knew that the max was this much fun to drive. The car pulls like a run away train! I can't get over the difference- and my car is all stock. These have got to be the finest 190 HP around. I can't imagine an 03 with 255HP! Before when I would floor it, I would watch the tach rise to about 6000, now when I floor it, the tach flies to 6000, and much smoother by the way. I'm gald I had this done. I think I will do this procedure about once a year. Who knows, naybe the previous owner did not use 93 and the engine was dirty or whatever, all that I know is that now, I could not be happier with the power and responsiveness of my stock engine. What a car!

What cleaner did you use and were did you get it from
Old 05-05-2003, 06:56 AM

It was called JB fuel system cleaner Not (BG), I had it done at Plaza Lube on Flatbush Ave here in Brooklyn. it was 50 bucks. Other people thought it wasnt needed with my 38k too, but it sure as hell made a difference. I'm glad I did it. it is exactly what Nismo said it was. three cans- one for the gas tank, one for the crank, and one bottle dripped in over a period of about 20 min through the vacume line. good stuff.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Bottle of Techron in the tank = $10 bucks.
Run 1/2 can of TB cleaner through while the car is running. It's tricky, but possible. You get the same results as the JB cleaner. The intake system is deep cleaned right down to the intake valves. Cleaning the TB by wiping it makes a difference in throttle response, but cleaning it this way makes a huge difference in throttle response and restores power.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Run 1/2 can of TB cleaner through while the car is running. It's tricky, but possible. You get the same results as the JB cleaner. The intake system is deep cleaned right down to the intake valves. Cleaning the TB by wiping it makes a difference in throttle response, but cleaning it this way makes a huge difference in throttle response and restores power.
thats not harmful to the engine? :P
Old 05-05-2003, 08:09 AM

After I cleaned my TB and reassembled everything, I peeled back the top of the accordian hose that leads to the TB just enough so I could slide the straw-like tube from the can of Throttle Body cleaner into it. I started the car and began to spray. You have to continuously blip the throttle with your finger, or even hold it open by a very small amount or else the engine will stall. I did this for about 8-10minutes. I then had someone else spray and control the throttle while i looked at the tail pipe. Nothing came out of it except drops of water. The muffler was sputtering and bouncing around, but no colored smoke. I kept spraying until about 1/4 of the can was used. I didn't notice as much difference in the way the car ran as when i cleaned JUST the TB. I think I'll do it again and use about 1/2 the can this time. Make sure the engine is hot when you do this.

Is Techron the best fuel system cleaner to use? I've been thinking of doing this when I do a full tune up around 95k or 100k miles (bought the car with 87k miles and don't know what was done previously, but plugs were good).
Old 05-05-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I've actually done this on my old Chevy V8 with carb cleaner and water. Clean the carb first then drip a little water inside while its hot and running helps to steam and burn carbon deposits off the heads.

I may try this on the Max though (48,000 miles).
Old 05-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by MdMaxDrvr

I've actually done this on my old Chevy V8 with carb cleaner and water. Clean the carb first then drip a little water inside while its hot and running helps to steam and burn carbon deposits off the heads.

I may try this on the Max though (48,000 miles).
isnt water harmful to the engine? hydrolocking??
Old 05-05-2003, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by Jung Ahn

isnt water harmful to the engine? hydrolocking??
Yes, thats why I 'dripped a little' water into it. If you dumped water into it, yes, it would probably lock. I used a little and didn't have any problems. I'm not recommending anyone do it, just stating what I have done in the past. I wouldn't do it to the Max either, but I'd still do it on my V8. I had some nice black and grey smoke come out last time I did it (a few years ago).

I may try this with the TB cleaner on the Max.
Old 05-05-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by MdMaxDrvr

Yes, thats why I 'dripped a little' water into it. If you dumped water into it, yes, it would probably lock. I used a little and didn't have any problems. I'm not recommending anyone do it, just stating what I have done in the past. I wouldn't do it to the Max either, but I'd still do it on my V8. I had some nice black and grey smoke come out last time I did it (a few years ago).

I may try this with the TB cleaner on the Max.
I want to do this but too much TB cleaner in it would blow up or anything or kill the engine right? :P
Old 05-05-2003, 11:36 AM

i always taught that adding any additives to the car would not work and harm it , such as fuel cleaners, oil, engine treatments , so many things on market hard to know if they would work or mess up car

if it really makes that much of a difference i would like to give that place a shot
FormorAccordMan
do you have the # for the place u went to , i would like to try and go this weekend
Old 05-06-2003, 07:40 AM

I don't think you ahve to drive all the way to brooklyn from queens to have this done. I don't have their number on me at the moment, but the place is called PLAZA LUBE, its two blocks from Kings Plaza.