4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What are the Greddy SP and Apexi WS catbacks made from?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 11:40 AM

What are the Greddy SP and Apexi WS catbacks made from?

I have heard from some sources that they are all stainlees steel, and from others that only the mufflers are stainless steel and the B-pipes are aluminized steel. So which is it? I have also heard of problems with the Greddy B-pipe rusting, does the Apexi have rusting problems as well?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:31 PM

All that information and more:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...MaximaCatbacks
Old 05-05-2003, 12:36 PM

I know, i was the one who wrote the descritions for most of the catbacks on that page. Notice how under the Greddy and Apexi catbacks it says "B-pipe MAY be made out of aluminzed steel" Thats one of the reasons i am trying to find out..
Old 05-05-2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Smithdogg1
I know, i was the one who wrote the descritions for most of the catbacks on that page. Notice how under the Greddy and Apexi catbacks it says "B-pipe MAY be made out of aluminzed steel" Thats one of the reasons i am trying to find out..
Ooops sorry I didn't check the thread author when I posted it. Man I must be asleep. Guess its time to wake up for real this time.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:57 PM

man drew thats one of the nicest maxes ive ever seen
Old 05-05-2003, 01:00 PM

the greddy and apexi both have aluminized b piping. however, they're quoted to protect against rust as they like to put it. only the mufflers are stainless steel and nothing else.

but everything rusts. even full stainless steel systems. ever notice how oem exhaust systems usually last upto 5-6+ years with no coating and just aluminized steel. the stainless steel systems are mostly hype and not necessary.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:04 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by bgod
the greddy and apexi both have aluminized b piping. however, they're quoted to protect against rust as they like to put it. only the mufflers are stainless steel and nothing else.

but everything rusts. even full stainless steel systems. ever notice how oem exhaust systems usually last upto 5-6+ years with no coating and just aluminized steel. the stainless steel systems are mostly hype and not necessary.
Im sorry to tell you but a good grade of stainless will never rust, how many people have rusty kichen sinks? The problem is these companys are useing the worst quality SS they can get there hands on , you have to relize you have different grades of stainless , when you get in the 400's grade your getting ****. Its magnetic ,great stainless is NOT magnetic . Companys sell ther product and say "stainless steel" the quaility of exausts for hondas is great they have full exausts non magnetic that are around the same price as the **** thats made for our car.I have the greddy the b-pipe,it rotted of my car. Its mild steel,it loves to rust.Now the muffler is mostly good quality stainless but its still not all nonmagnetic.Remember magnetic means it has high iron content which makes lots of rust. 304 SS is not magnetic try to find a maxima exaust thats all or mostly 304SS, when you do ill buy it. Think why would a exaust company not want your exaust to last, so you can buy another.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:24 PM

the stainless steel that is offered by exhaust companies are common throughout the market. they of course need to buy stainless steel which will keep their product within a certain price range. i am speaking of this stainless steel which rusts and not the stainless steel you see being used in $200+ kitchen knife sets.

i've seen plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems rust from supras, hondas, toyotas, nissans. rust is apart of the game.

i ran a greddy sp on my older accord for 4+ years with no problems until i changed out to my apexi ws for about 2 years. at the 2 year mark had absolutely no problems. both did however have signs of rust which is common in almost all aftermarket exhausts systems whether stainless or aluminized steel.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by bgod
the stainless steel that is offered by exhaust companies are common throughout the market. they of course need to buy stainless steel which will keep their product within a certain price range. i am speaking of this stainless steel which rusts and not the stainless steel you see being used in $200+ kitchen knife sets.

i've seen plenty of aftermarket exhaust systems rust from supras, hondas, toyotas, nissans. rust is apart of the game.

i ran a greddy sp on my older accord for 4+ years with no problems until i changed out to my apexi ws for about 2 years. at the 2 year mark had absolutely no problems. both did however have signs of rust which is common in almost all aftermarket exhausts systems whether stainless or aluminized steel.
Yes but did you know that those other cars you mentioned you can get kichen sink stainless exausts or titanium i would pay for it where is the logic in replacing something every 2-3 years lets see if i keep my car till the day i die . thats alot of money ,ive already spent $1500 on catbacks. Like i said every exaust piece for are cars is made with cheap material. Well if your one of those people who will keep their max for a few years then dont worry about it,but i have a frind whose had the same chevelle for almost 30 years, my max is my chevelle
Old 05-06-2003, 06:33 AM

you're missing my point entirely. not many people are willing to pay for the price of that kitchen stainless grade or titanium exhausts. yes, you can get these types of exhausts for hondas, supras, etc. but they also cost an arm and a leg.

the common stainless steel grade used in most of the entire aftermarket for exhausts systems and such will also rust. these are the most widely offered products to most cars which is really the point of this post.
Old 05-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Question: Is aluminized really that much lighter than SS.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:46 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally posted by I30tMikeD
Question: Is aluminized really that much lighter than SS.
Its not lighter at all, its probably heavier, when they say aluminized its kind of like a anodized coating on the metal. So the bad materials they used can sound better in a sentence "aluminized mild steel"
And another thing thats funny my friend just got a totally stainless exhaust (kichen sink material) for his delsol cost $5xx . My point earler was that other cars get better exhaust for cheaper, he told me he could of got a fully titanium for about $750 thats a permanent exhaust . These companys making are exhaust know that they have cash cows in us