4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spec Setting For Throttle Cable

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 02:45 PM

Spec Setting For Throttle Cable

Can anyone tell me what the appropriate throttle cable setting is for a 99 maxima. I would like to do this myself. My entire cable has been replaced by a non-nissan dealer and I don't think the proper setting has been set. While my car is running, and as I try to accelerate for example - and try to pass in a lane, it seems that there is a delay or lack of throttle response and the pedal feels real stiff instead of being responsive. I more or less have to floor the pedal to get a response. Besides this, the pedal doesn't feel smooth - and tight - it feels loose giving me a vibration feel as I try to accelerate. Can someone clarify if what is happening is due to a "not in spec cable" and what is the "in spec setting" in "inches" so I can do it myself. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Just snug it up. Leave just a little slack so you make sure you always come back to the throttle stop. To tight and you'll hang on the cable and your idle will rise up.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:55 AM

What do you think?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Just snug it up. Leave just a little slack so you make sure you always come back to the throttle stop. To tight and you'll hang on the cable and your idle will rise up.
So do you think what I am feeling is due to the cable being too tight?
ex. of what I am feeling -(The stiffness in the pedal at highway speeds and just to get throttle response I have to push the pedal to the floor as well as the unsmooth - vibration feeling I get?) I just want these two problems to go away.

p.s.-Ive gotten a throttle service done already, spark plugs, fuel filter. Do you think it may be a bad throttle position sensor? Do they ever go bad and are the symptoms of a bad TPC what I am experiencing? I am not getting any code though. The problems seem to happen intermittently but more often lately. Thanks.