4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

$1750 dollars for water pump, radiator, and hoses!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$1750 dollars for water pump, radiator, and hoses!!!

I got under the car today to put more header wrap on my y-pipe and noticed some coolant coming down from around the belts and pulleys. It was coming from above the front of my oil pan. I went to the Nissan Dealer and they did a pressure test. They found that my water pump was leaking(source of the coolant I noticed), my radiator was leaking, and my heater hoses were leaking, and they also suggested I change my radiator hoses. All this for the amazing price of $1,750 hundred dollars, OUCH! The price for the water pump installed is about $725, new radiator $500 dollars and $682 installed, all hoses installed $337 dollars. I want to tackle the radiator and all the hoses myself, but I am not sure about the water pump. To me these prices seem high, what do you all think? The only place that was leaking was the water pump, that is until the pressure leak test. I will buy a manual later today. Which one is better Chiltons or Haynes? One thing, I was the one that had to tell them about the water pump leak(I did not know that it was this at the time though), I pointed it out to them. They told me about all the other leaks that I did not notice, and then I asked where the water was coming from on the one leak I saw, that's when the tech said "oh, that's from your water pump". Any suggestions or if you could point me to some good writeups on any of this issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:18 PM

If anybody know's of any good shops here in San Diego California that do not charge an arm and a leg, I would be very thankful.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I find it hard to believe that everything in your cooling system suddenly needs to be replaced.

Get a second opinion.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I find it hard to believe that everything in your cooling system suddenly needs to be replaced.

Get a second opinion.
I was kind of thinking the same thing, until I saw the fluid coming from both the top of the radiator and the heater hoses. I know the water pump needs to be replaced because of where that leak is. I guess that if the pressure is high enough during that leak test that it can make it leak from different areas, right? I will definately get another opinion, and if I can't do the water pump myself I will pay one of the smaller shops to do it. Thanks for replying.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:15 PM

Damn that sucks, i agree you should get a second opinion, dealerships always charge an arm and a leg. talk to your friends/associates to find a reputable mechanic.

its my understanding the water pump is a ***** to replace

good luck
Old 05-10-2003, 05:33 PM

I just had the same problem, except my car was overheating before i noticed the leak. Moral of the story its a pretty hard job to fix the water pump took me about 7 hours and theres alot you can mess up. If you have ***** and some time do it yourself. If your smart (not like me) and ball-less pay SOMEONE ELSE to do i. I got a quote of $250 labor to do it, and its $50 bucks for the pump at autozone.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:34 PM

P.S. If you pay someone $337 to replace your hoses (i think its 3 hoses) i'll personally come there and smack you =)
Old 05-10-2003, 05:49 PM

You can do the hoses and radiator yourself. The water pump, you'd best find a mechanic to do it. It's one of the toughest jobs on a maxima to do.

As to all your leaks, what do you think caused them? Not changing your hoses regularly? Running pure anti-freeze, not diluted with water?

DW
Old 05-10-2003, 07:23 PM

When your water pump goes bad coolant wells up near it and flows out of "weep holes" near the pump thus the leak. Yeah i'd def. go with a mec, but not the dealership i hate those guys their morons or at least the guys at mine are. Example...How can a timing chain be to tight....it can't btw, and at loose chain sounds and feels nothing like a tight chain, but somehow nissan confused the 2.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:09 PM

Thanks for your fast replies. I went to Pepboys and they quoted me a little over $400 for the pump and installation. I will get the radiator at Kragen's for $175 and the hoses as well, I will install this stuff myself. The water pump I will call a couple of other places to see if I can get a better deal to get it installed. I just went to Pepboys because they were open today. Has anybody had any work done there? As far as all the leaks, I only had the water pump one, and the pressure test I guess uncovered the other ones, I guess it was my unlucky day. I had a flush done a while back and that was done at the dealer. I keep up with all of my schedules for the Max, and I have had the belts replaced as well as some of the hoses when it was brought to my attention by the stealer, sorry dealer. Thanks again for the suggestions, I will leave the water pump for the mechanic.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:42 PM

Keep in mind:

When the water pump is changed, your motor oil and anti freeze tend to mix. The water pump is bathed in oil on one side and anti-freeze on the other. So you have to do an oil change as well as anti freeze change. Then, when you do the hoses and radiator, you lose alot of anti-freeze, so you pretty much have to change the anti freeze again.

So, since there's so much anti freeze changing going on, have the mechanic do the water pump first, then you can DIY your radiator and hoses and put in your own anti-freeze later.

DW
Old 05-10-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi

So, since there's so much anti freeze changing going on, have the mechanic do the water pump first, then you can DIY your radiator and hoses and put in your own anti-freeze later.

DW

Sounds good. I was wondering about the order. I will probably drop my car off on Tuesday and do the radiator, hoses, and oil change that evening. Thanks for the heads up, I did not know about the oil change.