4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sprint lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 09:48 PM

Sprint lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks?

I have sprint lowering springs and my car bounces so bad its not even funny and when i make sharp turns at higher speeds it feels like the wheel is gonna fall off. So i recently purchused KYB AGX shocks and struts and i was wondering will this improve my ride and will my cart stop bouncing as much.....
Old 05-15-2003, 10:11 PM

Re: Sprint lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks?

yes
Old 05-16-2003, 12:00 AM

Re: Re: Sprint lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks?

Originally posted by oldNickBroken
yes

yes
Old 05-16-2003, 12:16 AM

you will notice a world of difference. Your struts that you were running on before were probably blown or close to their death.

let us know how you enjoy your new struts.

Old 05-16-2003, 05:14 AM

YES, Then you have to adjust the front as 1 and the rear 2 .........Ride like stock
Old 05-16-2003, 05:25 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get rid of the Sprints, they ride like crap no matter what shock you couple them with.

Sprints = all show / no go, they sit to low for the Maxima suspension.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have maxspeeds with kyb agx's. I currently use a 2/4 setup here in NYC. The ride is firmer than stock and great for whiping around turns. I initially had them set on 3 and 7 after the initial installation. Almost lost my lunch driving home from the garage.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:05 AM

how do u tell if the struts are going bad or getting weak? Seems like on my 97 SE the pushing up and down on the bumper test doesnt seem to work cause it still doesnt bounce even once but i feel like the ride has gotten a lot more smoother compared to when i had first bought the car when the ride was stiff and i was able to feel every single thing i drove over.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:09 AM

What setting is the best? 1/2? 2/4? i used to run 2/4 with maxspeeds but after i put sprint on im running 1/2 and recently my rear driverside strut blew...

Tae
Old 05-16-2003, 09:41 AM
aka UNCDooD

I have this setup and absolutely love it. I have the fronts set at 3 and the rear at 7. I love the ride. Not as smooth as before but it feels more 'sporty'.
Old 05-16-2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Get rid of the Sprints, they ride like crap no matter what shock you couple them with.

Sprints = all show / no go, they sit to low for the Maxima suspension.
i'm going to have to disagree. i've had sprints for four months with AGX's and I have had nothing but a wide, wide smile on my face ever since. what makes it even wider is the look on the backseat passenger's faces
Old 05-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not everyone lives in NY/NJ area, I have installed lots of sprints and folks love them. I just installed sprints on a 2K3 maxima. Suspension has nothing to do with allgo , Sprints rule!! thats just the bottom line. Lots of folks dont like their maximas to look like nasty 4x4's on the road like me
Old 05-16-2003, 05:54 PM

Jay25, I don't think he really knows what he is talking about. Everyone with the exception of one person has been satisfied with their Sprints, including me. They are comfortable, and give the Maxima the perfect stance. The Maxima has a lot more travel than you think. H&R's aren't worth buying.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:45 PM

see the problem why he posts like that is because the roads are pretty bad where he lives, so I can see where hes coming from, but just cause the roads are bad up there doesnt mean, you have to discourage other members not to buy sprints. I attempted to get sprints when they first came out. I called all dealers in the US to ship me a set and they didnt have none. I am here to tell you they were out of stock for over 10 months and I could not get them at all so I cut my front intrax springs.

Also I am here to inform everyone that has sprints that someone here sold a member here in Atl some suspension that busted up his car which was the spring/AGX combo. Guy came to me for the install, I looked at the coils and the shocks and remembered someone saying all types of negative comments about the spring combo. After I installed it I personally took it for a ride, the car drove/rode just fine. Suspension was good to go. I am a 27 year old individual and I would not lie about that. Guy has not came back to me and he loves his sprint/AGX setup he bought a great cheap price.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:43 PM
pMB

You go, Jay25. I'm thinking Sprint/AGX also. Erik recommended, so I believe.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:03 PM
wat

Yeah, A friend of mine is putting on 17's and Sprints in a couple weeks, and he was wondering if KYB AGX shocks were really necessary. Hes got about 80k on his car, so im guessing the struts will die pretty quick. Where the cheapest place to buy KYB AGX shocks??
Old 05-16-2003, 09:38 PM
Custom User Title

I love the ride of the Sprints..feels like your in total control of the car. And you get used to the ride right away.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by BlueC
Yeah, A friend of mine is putting on 17's and Sprints in a couple weeks, and he was wondering if KYB AGX shocks were really necessary. Hes got about 80k on his car, so im guessing the struts will die pretty quick. Where the cheapest place to buy KYB AGX shocks??
cattman has a good price i think... but don't quote me on that. but anyway, AGX's are recommended for any drop more than 1.5" or so. they're much higher quality than some other struts, plus if you don't like the ride, just turn them down until you're happy.

JAY25, it's mostly not even bad roads. I live in Skokie and commute to Chicago and the outlying suburbs on a daily basis... these areas allegedly have some of the worst roads in the country, however, like I said, I love my sprints. it really comes down to a person's own preference. also, don't forget that a different wheel/tire combo will also make a big difference. I have 16" 2k1 GLE rims with a 55 sidewall tire, that goes a long way to smoothing the road out.
Old 05-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by ImStockBaby
I love the ride of the Sprints..feels like your in total control of the car. And you get used to the ride right away.
I have had sprints on two maxes, one on stocks and one on kybs. I love the way the max rides and rears are cut one coil, just turned up the stiffness and.....tada!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Originally posted by NightRider
Jay25, I don't think he really knows what he is talking about. Everyone with the exception of one person has been satisfied with their Sprints, including me. They are comfortable, and give the Maxima the perfect stance. The Maxima has a lot more travel than you think. H&R's aren't worth buying.

I wouldn't say he doesn't know what he is talking about...he has an opinion and everyone can agree or disagree with what he says...but he has become one of the more reliable people on this forum the past year and a half...
Old 05-18-2003, 02:09 PM

You guys are making me really glad that I'm getting the Sprints. I like all the good comments about them.
Kevin.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:17 PM

how much gap is there after settlign on a 5 speed with springs... in inches or centimenters.. everyone has different size fingers.. thanks..i looked at a billio pics alreayd with sprint drop..gaps all look different.. angle of pic changes ow it looks.. thanks..
Old 05-18-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Max Noob
how much gap is there after settlign on a 5 speed with springs... in inches or centimenters.. everyone has different size fingers.. thanks..i looked at a billio pics alreayd with sprint drop..gaps all look different.. angle of pic changes ow it looks.. thanks..
for my auto the gap is about 7/8th of an inch in the front and 1¼" in the back
Old 05-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by JAY25
see the problem why he posts like that is because the roads are pretty bad where he lives,
Umm yes and no. Where I'm at in Northern NJ the roads are fine.

Here's a few reasons why I don't like or would not recommend Sprint springs to anybody.

1) They drop the car to much up front which leaves basically no suspension travel. Fine for a smooth road, but a one inch or larger bump will knock the strut into an already trimmed bump stop and distroy the upper mount.

2) I've seen #1 happen to one of our members who promptly sold his Sprint springs. I've also seen them distroy CV joints because of the constant angle there on. Again the person this happend to promptly removed them.

3) I've installed the Sprint/AGX combo in 2 cars. I also removed them from both cars shortly after. I believe both guys went over to Eibachs becuase they couldn't take the harsh bouncy ride.

Sprint springs are not the best lowering spring out there for our cars. I'm glad some of you guys like them, thats cool. But believe me, they aren't for everybody and quite a few wind up taking them out and selling them.

Thats just my .02 and experiance with them.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Umm yes and no. Where I'm at in Northern NJ the roads are fine.

Here's a few reasons why I don't like or would not recommend Sprint springs to anybody.

1) They drop the car to much up front which leaves basically no suspension travel. Fine for a smooth road, but a one inch or larger bump will knock the strut into an already trimmed bump stop and distroy the upper mount.

2) I've seen #1 happen to one of our members who promptly sold his Sprint springs. I've also seen them distroy CV joints because of the constant angle there on. Again the person this happend to promptly removed them.

3) I've installed the Sprint/AGX combo in 2 cars. I also removed them from both cars shortly after. I believe both guys went over to Eibachs becuase they couldn't take the harsh bouncy ride.

Sprint springs are not the best lowering spring out there for our cars. I'm glad some of you guys like them, thats cool. But believe me, they aren't for everybody and quite a few wind up taking them out and selling them.

Thats just my .02 and experiance with them.
1. Sprint springs will not damage CV joints, they are not low enough to damage CV joints thats a myth. Why is it a myth, I lived in pothole country New Orleans, I ride my shocks 100% stiff on one front cut coil on my intrax which is more then that 2.0 front drop on a sprint and I am yet to see my axles go bad. Now if you drop the car below 2.2 you do run the risk of damaging the CV joints right along with the tranny, that yes.

2. The damaged Sprint/AGX combo that damaged that upper spring seat/hood and sold here on the org to a member here atlanta, I installed on a members car here. Ask him after I did the install has he had any problems with them? the answer is no. That shock had a significant sign on it, the top 17MM nut seemed to have came loose causing that damage.

3. I installed Sprint/AGX on many cars to exclude Maximas and peeps do not come back to uninstall them.

4. The sprint spring is a affordable and lets the car sit nice and low.

You are right this sprint/AGX combo is not for everyone if someone lives in bad area with lots of potholes and bumps, I would not recommend them.