4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 10:55 PM

thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

I'm thinking of putting chrome rings around my gauges, the thing is i'm not sure how hard it would be to remove the plastic covering, has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, I want to add some horsepower via an exhaust system. Is it worth it or should I just get the y-pipe? Also, how many horses can I expect to gain and how can I find out exactly how many my car has?

Another thing I need is a new shifter since mine is completely worn out, does anyone know where to get one for a maxima, I visited several car stores and didn't see anything I like?

any advice would be appreciated

-'97 5spd
Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 PM

I would say for HP, go for an intake of some sort, y-pipe and b-pipe. IF you want a loud exhaust, you could just do the catback. My exhaust isn't too loud, and I have a Frankencar intake with WPSPD y& b pipes. The b is resonated though!
Old 05-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

Originally posted by '97 5spd
I'm thinking of putting chrome rings around my gauges, the thing is i'm not sure how hard it would be to remove the plastic covering, has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, I want to add some horsepower via an exhaust system. Is it worth it or should I just get the y-pipe? Also, how many horses can I expect to gain and how can I find out exactly how many my car has?

Another thing I need is a new shifter since mine is completely worn out, does anyone know where to get one for a maxima, I visited several car stores and didn't see anything I like?

-'97 5spd
your car should have 190 hp / 205 lb-ft torque at the flywheel. the only way to find out exactly is to dyno it.

what do u mean your shifter is worn out? just the shift ****? there's lots of places online that sell them
Old 05-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

-'97 5spd
Installing the guage rins is not difficult, just have to be careful and not loose any of the clips. Took me about 45 min, and I am slow.

A Y-pipe is your exhuast system. Yes, a Y-pipe will give you twice the HP of a catback. It up to you, do you want looks and sound? Or just performance?

Just a helpfull hint before you start up-grading your car. It's better to do it right the first time. Finding a good deal is great, but remeber you get what you pay for. Trying to go the cheap route can sometimes be more expensive in the end. It's better to have a couple real quality mods than a bunch of half a$$ ones. Not saying this is how you are, just something I have learned along the way. It's never fun to redo or pay for the same mod twice.
Old 05-17-2003, 02:34 PM

Re: Re: thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

Originally posted by spiff56747

your car should have 190 hp / 205 lb-ft torque at the flywheel. the only way to find out exactly is to dyno it.

what do u mean your shifter is worn out? just the shift ****? there's lots of places online that sell them
Yea the shift **** itself, do you know where I can get that. I don't want a momo or anything like that, preferably as close to factory as possible

thanks

- '97 5spd
Old 05-17-2003, 02:37 PM

Re: Re: thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

Originally posted by I30tMikeD

Installing the guage rins is not difficult, just have to be careful and not loose any of the clips. Took me about 45 min, and I am slow.

A Y-pipe is your exhuast system. Yes, a Y-pipe will give you twice the HP of a catback. It up to you, do you want looks and sound? Or just performance?

Just a helpfull hint before you start up-grading your car. It's better to do it right the first time. Finding a good deal is great, but remeber you get what you pay for. Trying to go the cheap route can sometimes be more expensive in the end. It's better to have a couple real quality mods than a bunch of half a$$ ones. Not saying this is how you are, just something I have learned along the way. It's never fun to redo or pay for the same mod twice.
I prefer performance, with a slight hint of sound, (not like a civic though). Thanks for the advice, I aprreciate it, don't worry I didn't take it the wrong way. I also learned that the hard way on my other car.

thanks again

- '97 5spd
Old 05-17-2003, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: thinking os doing some mods, any advice.....

I prefer performance, with a slight hint of sound, (not like a civic though). Thanks for the advice, I aprreciate it, don't worry I didn't take it the wrong way. I also learned that the hard way on my other car.

thanks again

- '97 5spd
budget y-pipe is cheap and its really good, i highlt recommend it, not too loud at all
Old 05-17-2003, 06:04 PM

All the information about all the mods:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...aModifications
Old 05-17-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by drewm
All the information about all the mods:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...aModifications

Cracks me up everytime i see you put in that link. It should just be a sticky or something. I still work on the site often...