4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AGX struts adjust for rebound ONLY.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2003, 07:36 AM

AGX struts adjust for rebound ONLY.

What is being adjusted with the dials is REBOUND (extension). The ***** don't do much (anything) for COMPRESSION.

The front KYB's seem to be quite a bit stiffer in compression than the stockers. This isn't going to change much, regardless of how the shock is 'dialed'.

As the **** is adjusted to make the shocks stiffer, what is really being adjusted is the rebound, or how hard the shock extends, or seperates. THIS is what helps control the more aggressive springs. Without this extra rebound dampning, the springs spring back too quickly, and give the car a 'bouncy' feel.

If the car is feeling bouncy, turn the shocks up to a stiffer setting, and see how they feel.

I've got an AGX shock right in front of me, and just got finished working the piston up and down on various settings.

There is no significant difference is compression as the adjustment **** is turned, but the extension varies quite a bit.

No B.S., just a direct observation. If anyone else has some they've purchased sitting around, try em' out. From the above data, the dampening rate should more than double. This does not happen. I tested both front and rear shocks, and when putting all my weight on each one, it takes the same amount of time to fully compress each one on both the softest and stiffest settings. However, extension is a totally different story!

Most shocks that are 'single adjustable' are like this.

When the weight comes off, and the gas pressure works to extend the shock, it takes FOREVER to spring back all the way on the stiffest setting. As a matter of fact, I would turn the adjuster **** to the softest setting as it was coming up and watch the extension speed pick up big time.

The settings adjust rebound only. Turning them to stiff still reduces body roll... since is keeps the inside wheel from extending as fast.

But, don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

The time required to extend under the gas pressure varied drastically when the adjustment **** was turned, while the time required to compress did not.

In a nutshell, the stiff compression is going to make the car feel stiff. The variable rebound allows the struts to be dialed in for various spring rates. Stiff springs require stiff settings for a controlled ride. Without stiff rebound (extension) settings, stiff springs overpower the strut and 'bounce'.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2003, 07:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

You pushed the pistons in and out with your hands and called it "the above data"

Old 05-17-2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

You pushed the pistons in and out with your hands and called it "the above data"

at least he "cited" his references!

seriously though, thanks for pointing out something i didn't know.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:12 AM

You may mock the 'data' but there are valid points made.

I guess some would rather egotistically 'snub' those who aren't on here everyday, rather than accept what they have to say.

No, the 'data' wasn't all that quantitative, and wasn't taken through electronic measurement..... but that sort of thing wasn't necessary to make these general observations.

Rebound (extension) varied BIG TIME as the **** was turned, but compression had no significant change.

My $0.02
Old 05-17-2003, 09:54 PM

Thanx for the info
Old 05-17-2003, 10:27 PM

Actully this is the way springs and shock work.
A spring is there to pull the shock back out and bumps are what pushes it in.
You must have a hard down force to get the shock to pump in and pump out quicker.
So when you move it with your hands, You may think it only does rebound but it doesn't.
All shocks can be pushed in and out and feel the same and even get stiffer or softer.

So before you say stuff, get some facts.
Also if your car is bouncing then you actully have to tune to a lower level not low but medium for perfect balance with your shocks.
If it's too light then the car will bounce and if it's too hard then the car will ride very rough.

TT-You just got owned.
Old 05-17-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: AGX struts adjust for rebound ONLY.

Originally posted by n2oMike
What is being adjusted with the dials is REBOUND (extension). The ***** don't do much (anything) for COMPRESSION.

The front KYB's seem to be quite a bit stiffer in compression than the stockers. This isn't going to change much, regardless of how the shock is 'dialed'.

As the **** is adjusted to make the shocks stiffer, what is really being adjusted is the rebound, or how hard the shock extends, or seperates. THIS is what helps control the more aggressive springs. Without this extra rebound dampning, the springs spring back too quickly, and give the car a 'bouncy' feel.

If the car is feeling bouncy, turn the shocks up to a stiffer setting, and see how they feel.

I've got an AGX shock right in front of me, and just got finished working the piston up and down on various settings.

There is no significant difference is compression as the adjustment **** is turned, but the extension varies quite a bit.

No B.S., just a direct observation. If anyone else has some they've purchased sitting around, try em' out. From the above data, the dampening rate should more than double. This does not happen. I tested both front and rear shocks, and when putting all my weight on each one, it takes the same amount of time to fully compress each one on both the softest and stiffest settings. However, extension is a totally different story!

Most shocks that are 'single adjustable' are like this.

When the weight comes off, and the gas pressure works to extend the shock, it takes FOREVER to spring back all the way on the stiffest setting. As a matter of fact, I would turn the adjuster **** to the softest setting as it was coming up and watch the extension speed pick up big time.

The settings adjust rebound only. Turning them to stiff still reduces body roll... since is keeps the inside wheel from extending as fast.

But, don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

The time required to extend under the gas pressure varied drastically when the adjustment **** was turned, while the time required to compress did not.

In a nutshell, the stiff compression is going to make the car feel stiff. The variable rebound allows the struts to be dialed in for various spring rates. Stiff springs require stiff settings for a controlled ride. Without stiff rebound (extension) settings, stiff springs overpower the strut and 'bounce'.

Good Luck!
Good stuff.

Exactly the way the Koni Adjustable rears are. Compression is fixed, and rebound is controlled by the adjuster. The front Koni strut is a opposing compression/rebound settings, turn right for more compression damping, left for more rebound damping.

You mentioned a front shock, but was it the front one that you tested? I'd be interested in knowing if the rear obeys this pattern too. The information on my site about AGX was origionally from an email from a KYB person, so you can't be 100% sure it was right (he said compression and rebound were adjusted in the same direction with the ****). I'd like to see a spec sheet to confirm it.

Very good find, keep us updated.
Old 05-18-2003, 05:48 AM

Both front and rear exhibited the same behavior.

If anyone has access to a 'shock dyno' (yes, they do exist) more quantitative data can be obtained. These devices compress and extend the shock with a known force and/or speed, and the resistance and motion of the shock is graphed throughout it's travel. Anyone knowing some higher end racers or suspension tuners might be able to arrange something.

Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:22 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Both comperssion and rebound are changed when you adjust the AGX's. Go to KYB's web site and email them for more info. They will give you a spec sheet back if you ask for it. The specs show the change in both compression and rebound through the adjustment range. I believe Cattman once posted it on here someplace in comparason to the Koni inserts.

Once you review the "data" you will see how the adjustments effect the damping.

Funny how some hand forceometers are more accurate then others.

It's very easy to feel and see the change in the piston damping as you change the adjustment on KYB's. If you don't think rebound is changed, push the piston down and time how long it takes to fully extend at a setting of 1. Repeat that test with a setting of 4. It's a night and day difference that you can clearly see. Actually your going to have a pretty tough time getting the front AGX piston compressed with a setting of 4. Their rock hard.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

It's very easy to feel and see the change in the piston damping as you change the adjustment on KYB's. If you don't think rebound is changed, push the piston down and time how long it takes to fully extend at a setting of 1. Repeat that test with a setting of 4. It's a night and day difference that you can clearly see. Actually your going to have a pretty tough time getting the front AGX piston compressed with a setting of 4. Their rock hard.
That's what I said... REBOUND (extension) is what is adjusted with the ****. Compression does not seem to be affected. Turning the **** makes a drastic difference in how fast the shock extends. It makes no noticable difference in the rate at which it compresses.

These are observations made when putting all my weight on the struts/shocks under different settings to check compression, and using the gas pressure to see how long extension takes on various settings.

The COMPRESSION is awfully stiff regardless of setting. It's one reason they feel STIFF regardless of how they are dialed, but still bounce on the lower settings.

Unbiased shock dyno results would be nice. Often times, salesmen and manufacturers will tell you whatever you want to hear.

Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:25 AM

Interesting info n2oMike.

You're the second person who's observed this phenomenom with the AGX. My friend has the problem of wanting MORE compression dampening on a Miata, and he noted that there's not much compression adjustment, if any when you crank of the dial on the AGX. I have the AGX and have been thinking that they don't have quite enough rebound dampening (big bumps, big suspension travel), but didn't feel that I wanted at stiffer ride than what I have now (which is just about right with the MaxSpeed spring combo).

However, any tips on how to get the adjusters on the front struts to turn? No matter how hard I push down on them, they don't want to go in, so I can't turn them. When hitting high speed dips, I feel there isnt' enough rebound dampening and suspension action gets sloppy. Thanks.

-V
Old 05-18-2003, 02:45 PM

You don't push down very hard, or far at all. If you push down too hard, they won't move. Try turning them without depressing them much at all. It should move easily.

If the suspension feels bouncy, crank the dial stiffer. The increased rebound (extension) dampning will keep the spring from springing back too fast, and bouncing the car.

Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You don't push down very hard, or far at all. If you push down too hard, they won't move. Try turning them without depressing them much at all. It should move easily.

If the suspension feels bouncy, crank the dial stiffer. The increased rebound (extension) dampning will keep the spring from springing back too fast, and bouncing the car.

Good Luck!

Yeah...that's the one thing I hate about the AGX's...even when I set them to 1/2 on H&R's/Motivational Mounts they give you a slight bounce when going over even slight undulations in the road since the shock doesn't want to compress.

Why didn't they design the shock to be just as adjustable for compression as it is for rebound?
Old 05-18-2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by vmok

However, any tips on how to get the adjusters on the front struts to turn? No matter how hard I push down on them, they don't want to go in, so I can't turn them.
-V
The adjuster screws on my front AGX's push in very easily. Are you saying yours won't push in at all? You are using a small screwdriver (like the one that came with the shocks) right? It's just the small center screw that moves in. If it is pushed in too far, it doesn't want to turn... It just needs pushed in a little bit to change settings. Do BOTH front struts exhibit this behavior??? That would be odd.

Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by sidewinder740

Yeah...that's the one thing I hate about the AGX's...even when I set them to 1/2 on H&R's/Motivational Mounts they give you a slight bounce when going over even slight undulations in the road since the shock doesn't want to compress.

Why didn't they design the shock to be just as adjustable for compression as it is for rebound?
That would be ideal in the situation that someone would actually have a useful reason to adjust damping settings, but I'd say for the street, rebound adjustment is a lot more important than the compression setting. Having too stiff of a compression setting is bad for performance, so they probably decided to fix it at the ideal setting, and let you adjust rebound to control bounce based on the type of springs you have.

Many full coilover systems have seperate rebound and compression settings. But they cost quite a bit more. Koni also makes certain shocks with both also, but they only offer it for certain cars, probably due to their suspension nature of the adjustment actually being useful.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by drewm

That would be ideal in the situation that someone would actually have a useful reason to adjust damping settings, but I'd say for the street, rebound adjustment is a lot more important than the compression setting. Having too stiff of a compression setting is bad for performance, so they probably decided to fix it at the ideal setting, and let you adjust rebound to control bounce based on the type of springs you have.

Many full coilover systems have seperate rebound and compression settings. But they cost quite a bit more. Koni also makes certain shocks with both also, but they only offer it for certain cars, probably due to their suspension nature of the adjustment actually being useful.

Nice Max Drew!

So you think KYB was trying to cut the costs of the AGX's by not offering adjustment for compression?
Old 05-18-2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by sidewinder740

Nice Max Drew!

So you think KYB was trying to cut the costs of the AGX's by not offering adjustment for compression?
Nope, probably because 95% of people shouldn't need a different compression setting than the one KYB picked, rebound is a different story. And yes, it would save a little money.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:14 AM

The adjuster screws on my front AGX's push in very easily. Are you saying yours won't push in at all? You are using a small screwdriver (like the one that came with the shocks) right? It's just the small center screw that moves in. If it is pushed in too far, it doesn't want to turn... It just needs pushed in a little bit to change settings. Do BOTH front struts exhibit this behavior??? That would be odd.

Good Luck!
I agree with you that it would be odd for TWO to be bad. I got them in several months ago. I asked on the board back then, and people also responded by having me verify that I was pushing down on the adjuster. My adjuster won't turn left or right and won't push down either. I've tried pushing down quite hard, with the screwdriver they gave with the AGX and with others.

The thing that concerns me is that both of them are exhibiting the same behavior, and I don't think that I would have two bad ones. Well, I'm stuck on 2 right now, since I've gotten them, and do think I need slightly more rebound dampening (put them in with some MaxSpeed springs).

Thanks.

-V
Old 05-19-2003, 04:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: AGX struts adjust for rebound ONLY.

I didn't really belive this the first time you posted it but now I don't know. I have played with the adjustments and 3f/4r seems to give me the best ride so far. When 2 felt harsh I never thought to go higher. I haven't tried 4 in the front yet but maybe I will.

I wonder if the shocks or springs have to 'break in' or something. My H&R/AGX definatly seems to ride better now than when I first had them installed a few months ago. I don't think I am just getting used to them.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Got a response back from KYB Corp.

KYB Corp promptly answered my inquiry as to adjustments on their AGX Product line. They also explained why both compression and rebound needs to be changed and kept relative to each other in order to prevent the cars suspension from rising or pulling the car downward leading to a possible bottoming of the vehicle. I'll just copy and past the important stuff for all to see. Most of us have already see the value changes posted on here before.

I scanned the actual word document they sent me, but cardomain is down and I can't upload it! I'll place the answer to this thread in bold for n2oMike to see.

Perhaps n2oMike should visit the site and request the proper information before posting wrong information about the KYB AGX Product.

Here's the response I got:

KYB TECHNICAL TIP # 2002-06
DATED: November 20,2002
TITLE: AGX Adjustment Definition
QUESTION / PROBLEM:

What are the adjustment settings for AGX products?

ANSWER / RESPONSE:
The AGX products have the following approximate damping force values.
When adjusted, both rebound and compression damping forces change.

Setting#: Relative Value
1 - Same as Factory
2 - Same as our GR2 products (10~15% firmer than Factory)
3 - 50% firmer than #2
4 - 30% firmer than #3

For an eight position adjustable product, the damping force values are approx. the following:

With #2 being Factory at a relative value of 100

#1 = 95 (5% softer than Factory
#2 = 100 (Factory damping force)
#3 = 107.5 (7.5% firmer than Factory)
#4 = 115 (15% firmer than Factory)
#5 = 143.5 (43.5% firmer than Factory)
#6 = 172 (72% firmer than Factory)
#7 = 197.5 (97.5 firmer than Factory)
#8 = 223 (123 % firmer than Factory)

Feel free to visit their web site at www.kyb.com and request a copy of the spec sheet this information was copied from.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:26 AM

Re: Got a response back from KYB Corp.

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
KYB Corp promptly answered my inquiry as to adjustments on their AGX Product line. They also explained why both compression and rebound needs to be changed and kept relative to each other in order to prevent the cars suspension from rising or pulling the car downward leading to a possible bottoming of the vehicle. I'll just copy and past the important stuff for all to see. Most of us have already see the value changes posted on here before.

I scanned the actual word document they sent me, but cardomain is down and I can't upload it! I'll place the answer to this thread in bold for n2oMike to see.

Perhaps n2oMike should visit the site and request the proper information before posting wrong information about the KYB AGX Product.

Here's the response I got:

KYB TECHNICAL TIP # 2002-06
DATED: November 20,2002
TITLE: AGX Adjustment Definition
QUESTION / PROBLEM:

What are the adjustment settings for AGX products?

ANSWER / RESPONSE:
The AGX products have the following approximate damping force values.
When adjusted, both rebound and compression damping forces change.

Setting#: Relative Value
1 - Same as Factory
2 - Same as our GR2 products (10~15% firmer than Factory)
3 - 50% firmer than #2
4 - 30% firmer than #3

For an eight position adjustable product, the damping force values are approx. the following:

With #2 being Factory at a relative value of 100

#1 = 95 (5% softer than Factory
#2 = 100 (Factory damping force)
#3 = 107.5 (7.5% firmer than Factory)
#4 = 115 (15% firmer than Factory)
#5 = 143.5 (43.5% firmer than Factory)
#6 = 172 (72% firmer than Factory)
#7 = 197.5 (97.5 firmer than Factory)
#8 = 223 (123 % firmer than Factory)

Feel free to visit their web site at www.kyb.com and request a copy of the spec sheet this information was copied from.
Just because a marketing guy said so.... doesn't mean it's true. I've got that same email sitting here, but I'm not sure I can believe it. I'd like to see further testing on this, or even better, if someone has a free koni rear shock sitting around, test it against an AGX, and if they both behave the same then n2oMike is correct.

And technically in a situation, there are many benifits to adjusting compression different than rebound especially if you want to tune how your car handles bumps and corners (push itself up higher, pull itself down lower) The Koni adjustments are wonderful for doing that.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:57 AM

Are you referring to the AGX hand shocks?
Put them on your car. Then test them.
You'll find that the compression is highly altered when dialed differently.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't shock compression rely on oil pressure to dampen movement. Unless your hand can exhibit 750+ lbs. of force, there is no experiment.
But thanks anyway.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by 95maxmadman
Put them on your car. Then test them.
You'll find that the compression is highly altered when dialed differently.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't shock compression rely on oil pressure to dampen movement. Unless your hand can exhibit 750+ lbs. of force, there is no experiment.
But thanks anyway.
Nope, shock dampening relies on forcing a specific weight oil through valves in the piston, not the actual oil being under pressure. But the shock is under pressure to reduce foaming of the oil.
http://www.accessconnect.com/how.htm

Adjustment is made by increasing or decreasing the number of holes for the oil to flow through. Also seperate compression and rebound settings can be made by using a few different methods. One is by having valves that only flow oil one direction, so you can seperate the compression valves from the rebound valves. The shocks are generally even more complicated than that to deal with situations that require less initial dampening such as potholes.

The only reason I know all this stuff is because I use to race high performace R/C cars, with true oil filled coilovers, and they are a simplified version of the ones used in full size cars.
Old 05-19-2003, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by 95maxmadman
Unless your hand can exhibit 750+ lbs. of force, there is no experiment.
The gas pressure inside the shock sure doesn't produce 750lbs of extension force, but the **** sure makes a drastic difference in the rate in which it extends.... just not the rate at which it compresses.

As for KYB's published data... I might believe it as far as rebound (extension) is concerned, but not compression.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:59 AM

I know Tom answered the question at hand but to not agree with the KYB rep is just nuts.

Tom emailed KYB and got the facts and some of you still don't believe it.

Tom is correct and Mike is wrong.

The AGX's control compression on both sides and it all has to do with adjusting the rate of pressure flowing through the valves within the shock itself.

Pushing and pulling the shock with your hand is not exhibiting true data or road force on how it works. They need to be tested with the load of an automobile to get true data.

Let's see how much HP we get by blowing through a full freeflow exhaust setup with our mounths or lets see how much boost we can get out an SC compressor by spinning the fans with our hands. Come on people, there is no way we can get true data doing tests the wrong way.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:07 AM

I'll believe their marketing when I see it backed up by INDEPENDENT results from a shock dyno. For those of you not familier with shock dynos, look them up on the web. They are used by many higher end racers and suspension specialists to help in chassis tuning.

Until then, take the info for what it's worth and believe what you want. It's a free country.

Good Luck!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:13 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Seriously, not to knock the conclusions of the poster but :rotfl: "The above data" LOL!!!
Old 05-20-2003, 07:54 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I'll believe their marketing when I see it backed up by INDEPENDENT results from a shock dyno. For those of you not familier with shock dynos, look them up on the web. They are used by many higher end racers and suspension specialists to help in chassis tuning.

Until then, take the info for what it's worth and believe what you want. It's a free country.

Good Luck!

You do know that damping force varies with piston speed, right? If you push the piston in (with your hand or whatever) very slowly, there will be almost no resistance. If you try to push very quickly, there will be much more resistance.

Also, please explain what KYB has to gain by lying to everyone about the compression adjustment. Koni doesn't seem to have a problem publishing that their struts only adjust rebound.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

One more thing about the shock dyno. Why do you insist that those who disagree with you use a shock dyno before you will believe what the manufacturer says? You used your freakin' hand!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:07 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Didn't see the info from KYB...maybe this is just me...but I think I will beleive the info from KYB before I beleive a hand-shock-dyno. Sure KYB can "spin" things, but they can't just blatantly lie. If someone did shock-dyno the AGX's and discovered that the compression damping is NOT varied, that would be very bad news for KYB. The point about the mechanics of creating separate rebound and compression damping is also good.

Why are so many people on Maxima.org so ready to believe speculation and hype? I'm as skeptical of manufacturers claims as anyone, but a reputable company like KYB isn't just going to invent the fact that the dials alter the comrpession and rebound damping. It amazes me that people will believe BS and speculation before actual numbers and experiences.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:05 AM

Very cool info.
I guess the point I was making was that compression would highly depend on the speed and pressure of the force applying it. Mzmtg said it better than I did, but that's the main point. 750lbs+ was an estimated example. I love how the guy who's doing shock tests in his bedroom is calling me out on facts and figures. P.S. my exhaust doesn't work right. nevermind that it's sitting in box on my garage floor...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:12 AM

You do know that damping force varies with piston speed, right? If you push the piston in (with your hand or whatever) very slowly, there will be almost no resistance. If you try to push very quickly, there will be much more resistance.
Agreed. The faster it's pushed, the more resistance there is... and it's not linear, it's exponential.

But why does the time it takes the shock to extend under that 'minimal' gas pressure vary drastically as the **** is turned?

The compression time does not vary at all.

Try it, then draw your own conclusions. Yes, shock dyno data would be very nice.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:46 PM

But why does the time it takes the shock to extend under that 'minimal' gas pressure vary drastically as the **** is turned?
Because you doesn't have a spring with 350 pounds per square inch extending it.

You are presenting an argument that you lost before posting it. You also can't test mods with your hands and feet and say you have data"..

Old 05-20-2003, 04:48 PM

The piston has passages that oil must flow through as it moves up and down inside its cylinder. Yes, the resistance will vary exponentially with the velocity of the piston, but as those passages are restricted, the time required to displace the fluid from one side of the piston will still vary. This is shown with the drastic differences in the time it takes to extend the shock when the adjuster is turned. These differences are not noticed on compression. There is no noticable difference in the time it takes to compress the unit.

Originally posted by deezo
Because you doesn't have a spring with 350 pounds per square inch extending it.
You say the reason the extension does vary so much when dialed is because it does not have 350lbs of force extending it, but then say the compression does not vary for the exact same reason...

You are presenting an argument that you lost before posting it.
I don't think so. I did not post any arguments in my first writing. All I did was post some simple observations. Some of the 'regulars' were the ones who came on and started flaming. I have been nothing but respectful... which is more than can be said for some.

I can peacefully agree to disagree. I'm not going to belive the compression adjusts with the **** without seeing unbiased shock dyno data from an outside source. Anyone else is free to believe what they choose. We are obviously not changing each other's minds, so let's leave it alone.

Peace
Old 05-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I'm not going to belive the compression adjusts with the **** without seeing unbiased shock dyno data from an outside source.

Peace
I see that you dont believe the info provided by the manufacturer, but...

WHY don't you believe the manufacturer?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:29 PM

I see that you dont believe the info provided by the manufacturer, but...

WHY don't you believe the manufacturer?
First, because of my simple observations...

Second, springs are a more linear device. If shocks are valved too stiff in compression, they become REALLY hard to compress with the huge velocities encountered when a tire hits large bump. This would keep the suspension from absorbing the bump the way it should. Plus, too much compresson damping puts incredible stress on the shock itself. Large bumps will cause enough pressure inside to blow oil seals and bend shafts. About all the rebound setting has to resist is the spring itself. It CAN be adjusted over a wide range without fear of damage.

Edelbrock has a line of IAS shocks that have an 'inertia valve' that unseats when sudden huge compressional velocities (big bumps) are encountered. This allows the oil to flow freely from one side of the piston to the other... which allows the wheel to move easily when absorbing potholes, yet still be firm on compression when taking turns. They are not made for Maximas yet... but are very popular in their available applications.

Third, most quality shock manufacturers (Koni for example) adjust for rebound ONLY. If you want a shock that will adjust for compression, a double adjustable unit must be purchased. These have two seperate dials... one on top, one on the bottom. These are also VERY expensive. I don't know of many shocks that adjust for both compression AND rebound with the same ****.

peace
Old 05-20-2003, 07:29 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

First, because of my simple observations...
Ok, we've covered the flaws there.

Second, springs are a more linear device. If shocks are valved too stiff in compression, they become REALLY hard to compress with the huge velocities encountered when a tire hits large bump. This would keep the suspension from absorbing the bump the way it should. Plus, too much compresson damping puts incredible stress on the shock itself. Large bumps will cause enough pressure inside to blow oil seals and bend shafts. About all the rebound setting has to resist is the spring itself. It CAN be adjusted over a wide range without fear of damage.
Ok, a spring is not necessarily a linear device. You are correct that if the compression damping is too stiff, it will cause handling problems. But, this is no reason to think that it could not or should not be adjustable.

Keep in mind that a vehicle's suspension is not a simple spring-mass-damper system. It's a lot more complex than that.

Edelbrock has a line of IAS shocks that have an 'inertia valve' that unseats when sudden huge compressional velocities (big bumps) are encountered. This allows the oil to flow freely from one side of the piston to the other... which allows the wheel to move easily when absorbing potholes, yet still be firm on compression when taking turns. They are not made for Maximas yet... but are very popular in their available applications.
What does that have to do with AGXs?

Third, most quality shock manufacturers (Koni for example) adjust for rebound ONLY. If you want a shock that will adjust for compression, a double adjustable unit must be purchased. These have two seperate dials... one on top, one on the bottom. These are also VERY expensive. I don't know of many shocks that adjust for both compression AND rebound with the same ****.

peace
Koni made the decision to make the struts for our cars only adjust for rebound. I dont think that means that it can't be done.

If the rebound and compression are adjusted seperately (with two *****) that is called double adjustable. If there is only one **** (rebound only, compressions only, or rebound and compression together) that is single adjustable. Two ***** are not required to adjust rebound and compression at the same time.

Please tell me what KYB has to gain by lying about their products to us?

I DONT UNDERSTAND!
Old 05-20-2003, 08:22 PM

Why don't we just say that 'relatively' speaking, compression dampening changes minimally compared to the amount of change in rebound dampening.

Shock Dyno of Ralliart shocks which are supposingly similar to the AGX. Not a perfect comparison, but you can see that there is 'relatively' little change to compression dampening vs. the amount of change in rebound dampening, especially at lower shock piston velocities.

Apparently, if anybody has an old issue of SCC, Feb 2000, they've put AGX on a shock dyno before.
http://list.miata.net/miata/2000-01/3458.html

A pretty cool article on shocks.
http://www.morissdampers.com/foundersforum3.htm