4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Follow-up on EVAP repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Follow-up on EVAP repair

Greetings!
Two weeks ago I asked for members' help on EVAP code 0450 and would like to express my appreciation to fellow members, particularly to DougAtoms who was right-on in his assessment.
On his advice I bought the following from CourtesyNissan.com:
-1998 Maxima shop manual for $135
-EVAP Canister for $38.23
-Cut-off valve for $27.86.
Curiously enough, if follow the shop manual, the "Fuel line pressure Sensor" should have been replaced, but Courtesy didn't have it in stock, so I decided to replace what they had (see above) :-)

The replacement itself was uneventful - in fact, the easiest repair so far. The cut valve un-screwed easily and so did canister' mounting bolts.

I disconnected the battery for over 24 hours and Service Engine Light was gone. I still wasn't sure for a day or so until was time to fill the tank.

Once I opened the tanks' cap, I was immediately surprised NOT hearing air-escaping noise I became used to - as if you shake warm bottle of Coke and then open it; thus I realized that repair was successful.
Again, thank you all who posted replies on my initial plea.
Eugene
Old 05-21-2003, 12:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Follow-up on EVAP repair

If I am interpreting what you are sayig correctly, you no longer hear the air escaping (actually not escaping but being sucked in by vacuum) when you open the gas cap. You actually should hear it. Maybe not all the time, but when you hear that rush, it's normal. You should hear it especially when when you've gone from a full tank to empty.

DW

Originally posted by yvfed1
..Once I opened the tanks' cap, I was immediately surprised NOT hearing air-escaping noise I became used to - ..
Old 05-21-2003, 12:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The Haynes shop manual for our cars is only about 30 bucks and provides you with more then enough info on the repair of our cars. It even outlines the testing procedures to check all of the cars sensors and systems.

99% of the time, the evap code can be fixed by simply cleaning the purge valve with WD-40. (2.99/can)

Resetting the CEL light is done with the reset screw on the ECU, not by disconnecting your battery which also resets the operating parameters in your ECU. This is not recomended to do (as per the shop manual) as it can cause poor performance while your ECU relearns your cars operating parameters all over again.

The gas tank is sealed and some pressure should be present in it or you will get a check engine light. A faulty or leaking gas cap that doesn't hold pressure in your tank will:

1) Cause you to fail inspection
2) Turn on your check engine light

I'm glad the org helped you solve a problem, but I think a bit more research would have saved you a lot of money.