4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car running through oil like me through alcohol!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Car running through oil like me through alcohol!

Sorry in advance for the long post, but I want to post as much details as possible so that some of the experts here can help me out hopefully.

On March 28, I took my car into Nissan for an oil change, etc and came out fine. I have my car serviced and Nissan at regular intervals as per the service schedule. In fact I am ahead of the Nissan service schedule. Then I went to the track for the first time THIS YEAR on April 26 and that was the first time that I ever saw my oil light start to flash on and off intermittently. I took it to the dealership first thing after I got back. They said that it was the sender switch that needed to be replaced. I had it replaced and they did an oil change while they were at it. The oil light was gone after then. Then I went to the track again the next weekend on May 4 and everything was fine... until May 19 when I saw the oil light come on again (this is only 3.5 weeks after I got an oil change and sensor replaced). I took it into the dealership today and they said that I was running on almost no oil and that they had to fill almost 4L!!!

Then I asked them where the oil was going and they said that there are NO leaks, and they said that I am not burning oil either. Then umm... where is my oil going??? They said that they checked for blue smoke and saw none. But I bet that they just revved it in neutral and didn't see smoke. I asked them specifically if my seals and rings are leaking and they said absolutely not! But when I have driven with friends on the road, they said that they have seen a tiny bit of blue smoke coming out of my exhaust when I drive. So what gives??? Is Nissan full of **** here or what?

Has anyone else experienced problems like this? Please help me out here. The light is gone now after my oil change but I will monitor it very closely.

Thanks for any help and sorry again for the extra long post.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

April 26 ~ 28 throu May 19th. 4 Liters of oil burnt would produce enough blue smoke to choke the guy in back of you.

I suspect Nissan didn't fill you crankcase up all the way when they changed the sending unit.

You should always check your oil level the morning you bring your car to the track. Don't want to be running up to red line while you low on oil.

Monitor your oil level very closely over the next few thousand miles and see what happens. Weekly inspections would be a good idea at this point.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:17 PM

I have the same problem. Car sucks oil up and it doesn't seem to go anywhere?? I had a 96 auto before this 5spd and it never drank a drop of oil. Now I can't seem to keep it full?

There isn't any sign on the plugs, and the car isn't leaking oil on the ground, and there isn't blue smoke coming out the tail pipe. Only time I can see a sign of exhaust fumes is when I flat out gun it on the interstate at night with a car directly behind me. Then I can see signs of smoke, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from a car at WOT? I have also tried replacing the PCV vavle because some said this could cause consumption, no luck!

To top it off the dip stick sucks ***!!!! It is hard as hell to get a good reading off of it.

Sorry, but I am just as lost as you!

Old 05-22-2003, 12:45 AM

I think you guys have enemies attempting to kill your engine.