4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Warpspeed Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 11:39 PM

New Warpspeed Cat?

I just noticed this at their website.
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/metalsubstrate.htm
the "New Metallic Substrate" CAT. How does this one differ from the RT and Carsound ones? I have a budget Y-pipe and OBX catback, is getting a new CAT worth it?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i want to know too. i have considered that it could be the best cat. right now im trying to deceide on :

Random Tech Cat.
Replace stock Nissan Cat
CustomMaxima Racing Pipe

When should you replace your cat ? after 3 - 5 years ?
Old 05-23-2003, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
i want to know too. i have considered that it could be the best cat. right now im trying to deceide on :

Random Tech Cat.
Replace stock Nissan Cat
CustomMaxima Racing Pipe

When should you replace your cat ? after 3 - 5 years ?
Dont even think about getting a new stock Cat from Nissan they run about $600 give or take. I got the price quote for it when i was replacing my exhaust. They told me unless you can hear the catalyst rattling around inside it was fine and should last the life of the car or until it falls off from rust. If you have to replace it got with the WSP cat but not RT.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i had the r/t cat, it sucked. the screens and such came apart inside. i haven't had the warpspeed substrate cat on for very long. however, the cat is working just fine so far. just about the same sound and feel as the straight pipe i had in place for a little bit, but it's still environment friendly
Old 05-23-2003, 08:19 AM

notice any gains though worth the price?!

Eric
Old 05-23-2003, 08:35 AM

From Warpspeed...

Metal substrates offer the following advantages and are beginning to be used on some of the new high performance cars:

The metal foil is only 0.002" thick, compared with a typical wall thickness of 0.012" for a ceramic substrate. Therefore the obstruction to gas flow is reduced significantly. In a typical automotive 400 cell per square inch application, the frontal flow area in ceramic is 69% open (31% closed). The metallic forthe same application has 91% open area resulting in approximately 20% less blockage. Metal has a lower specific heat capacity than ceramic materials, meaning that metal substrates reach their operating temperature more quickly after a cold start. So theconverter will light off quicker. Metal is able to conduct heat more rapidly than ceramics, which helps to prevent localized overheating by dispersing the heat throughout the substrate. This contrasts with the situation encountered with ceramic substrates where localized overheating leads to irreversible damage to the catalytic material, and ultimately to substrate meltdown. Of course if you are burning raw fuel (gasoline) due to an engine problem you can still damage a metallic substrate converter as well.
Metallic substrates will not crack or disintegrate even under harsh operating conditions. They are less brittle than the ceramic type, meaning that they are more resistant to damage caused by shocks and vibration. Also because they are stainless and the shell is stainless there is no packing material fabric or matting between the substrate core and the case so there is nothing to come loose like the ceramic substrate converters. The metallic core is ideal because the housing and substrate will expand and contract at nearly the same rate. Ceramic cores and steel housings do not share such properties.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:40 AM

definitely. not to mention, you can tell when you take it out of the box it's built more solid than the random tech cat. next time i can get under the car, i'll take a few digital pics to show ya.