4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

140,000 Mile Report

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 02:32 PM

140,000 Mile Report

Hi guys. I finally passed the 140k mark on the way to Atlantic City over the holiday weekend. Just wanted to let everyone know what problems I've been having since purchasing the car new on Auguest of 1998. BTW for anyone that doesnt know, I have an auto

The problems I've been having are... NOTHING !
Nothing ever went wrong til the engine came on at the 135,000 mark, and it turned out to be the EVAP VENT VALVE CLOSED code. I took apart the stuff and did some cleaning and put em back together and the light went off after couple hundred miles !!

-I have the original CV boots and they still look brand new. phew..
-Trannny seems to be ok.. I hope they dont go bad for another 100k miles.
-Still on the original 02 sensors. I wonder how long they'll last.
-No visible consumption of oil. I went Mobil 1 around 85k and change every 5k. Changed with regular oil every 3k before then.
-Still on stock shocks. I keep putting off the GR2s because doing a suspension job is pure grunt work and I HATE it. lol. but each time I did a spring job, it took 1 less hour, so hopefully I can do it faster next time.

After experimenting with several ypipes, catbacks, intakes
and NOS, my car is back to stock again except the budget ypipe and the warpspeed B. I still havnet decided if i'm gonna keep the max or get the 350z. right now I'm just enjoying the "paid off" maxima, and even if I wanna get the 350z, I think I better hold off til the 04 models come out.

When something goes bad next, I think its gonna be one of the following:
-knock sensor
-wheel bearings
-02 sensors
-misc sensers here and there.. like the crank position sensor, water temp and etc..

am I missing anything?

I did a calculation of how much mod money I spent over the past 4 years and it came out to about $2500 bucks. and thats including the labor for putting on and taking off and putting on and taking off the ypipes and misc parts here and there. not bad right? Now I went thorough all this and learned, if I had to get a maxima again I'd get a 96 5spd and get the Intake, ECU, MEVI, ypipe, Stillen Bpipe and NOTHING ELSE.

I'd take a 5spd 4th gen over a 5spd 5th gen. 4th gens are way more responsive and sportier than the 5th gens IMO.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:23 PM

Damn i still hate you for that NOS you sold to other guy... (j/k)
good to see you bro

Tae
Old 05-28-2003, 09:16 PM

miles to go...............

I have a 96 5-spd with the y pipe, filter and a few other mods with only 86,000 on it. Seems I have alot of life left by what you are saying. Best car I have ever had. Sporty,roomy and not bad MPG. Not sure about the MEVI, but agree that with a few mods, the car is still dependable and fun to drive. Yes, fans, i drive a four door. And yes, I still eat a lot of coupes. Four years ago I had an achieva with the 190 hp four and a 5-spd. One day, I ****ed a Max off on the on-ramp and he sat on my *** with ease. Not long after that, I got mine, and have not regretted it since (and humorously enough, I never even took a test drive)

See you guys on the road- and wave to the other drivers when you go by.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:18 AM

im glad you came in with an update, i was just arguing with a friend how the struts arent going to automatically go at 100k. 140k and still going strong sounds great! The reliablity of the Maxima sometimes suprises me...
Old 05-29-2003, 04:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 140,000 Mile Report

I would agree with you, but finish it off with a UDP, and 5th gen muffler or Borla

DW

Originally posted by hokiemax
. . Now I went thorough all this and learned, if I had to get a maxima again I'd get a 96 5spd and get the Intake, ECU, MEVI, ypipe, Stillen Bpipe and NOTHING ELSE. . .
Old 05-29-2003, 07:02 AM

Originally posted by jkotel
im glad you came in with an update, i was just arguing with a friend how the struts arent going to automatically go at 100k. 140k and still going strong sounds great! The reliablity of the Maxima sometimes suprises me...
Actually, my struts are TOTALLY BLOWN. I drive hard and I got the Eibachs on. This is due to my driving habits and the aftermarket springs, and the fact that when I was in college, I almost always carried 5 people in my car.

However, you are right that struts dont just automatically go bad at 100k. My mom bought a used and loaded 97SE. That car has 100k miles now, but the struts are still in very good condition. It still rides like new. Also, my sister's 97 Accord which she bought new 6 years ago, the sruts on that car are still good too. Of course she drives nice and slow like a girl and her OEM tires lasted like 70,000 miles.
Man, that accord rides so much nicer than my max right now, but I'm sure some of that is due to accord's independent rear suspension. No matter what you do, independent rears ride so much better.
I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the Gr2's today !
Old 05-29-2003, 07:12 AM

I just changed my suspension out... thinking the stock struts were still in fine shape. WRONG!

The front passenger side was completely blown (there wasn't even enough gas pressure to push the piston up), and the others were seeping oil, and didn't have all that much resistance in them.

You'd be surprised how bad they can get before being noticed. It's a gradual thing that goes undetected. If you put brand new parts on there, you'd say DAMN!

Good Luck!
Old 05-30-2003, 11:01 AM

very glad u have no problems, i have 120k on my 95 and have changed almost all my sensors already

all 02 sensors, knock sensors, ETS sensor, so hopefully i will be good for the remainder of my max life