4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

steering wobbles at about 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 08:12 PM

steering wobbles at about 70mph

my steering wobbles at about 70mph. it doesn’t vibrate violently and it gets worse at about 80mph. could it be the fstb that I recently installed or could it be the front brake pads that I recently replaced at a local auto shop?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:00 PM

mine was doing this and i had a tire balance done, no more problem
Old 05-28-2003, 09:09 PM

Is it when you are braking, if it is when your braking than you might have to resurface your rotors, mine were like that and I resurfaced and I'm all fine now.
Old 05-28-2003, 09:22 PM
I aim to misbehave.

might want to check your CV joints as well
Old 05-28-2003, 09:32 PM

how do you check the CV joints. I remember someone else posted about this recently, and I responded explaining that I had the same problem with mine. Mine started to vibrate on the highway above 70mph, even past 80. Sometimes it vibrates, sometimes it doesnt. I thought it was my aftermarket rims since the problem started when i had those installed. Since the last 1.5 yrs i have been trying to figure it out, i still havent found the solution. I thought it was the tires, so i bought brand new tires, and that wasnt it. Then, when i finally had enough money, i got four new rims, and with MUCH disappointment, that wasnt the problem EITHER. So now I am clueless...someone mentioned that sometimes when they put on new aftermarket wheels, after having removed the stocks, the rotors may warp with the released pressure and that I should have them resurfaced...however, whenever I brake at ANY speed, there are no vibrations in the peddle. I HATe how my car is limited to city driving and I cant even use it to travel on the highway becuase the vibrations are so bad. IT will vibrate on the highway for 10 seconds, and then it will phase out for a few seconds, and then come back, etc. It goes from side-to-side too...and is particularly bad when easing around curves in the highway. i've basically given up on it...
Old 05-28-2003, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: steering wobbles at about 70mph

Originally posted by joew
my steering wobbles at about 70mph. it doesn’t vibrate violently and it gets worse at about 80mph. could it be the fstb that I recently installed or could it be the front brake pads that I recently replaced at a local auto shop?
just het your front tires balanced. That will fix the problem if if it doesn't then do plan B
Old 05-29-2003, 08:13 AM

I had the same problem in my Honda Accord. I had the tires balanced, rotated, and nothing worked. Why? Because the tires were ruined. Radial tires have steel belts that can, over time, stretch and pull apart (so said the tire guy). When the steel stretches too far, the tires becomes weakened and will cause serious wobbling and vibration. When I got new tires, ride was smooth as butter.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:45 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Yeah, tires have steel belts in them that can slip and move around over time. A slipped belt can really throw everything off.

Get under the car and look along the length of the axle. There are these rubber accordian-like, cone-shaped boots where the axle connects to other things (wheel hub, for example). Make sure that they are not cracked and that they are securely attached at both ends. I had this problem when one of my CV boots came off completely without my realizing it. Luckily, my sister totalled my car before I had to get new axles

Anyway, give that a shot. I'm sure someone else can give a better description than I can if you still need help.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 AM

I had the same exact problem and it was my front tires were worn on the inside of the tire. I bought new tires and it is smooth riding now. You always try to put your rear tires on the front and vice versa.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:08 AM

tie rods, tie rods, tie rods.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:13 PM

tie rods? can you be more specific?
Old 10-06-2003, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Stillen_I30
how do you check the CV joints. I remember someone else posted about this recently, and I responded explaining that I had the same problem with mine. Mine started to vibrate on the highway above 70mph, even past 80. Sometimes it vibrates, sometimes it doesnt. I thought it was my aftermarket rims since the problem started when i had those installed. Since the last 1.5 yrs i have been trying to figure it out, i still havent found the solution. I thought it was the tires, so i bought brand new tires, and that wasnt it. Then, when i finally had enough money, i got four new rims, and with MUCH disappointment, that wasnt the problem EITHER. So now I am clueless...someone mentioned that sometimes when they put on new aftermarket wheels, after having removed the stocks, the rotors may warp with the released pressure and that I should have them resurfaced...however, whenever I brake at ANY speed, there are no vibrations in the peddle. I HATe how my car is limited to city driving and I cant even use it to travel on the highway becuase the vibrations are so bad. IT will vibrate on the highway for 10 seconds, and then it will phase out for a few seconds, and then come back, etc. It goes from side-to-side too...and is particularly bad when easing around curves in the highway. i've basically given up on it...
Dude I just tried to reply to this message and got a "cannot load page" error and I can't remember everything I had written. So just let me know where you stand with your efforts. I have a cyclical kinda side to side vibration too. Just balanced today and still there. Starts around 60 and fades somewhat after 90 or so.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also had this problem. Changed tires at least twice. Rebalanced many times, I remember the guys at Discount Tire looking at me like oh man here comes this guy again. I also had it aligned many times as well, and still no solution. I finally gave up and lived with it for a couple of years. Two months ago I needed a new front hub assembly, bearing, and seals. My car's vibration at highway speeds drastically changed, almost went away. I just had my other side fixed, just the bearing and seals, and my car drives even better (the change was not as drastic as with the first hub and bearing change, but that is beacase those were totally gone, and grinding) . I was so frustrated by this problem for so long. One of my rims is slightly bent now, and even now it feels better than before when all my rims were straight.
Old 10-08-2003, 03:19 PM

Well I put my front end on jack stands and let the car idle in 4th gear, which got the speedo to 20 mph. Looking at the right tire from the right side of the car, I can see the tire is a little out of round. But on the left side, I noticed a little lateral wobbling. Fortunately, I was able to look directly at the wheel and see no wobble at all. But I look at the tire on the left side from the top and see this lateral wobbling. It looks ever so slight, but at around 70 mph I would bet that this wobble is amplified and causes vibration I feel. I want to change the left side tires to be sure but my back won't let me. Assuming this is the problem, though, what can I do? Have the tire re-mounted on the wheel? Can I give it a good kick and get it straight? Should the balancing have taken care of something like this? I always thought balancing only took care of the radial eccentricities. $20 wasted. Man $20 means so much to me right now.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
Well I put my front end on jack stands and let the car idle in 4th gear, which got the speedo to 20 mph. Looking at the right tire from the right side of the car, I can see the tire is a little out of round. But on the left side, I noticed a little lateral wobbling. Fortunately, I was able to look directly at the wheel and see no wobble at all. But I look at the tire on the left side from the top and see this lateral wobbling. It looks ever so slight, but at around 70 mph I would bet that this wobble is amplified and causes vibration I feel. I want to change the left side tires to be sure but my back won't let me. Assuming this is the problem, though, what can I do? Have the tire re-mounted on the wheel? Can I give it a good kick and get it straight? Should the balancing have taken care of something like this? I always thought balancing only took care of the radial eccentricities. $20 wasted. Man $20 means so much to me right now.
If anyone is still checking this stuff, kill what I said about the lateral wobbling of the tire. I switched that tire (left front) with the rear one. Vibration was still there. Also, I observed that the rear tire actually did a little bit of side-to-side motion too. So I switch right side tires. Vibration is gone. I feel a little but nowhere near like it was before. So I guess the tire morons just didn't balance the right front tire well enough. I'm going back tomorrow and the next time I can afford balancing, I'll try one of the places with the GSP or whatever. Still, though, it's astonishing that with all this technology in the world, a lame-brain can still screw up stuff.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Yeah, the guys in flat fix are not careful or they may want to rip people off. I had to go back to get it done correctly. Member to mention, that you drive over 80mph.