4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Breaking makes my car's RPM drop to 0 and makes it shut down on me.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 02:43 PM

Breaking makes my car's RPM drop to 0 and makes it shut down on me.

What's wrong wit this? had this problem for awhile.
When I break, RPM just drops down to 0 and the car shuts down.
Now this doesn't happen all the time but most of the time when I break, either the RPM goes REALLY REALLY low and shifts back up or it shuts down on me. Anyone know why this thing is happening?
I tried searching but I guess my account is banned from searching.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:49 PM

Re: Breaking makes my car's RPM drop to 0 and makes it shut down on me.

Originally posted by Sexima
What's wrong wit this? had this problem for awhile.
When I break, RPM just drops down to 0 and the car shuts down.
Now this doesn't happen all the time but most of the time when I break, either the RPM goes REALLY REALLY low and shifts back up or it shuts down on me. Anyone know why this thing is happening?
I tried searching but I guess my account is banned from searching.
Most likely your idle is too low, your intake needs cleaning, and/or your IACV needs cleaning. Your idle adjust screw is on top of the IACV.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you need to clean your throttle body
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/517
Old 05-30-2003, 05:46 PM

push the clutch in when stopping

lol he didnt mention auto or manual
Old 05-30-2003, 05:47 PM

Already cleaned the intake filter 3 weeks ago.
I have to clean the INTAKE?
What is IACV? and how do I clean it and adjust it?
I cleaned the throttle body already like back in October 2003.
MINE IS AUTO!!!!
Old 05-30-2003, 05:59 PM

i have a 99 auto and i had this problem 2 months ago. it was my throttle body and intake manifold being dirty. you have to clean it with a toothbrush really good first (especially around the edge of the butterfly). i got a really good synthetic throttle body cleaner. after cleaning the butterfly, i then put my whole intake assembly back on the car. after hooking back up the MAF, filter, and piping i stuck the little straw from the cleaner into the connection between the intake pipe and the throttle body. you then start the car and as you're revving it up you squirt 3-5 second shots of cleaner into the engine. use most if not all of the can of cleaner. for me it was a night and day difference.

hope this helps.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:39 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

yeah... breaking your car is bad... it will do things like that.

at least clean out your TB like people have been mentioning. Don't forget to check out www.motorvate.ca
Old 05-30-2003, 06:59 PM

also, make sure you do not have an intake leak. Particularly the big tube from the intake to the IACV...
Old 05-30-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Sexima
Already cleaned the intake filter 3 weeks ago.
I have to clean the INTAKE?
What is IACV? and how do I clean it and adjust it?
I cleaned the throttle body already like back in October 2003.
MINE IS AUTO!!!!
Clean the intake.... which includes the THROTTLE BODY... Look Here October 2003???

The IACV is Idle Air Control Valve - Look Here the idle adjustment screw is on top of the IACV. It's easy to take off and take apart to clean.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 PM

Info

-Just some context to everything. When you brake the power-assist kicks in, this loads the engine. This could be what drops your RPM, and that may be correctable by means mentioned above. If the impact is severe, you'll have to look at more indepth possibilities... like wiring, etc.
-What RPM do you idle at normally?? At idle, turn on your A/C and power your windows down with your headlights on, this will 'load' the engine significantly. If it stalls here, look very closely at what is said by the previous posts, something is wrong with the idle. What should happen when the engine is 'loaded' is it should rev-up automatically, not overly high, but it might go from 650 to 1000 RPM to compensate for the load.
-Also try putting one foot on the gas a bit to keep the RPMs at 1000, then brake and see if it stalls. If it does not, then you have no wiring problems related to the breaking action. If it does, then maybe your transmition is not dissengaging enough or your TB is dirty, things need adjustment, etc....

Good luck,
dave
Old 05-30-2003, 10:22 PM

We cleaned the TB together not too long ago, so I dont think thats the problem.. David whats your idle RPM? I think you might have to adjust the idle screw to let more air in. I found out that no matter how much you "turn up the air" with the idle adjuster screw, the ECU adjusts it back to a preset value. The idle adjuster screw is physically opening and closing a door (am I correct?) and ECU can adjust the idle DOWN, but it can only adjust DOWN, not UP. If the throttle body is having a hard time getting enough air physically in the first place, because the idle "door" or whatever is too tight, that might explain why your car keeps shutting off.

So, it is OK to adjust the idle screw all the way to max and let the ECU adjust down the idle RPM. But the idle might not be too smooth when you do this. I found out you need to reach the right balance with the idle screw to have the maximum smoothness.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:35 AM

If your base idle is so low that your rpms drop and the car stalls, you will need to adjust your base idle with the throttle plate screw. The IACV set screw has a vary narrow rpm range for fine tuning. In either case or to check what you base idle is, you will need to disconnect the TPS. Do a search for base idle adjustment.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buy a Chilton's manual, and the problem will go away.

Old 05-31-2003, 10:49 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

weren't you spraying too? A strong possiblity is your tranny is goin out.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:34 PM

Like Hokiemax said I already cleaned the TB already back in 2002 October... somewhere around there. By cleaning the INTAKE I was talking about the pipe. Where do you buy hoes for your engine? I think I need to check the hoes to see if they are okay... one is like kind of loose.
I still can't figure out where that junk is... and do I loosen it to raise the rpm up or tighten it? Hokie wanna tune our cars? hehe