4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

UPRD ECU pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 05:59 AM

Someone pls tell me more about this mod. Good, bad or indifferent.
Thx,
Manny Maximus
Old 01-26-2001, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Basically its all good.
Old 01-26-2001, 07:03 AM

I'm pretty clueless about this mod too cause up until now I didn't know my 97 se auto fedspec max could benefit from the ecu. I was just wondering how much horsepower it generates, what will my fuel economy be, how much will it cost to get reprogrammed as I add on more mods like a supercharger, and should I just buy an extra ecu instead of sending in the one I got and not being able to drive my car for how long?

Old 01-26-2001, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by Mannylove
Someone pls tell me more about this mod. Good, bad or indifferent.
Thx,
Manny Maximus
To you, I would say indifferent and I don't mean that as a flame. The ECU does not work on 97,98,99 4th gens (well, you can put a 96 ECU in a 97 if you can deal w/a few messages from the ECU. UPRD apparantly does not feel that it would be profitable to spend the money on developing the ECU for the above mentioned model years (Potential customers from 2 model years more cost effective than potential customers from 3 model years???? remind me never to use their accountant).
Old 01-26-2001, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its not about potential customers

The code on the 95/96 is already cracked and therefore easier to do. They are doing a trial run for 95/96, and if the showing is good, then they might work on one for other model year maximas. It is all about supply and demand. If there is little interest in something that is easy for them to do, why would they waste their time breaking the code for later ecu's for no profit...their accountant sounds pretty good to me.
Old 01-26-2001, 08:35 AM

I have some specific questions:
1. Does the UPRD ecu work with 96 I30t 5sp?
2. How extensively has the mod been tested?
3. Does UPRD warranty their work and thus accept liability for consequent engine damage?
4. What would be the mod effect on the engine longetivity? I plan to keep my car for another 5 years.
5. If the car has other mods (intake, y-pipe), would there be any problems (too much advance?), or is that only a problem if you have NOS or S/C?
6. Would UPRD guarantee a 2-day turnaround job?

Thanks.

Old 01-26-2001, 09:43 AM

Answers

#1 Am checking on that today. However, they aren't changing the ECU just adding a ROM board and I believe the ECUs are almost the same.
#2 Cheston, Nabil, Emax, and Diplomaticmadaman have all had the UPRD ECU in their cars and all have said the same thing. Nabil sated in his review of it that the programing didn't push the limits, and was conservative, and he had no knocking or pinging.
#3 Emax got a 1 year warranty on his receipt from defection of the product I believe, however, I need to check the further. If the product is defective you should be able to return it, however UPRD does good work and this should not be a problem.
#4 Basically all mods effect engine longevity basically. If you are gaining performance and running your car hard, then I think you can answer this. However the VQ is an awesome engine and can handle some heavy footed drivers. muwahahah!!!
#5 The ECU will adapt to NA mods without a problem. I mean it adapts without the UPRD ECU, and it will do the same with it.
#6 Two days would about cover the shipping time of the ECU, so I don't know how you expect them to have time to program it.

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30
3. Does UPRD warranty their work and thus accept liability for consequent engine damage?
4. What would be the mod effect on the engine longetivity? I plan to keep my car for another 5 years.
5. If the car has other mods (intake, y-pipe), would there be any problems (too much advance?), or is that only a problem if you have NOS or S/C?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2001, 09:57 AM

Re: Answers

Originally posted by Victim64
#1 Am checking on that today. However, they aren't changing the ECU just adding a ROM board and I believe the ECUs are almost the same.
#2 Cheston, Nabil, Emax, and Diplomaticmadaman have all had the UPRD ECU in their cars and all have said the same thing. Nabil sated in his review of it that the programing didn't push the limits, and was conservative, and he had no knocking or pinging.
#3 Emax got a 1 year warranty on his receipt from defection of the product I believe, however, I need to check the further. If the product is defective you should be able to return it, however UPRD does good work and this should not be a problem.
#4 Basically all mods effect engine longevity basically. If you are gaining performance and running your car hard, then I think you can answer this. However the VQ is an awesome engine and can handle some heavy footed drivers. muwahahah!!!
#5 The ECU will adapt to NA mods without a problem. I mean it adapts without the UPRD ECU, and it will do the same with it.
#6 Two days would about cover the shipping time of the ECU, so I don't know how you expect them to have time to program it.

Originally posted by 96 VQ 30

Thanks.

Hey Victim64:
What's up...?
Old 01-26-2001, 10:00 AM

fcuco

"You've got Mail" Thanks!!! lol
Old 01-26-2001, 10:14 AM

Re: fcuco

Originally posted by Victim64
"You've got Mail" Thanks!!! lol

Hey I'm @ work right now...Can't check e-mail right now..Just wanted to say what's up...LOL
Old 01-26-2001, 12:03 PM

I'm not sure I want a yellow check engine light on all the time if I do this conversion. Normally I'd take the light bulb outta the dash but then what happens when something really goes wrong. I would never know. I'm in a catch 22 situation here. Someone please convince me that I need this mod. otherwise I might have to pull outta this group buy. What to do what to do... hmmm.

My other comment is that the reason why they haven't come out with ecu's for 97 98 and 99 is cause they haven't cracked the code for OBD2 yet and so far no one has been able too. Thus, it's not about whether theres a demand or not... it's just not possible at the moment. I'm thinking if JWT wasn't able to do it neither can UPRD. So all this talk about the accountant being smart or stupid really isn't an issue. Am I right?

Just my 2 cents.
Al.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:17 PM

K let me try !!!

As for 97's with the 96 UPRD ECU in them: The check engine light comes on because of the rear 02 sensor (I believe that was the one) Once this is change to a 96 sensor you should have no problems, with no check engine light. Cheston is driving around with his and has no problems except the fact that the ECU that he has is for an auto and not a 5spd lol. He is going to fix that, all it does is set off an auto engine code or something. Talk to Cheston, he will tell you it is well worth it in a 97!!!

As for your OB2 theory: 95-96 maximas have OB2 so that takes care of that. Some have though that the 95's had OBD1 but we debated this and evidence was given that it was 0BD2 and none that it had OBD1. The 97-99 boards though are different and that is why they haven't done it yet, they have to see a demand for them and it appears to them that it just isn't there.

Originally posted by NISMO808
I'm not sure I want a yellow check engine light on all the time if I do this conversion. Normally I'd take the light bulb outta the dash but then what happens when something really goes wrong. I would never know. I'm in a catch 22 situation here. Someone please convince me that I need this mod. otherwise I might have to pull outta this group buy. What to do what to do... hmmm.

My other comment is that the reason why they haven't come out with ecu's for 97 98 and 99 is cause they haven't cracked the code for OBD2 yet and so far no one has been able too. Thus, it's not about whether theres a demand or not... it's just not possible at the moment. I'm thinking if JWT wasn't able to do it neither can UPRD. So all this talk about the accountant being smart or stupid really isn't an issue. Am I right?

Just my 2 cents.
Al.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:31 PM

Bing Bang Boom...

I guess u hit the nail rite on the head. My Max is a 99 and it seems that I'm lite years away from this mod.
To get back to my original question....no one responded with an all out explanation, the pros nor the cons, I guess this mod is not for every1.

If anything, the one thing u don't wanna do is screw around with the brain of the operations......It's like trying transfer Einstein's knowledge to another head.
Let it be, let it be.

Manny Maximus
Old 01-26-2001, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the clarification Clint, I stand corrected. What's cheston's email by the way?

al.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:39 PM

You've Got Mail

Originally posted by NISMO808
Thanks for the clarification Clint, I stand corrected. What's cheston's email by the way?

al.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:42 PM

PROS and CONS

Pros: Your car will perform better and be faster!!!
Cons: You will have a heavy foot and waste gas driving faster than normal!!! LOL

Originally posted by Mannylove
I guess u hit the nail rite on the head. My Max is a 99 and it seems that I'm lite years away from this mod.
To get back to my original question....no one responded with an all out explanation, the pros nor the cons, I guess this mod is not for every1.

If anything, the one thing u don't wanna do is screw around with the brain of the operations......It's like trying transfer Einstein's knowledge to another head.
Let it be, let it be.

Manny Maximus
Old 01-26-2001, 05:16 PM

Has anyone dyno'd with one yet? n/m

Old 01-26-2001, 07:56 PM

Re: Has anyone dyno'd with one yet? n/m

Yes, Cheston(DynoJet) and Nabil(Clayton) have had their cars dyno'd. Check it out at http://www.maximadriver.com under the UPRD ECU section....

Originally posted by The New CLIMAX
Old 01-27-2001, 04:01 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Does it raise the Rev limit? That would be great!!!!
Old 01-27-2001, 10:35 AM

Two weeks ago they said they were lucking at that

However, given the power curve of the VQ even with all the NA bolt ons, do you really think that is going to benift you?? There isn't much power left up there. Now maybe if you had a S/C or NO2 it would be different.

Originally posted by krismax
Does it raise the Rev limit? That would be great!!!!
Old 01-27-2001, 12:23 PM
maxmze

ecu for a sc max

HEy guys,

I dont think this mod is good for a s/c max. I have a sc max and contacted UPRD about it. They have no specs on a s/c max and have not dynoed one to date. Thus I dont see how they can possibly progran an ecu if they dont have the specs. JUST A THOUGHT but figured I would say something caude I want an ECU but not if they are clueless about my specs. SO I suggest is backoff the deal and wait if youve got a sc max cause this is the brain of the car we are talkin about not just a bolt on mod.

THANKS

Old 01-27-2001, 12:27 PM

Is there an ETA on one of you guys dynoing on a DYNOJET? n/m

Old 01-27-2001, 03:17 PM

I need an 96 se auto ecu pronto..... anyone got an extra? I think the junkyards are closed on sunday.

AL.