4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear Sway Bar Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 09:11 PM

Rear Sway Bar Noise!

I know this topic has been covered but I need advice. I can't get the popping noise to go away. It's mainley during slow turns or on driveways/small bumps.

I installed myself and triple checked and everything looks fine. I've re-tighned ect. What am I over looking here. It seems to come and go, but the last 2 weeks it's been here to stay!

I have a Stillen RSB by the way.

Thanks in advace.
Old 06-02-2003 | 09:30 PM

Re: Rear Sway Bar Noise!

Originally posted by rbeyer
I know this topic has been covered but I need advice. I can't get the popping noise to go away. It's mainley during slow turns or on driveways/small bumps.

I installed myself and triple checked and everything looks fine. I've re-tighned ect. What am I over looking here. It seems to come and go, but the last 2 weeks it's been here to stay!

I have a Stillen RSB by the way.

Thanks in advace.
I've got the stillen also, the popping is normal. I'm pretty sure it's due to the holes in the crossbar being slightly bigger than the screws, and the bar shifting and rubbing against the clamps.
Old 06-02-2003 | 09:45 PM

Re: Re: Rear Sway Bar Noise!

How loud is your popping noise. Mine is now louder and more frequent. When I was backing out of the driveway at my parents house my dad told me he heard it from the backyard! It's anying in the car, but embaressing when everyone around you can hear it too.

Originally posted by drewm

I've got the stillen also, the popping is normal. I'm pretty sure it's due to the holes in the crossbar being slightly bigger than the screws, and the bar shifting and rubbing against the clamps.
Old 06-02-2003 | 09:46 PM
V^___^V

progress rsb doesn't do tat
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:23 PM

Thats nice to know...wanna trade? J/k...at least yours is quiet. I think it is somehthing else since a lot of people have the Stillen RSB and haven't been complaining.

Originally posted by happyricefob
progress rsb doesn't do tat
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:36 PM

Thats nice to know...wanna trade? J/k...at least yours is quiet. I think it is somehthing else since a lot of people have the Stillen RSB and haven't been complaining.

Pretty much everyone I know complains about it, and I've been here a pretty long time. Then again, for the adjustability it's very worth it.

My popping is about the same volume. Generally I only get the popping when I have people in my backseat or lots of stuff in my trunk, or when I angle a really steep driveway.
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I have it on my other 96 SE Max for 3 yrs.No popping or any kind off noise you guy talking about. Maybe it's not center to the beam.
Old 06-03-2003 | 05:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The Stillen sway bar clamps hit the floor boards if there to far back on the trailing arms. Personally I think the design of the sway bar is at fault. This is very common on a lowered car.
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:54 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The Stillen sway bar clamps hit the floor boards if there to far back on the trailing arms. Personally I think the design of the sway bar is at fault. This is very common on a lowered car.
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:57 PM

Mine squeaks. Its an Addco.
Old 06-03-2003 | 10:15 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Mine squeaks. Its an Addco.
Yeah addco's braket is too long.I had to grind mine down a little,so that it will clear the lateral link.You don't have to if you don't want.But you will have to make sure it's not too close to the lateral link,so they are not rubbing each other.
Old 06-04-2003 | 04:07 AM

Ok, thanks for the info.
Old 06-04-2003 | 04:09 AM
V^___^V

nah...it's okie
Old 06-04-2003 | 04:11 AM
V^___^V

i still don't get why people get stillen when it's so much more expensive than progress, and it's not doin its job. :confussed:
Old 06-04-2003 | 04:38 AM

Originally posted by happyricefob
i still don't get why people get stillen when it's so much more expensive than progress, and it's not doin its job. :confussed:
It does the job very well actually. A lot of people feel that the turn in response is a lot quicker than the other 2 bars. Also it's the only adjustable RSB. The Progress and Addco aren't adjustable.
Old 06-04-2003 | 05:32 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
Yeah addco's braket is too long.I had to grind mine down a little,so that it will clear the lateral link.You don't have to if you don't want.But you will have to make sure it's not too close to the lateral link,so they are not rubbing each other.

How in the world did you install it?
That bar fit's perfect and mine hasn't made a sound in 3 years.

The Stillen mounts are junk. Have you ever seen a piece of suspension equipment not mounted with some kind of bushing or bearing? The Stillen bar is a crude hard metal to metal mount. It looks like an Erector set. It's only expected to make noise if it's got to move at all. It's a poor design and they get a fortune for it too.
Old 06-04-2003 | 07:19 AM

For what it's worth, I've had the Stillen RSB for more than 3 years and I've never touched it since the day I put it on. It has never made any noise and greatly improved the way my car handled and felt, almost like a different car. I positioned it directly under the beam, maybe that has something to do with it? Try giving them a call, they may be able to suggest something. My car is not lowered either, bad idea in NYC.
Old 06-04-2003 | 07:37 AM

Originally posted by Galager
For what it's worth, I've had the Stillen RSB for more than 3 years and I've never touched it since the day I put it on. It has never made any noise and greatly improved the way my car handled and felt, almost like a different car. I positioned it directly under the beam, maybe that has something to do with it? Try giving them a call, they may be able to suggest something. My car is not lowered either, bad idea in NYC.
My experience, word for word, except that I am lowered with H&Rs.
Old 06-04-2003 | 10:22 AM

My addco bar wasnt metal to metal. It had bushings and its been opn my car for 3 years as well. The thing is from time to time it squeaks.
Old 06-04-2003 | 10:28 AM

I know they may be expensive, but Stillen parts, seem to be really well built. I have never had a problem with any of them. I've seen poor reviews of the y-pipe, but I don't have that.
Old 06-05-2003 | 11:56 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

How in the world did you install it?
That bar fit's perfect and mine hasn't made a sound in 3 years.

The Stillen mounts are junk. Have you ever seen a piece of suspension equipment not mounted with some kind of bushing or bearing? The Stillen bar is a crude hard metal to metal mount. It looks like an Erector set. It's only expected to make noise if it's got to move at all. It's a poor design and they get a fortune for it too.
I installed mine the way that it suppost to be and mine does not make any noise at all.For your info I had own 3 Maxima total myself.The 1st one I got the Stillen sway bar,2nd with Addco sway bar,and now my 3rd one I choose Stillen sway bar again.You can hate all you want about the Stillen sway bar,but the Stillen one was very well made and fit like it come with the car.Of course that was my $.02.
Old 06-06-2003 | 08:00 PM

I've had an addco for 9 months now and only occasionally hear little pops from back there. But it's only ever when I'm _really_ going at it around a turn, and I'm not 100% sure it's the sway bar. I figure as hard as I'm turning, I'd probably hear some sort of noise even w/o the sway bar. Everyday driving, it's quiet. FWIW, I had no fit problems with the Addco bar. Easy as pie to install, didn't even jack the car up (I'm not lowered).
GMT
Old 06-06-2003 | 08:45 PM

What is the difference between the Progress and Addco bars? which one is thicker and where can you find an Addco? I've been looking all over the place and saw it once but never found it again lol

thanks
Old 06-07-2003 | 07:34 AM

Not sure what the difference between the two products is. Looking at custommaxima.com, they say the progress one is better than the one they used to offer (the addco). Can't say I really see much difference in the picture, though the mounting hardware looks maybe a little better on the Progress. (There have been some quality control issues with the Addco - the first set of bolts I got had one with messed up threads on it - but they are quick to send you replacement parts if you need it.) The Addco bar is 7/8" thick, maybe someone with a Progress can say how thick it is. I'm not sure where you can get the Addco any more, it seems to have been pretty thoroughly replaced by the Progress.
GMT
Old 06-07-2003 | 08:04 AM

I just saw an Addco one at shox.com for a decent price.. is there any other place to get a Progress one besides custommaxima.com? I heard they take for ever and a day to ship stuff...
Old 06-07-2003 | 11:05 AM

Is progress really better?
Old 06-08-2003 | 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Popping Noise from rear of vehicle

I have two Max both of which are 97's. I too had the same problem, except I was able to fix the problem by taking it to a trusted mechanic. He spent three hours looking for something loose to no avail, then finally resorted to tightening all of the suspension parts with his impact wrench. He wasn't able to tell me exactly which suspension bolt fixed the problem but he eliminated the "Crickets". Now the problem has reared its ugly head on my other car...I guess it's time for another trip to the shop!!! Hope this helps...The problem can be resolved, don't live with the noise!!!!