4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car Broken Into @shop (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's not against the shop owner...he has insurance for his business and lot...as homeowners carry homeowners insurance. If someone were to break their ankle in my driveway...my homeowners insurance covers it. I am sure that lots (dealership, bodyshop etc.. have to carry some form of insurance. Call a lawyer see if this thing has a good chance, and get your car out of there..I would be hesitant to do business there, and worry about some bolts being missing.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:02 PM

A classic example of you've been owned by the shop. I think it's complete bull**** that shops continue to get away with things like this today. I've seen it happen to many times and there's certain things you have to be careful about in this day and age. First of all, be aware of where you bring your car to be serviced, not so much the dealership, but mechanics shop's, car audio shop, or any other kind of installer. In my area, there has been many cases where the shop actually "installs" the systems, rims/tires, etc. and at the same time they make a copy of your key. Well, without your knowledge they now have access to your car, a few weeks later you might find your stuff is missing. Second, never ever drop of your car at a place overnight. I had my car tinted and had a system installed and the place actually asked me if I would like to drop it off before I left for the weekend so I could have it when I got back. I laughed like hell. You need to be careful these days, it's best if your mechanics and installers are close friends or people you know so you don't get taken for a ride.
Old 06-03-2003, 05:55 PM

This situation just simply SUX!
Old 06-03-2003, 07:58 PM

i think i would've hurt many random people if anything like this ever happened to me...i'm sorry dude, hope everything pans out to your favor.

J
Old 06-03-2003, 08:52 PM
be the change u want2C

Also one more thing, What would a robber do with a Clutch, How would an ordinary dumb rober steal a clutch for, Especially how this such a coincadance!!!
Old 06-04-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by Ni_Nos_Maxima
Also one more thing, What would a robber do with a Clutch, How would an ordinary dumb rober steal a clutch for, Especially how this such a coincadance!!!

One final update: This is gonna cost me out of my pocket $675+ not to mention the fact that I am getting my tranny rebuilt.

-$200 Radar Detector
-$300 Exedy Clutch which insurance isn't covering!
-$100 deductable
-$50 overnight shipping on Exedy Clutch
-$25 Gratitude check to a friend that is shipping his Exedy since MaxxTunning will not return my calls or my E-mails.
-And I'm positive that more expenses will come.

I wish that I could say that this money was going to an MEVI with a JWT chip, new tires and a few cases of Yuengling/Corona would do the trick too!

Old 06-04-2003, 07:26 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Why are they not covering the radar detector and clutch? Were you able to provide them with proof of purchase?

Alternately, would your renters/homeowners policy cover it instead?
Old 06-04-2003, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf
It's not against the shop owner...he has insurance for his business and lot...as homeowners carry homeowners insurance. If someone were to break their ankle in my driveway...my homeowners insurance covers it. I am sure that lots (dealership, bodyshop etc.. have to carry some form of insurance. Call a lawyer see if this thing has a good chance, and get your car out of there..I would be hesitant to do business there, and worry about some bolts being missing.
That what I have been trying to establish to bad a lot of people on this board don't have common sense. With statement Like this...
Ahaha go take a law class fool, LOL go park a car on someones property ill come smash your window, then you go tell the owner to fix it and watch him laugh at you ahahahaha
And this
And the shop is NOT liable. How can the shop be liable for a car parked on there property, I could see if it was inside or in a lock up behind the shop, but not just sitting there. Same thing with a car parked in a parking lot. If it gets busted you gonna sue the store? you could try... but no.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:23 PM

HNIC your the idiot that calls my stupid eventhough you had no idea what you are talking about.. THE SHOP IS NOT LIABLE ONCE AGAIN f**cking moron go to college and learn something.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by ILoveMyMax
HNIC your the idiot that calls my stupid eventhough you had no idea what you where talking about.. THE SHOP IS NOT LIABLE ONCE AGAIN f**cking moron go to college and learn something.
College been, their done that all-american beeotch oh your still Stupid
Old 06-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Sound like a setup. When you drop off your car to a body shop, take all your valuables and mods out. Common sense people.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95

LoL at least I know what im talking about before I post, oh and online degrees in culinary dont count when talking about a law situation.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:56 PM

Two things that aren't covered im my insurance are the Exedy clutch and radar detector. The two combined cost about $500 and i have a $500 homeowners deductable.

Do you guys know of ANY possible ways to get compensated for the clutch/detector?
Old 06-06-2003, 02:04 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

You could ask the owner for a break on the labor charge or something. At the end of the day the thief robbed *you*, not the owner of the shop. Anything he does to help you out is a bonus.

And again, the shop is not liable unless they; a) knew that parking the car there overnight placed it at such high a risk of crime that they would not have parked their own car there or b) were involved in the theft.

If it's a) then take them to civil court. If it's b) take them to criminal court. If you cannot prove (a) by preponderance of the evidence, or (b) beyond reasonable doubt, then you are SOL.

Sucks, but that's life. I feel for you man - I just lst $4k in tools from my workshop in a break-in...
Old 06-06-2003, 05:54 PM

1) eems to me they would at least pay for the clutch just to keep customers
and 2) I don't think it would be that odd for some guy to steal a clutch, he could look in the back seat and say hey that looks expensive, I'll sell it on ebay. And that be it, or he could just know some stuff about cars.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:50 PM
† ErV †

Was yours the only car that was robbed? Or was it only your car there at the time of the crime? Just wondering...

Hm my employer and school both put up these huge signs stating they are not liable for any property damage. Funny, as 3 weeks before they put them, my door handle was pulled clean off, but they couldn't open the door I am sure I wasn't the only one targetted since I never filed a complaint with management about a door handle (go prove it so its pointless).

Old 06-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by H.N.I.C.95

There, not their. They must have not taught grammar at your "college."
Old 06-06-2003, 10:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema

There, not their. They must have not taught grammar at your "college."