4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nissan reliability? HA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003 | 11:33 PM
will fly for food

Nissan reliability? HA

Ok, my car's been in the shop 4 times in 1 month... it's there now actually. It's a 99 Maxima SE with 56K miles on it. My stealership will fix a 'problem', and I'll get it back and a couple of days after I get it back, it tears up again. Anyways, the problem is that it wont stay in O/D at highway speeds, and it shifts very hard when this problem is happening. What should i tell these fools so that they'll get it done? I mean 4 times in a month, especially for the same problem is ridiculous!
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What I would do is go to another dealership in your area, even if you have to drive 25-30 miles to get to it, DO it...there is only one nissan dealership in my area I would ever bring my car to and its 20 minutes away..and I have 2 other ones within 5 min..

-matt
Old 06-02-2003 | 11:37 PM
Sports Button FTW

tranny problems? dam thats the worst...its not a nissan maxima thing, although 4th gen trannies are notorious for havin problems in general. I would see if they could replace the tranny or something, i mean 4 times in a month? they gotta get the point...
Old 06-03-2003 | 01:45 PM
will fly for food

Originally posted by matty
What I would do is go to another dealership in your area, even if you have to drive 25-30 miles to get to it, DO it...there is only one nissan dealership in my area I would ever bring my car to and its 20 minutes away..and I have 2 other ones within 5 min..

-matt
I went to a dealer that was 700 miles from home for the 3rd trip to the shop (stupid tranny broke while i was on vacation)
Old 06-03-2003 | 01:57 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's probably the tranny temp sensor thats going bad.
Old 06-03-2003 | 02:14 PM

If I have to bring my car to the shop 4 times in 1 month for the transmission, and they cant fix it, I would stand there and tell the Service Advisor that I want a BRAND NEW transmission installed, and I would want it done IMMEDIATELY..... If he refuses, do the same to the General Manager of the Dealership, and do it in the showroom so all the customers can hear it..... Give'm Hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:13 PM

RUN, do not walk to another dealer !!! Those people are are seriously incompentent and it appears you are just wasting your time with them.
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:26 PM

More and more I'm hearing of Stealerships that "fix" a car, by diagnosing with voodoo tactics and just plain carelessness.

A day or two later, the problem comes right back, because they never fixed it in the first place.

Of all the Major brands of cars out there, I'm beginning to think Nissan has the worst mechanics of all.

That's why I take my car to the local Infiniti Dealership. WAY more competent.
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:42 PM

infiniti dealership, good call ole chap. one stealership at least notorious for customer service. we have a 99 i30 and they still call every 5 months to ask how the car is driving
Old 06-03-2003 | 04:45 PM

Originally posted by jlsund
infiniti dealership, good call ole chap. one stealership at least notorious for customer service. we have a 99 i30 and they still call every 5 months to ask how the car is driving
3 times I just came by to look at cars (G35 ) and/or buy parts, and 2 of those times they put my car on a lift and did a quick lookover for me without even charging.

And both times, they actually said "Looks good, everything's fine".

Unlike other Stealerships that would make up 100 problems for you to spend money on, these guys were simply being nice.

IanS
Old 06-03-2003 | 05:00 PM

Old 06-03-2003 | 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

hmmm

I duno, but everything I know about Nissans they are extremely reliable... our auto trannies dont hold up very well to abuse and mods, but I've seen plenty, driven by people I know who arent into fixing up cars, racing, or abusing them they're at 120k easy not talking about one person... but about 4 of them so its not really a Nissan thing.... you wana talk abuot trannies... talk about mitsubishi

now Nissan dealers.... are basically hopeless I have found good parts departments but I've never found a Nissan dealership with a service department to write home about...

try another Nissan dealer, an Infiniti dealer, or even a local shop that you trust
Old 06-03-2003 | 05:14 PM
Maxima95Tuner

I go to the nissan dealership all the time to pick up parts and have them look over the car. They are very helpful, and dont make up a list of problems for me. Brown and Brown Nissan of Mesa gets my thumbs up. (although, the one closer to my house is just a bunch of snobs who dont care)
Old 06-03-2003 | 06:05 PM
will fly for food

Well my stealership is a good one, from the people I have talked to, they are the best in this area for service. They have been nothing but courteous to us, they just can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it. The latest thing they think it is, is a damaged wire... took them a while to figure it out but HOPEFULLY this will be the last time it's in the shop with this problem. I also have to say the Beau Townsend dealership in Dayton, OH SUCKS. They broke my shifter and refuse to take the blame, so I'm having to fork out $225 for a new shifter because they broke the O/D button. Would an Infiniti dealer work with a Nissan warranty?
Old 06-03-2003 | 08:54 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
tranny problems? dam thats the worst...its not a nissan maxima thing, although 4th gen trannies are notorious for havin problems in general. I would see if they could replace the tranny or something, i mean 4 times in a month? they gotta get the point...

You talking about automatic or manual transmissions? I have heard about 3rd generation Automatics not being so reliable (my friend had the auto in his 1994 Max rebuilt last year at 120k miles), but I haven't heard of too many 4th gen automatics with problems [except for heavily modded guys who beat on it a lot]. Mine's about to hit 166,000 miles, and still running strong...

Dealerships are such a pain in the ***, I hope you haven't lost any money on those losers - if you're under warranty, go somewhere else...best of luck to you!

I'm curious to know how you'd be recieved if you took a Maxima to an Infiniti dealer...anybody actually done this?
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:08 PM

Don't let the dealership beat you. Keep at em and give 'em hell. Go up the chain as far as possible. Certified SAE mechanics (which they damn well better have and advertise too) should be able to fix this problem without having you come back even a second time. My dealer here sucks and is basically known to be a crook. That ****es me off these deslerships that give Nissan a bad name.
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Nissan reliability? HA

I am having the EXACT same problem with my '95, tranny downshifts out of O/D only at highway speeds. I too have had fights with my dealership who can't find or diagnose the problem effectively.

All they say is that there are no problems based on what codes they can pull from the TCU, and shrug me off. However, i dont have the luxury of my tranny still being under warranty.

didn't you post previously saying your problem was fixed?

"FINALLY got my car back.... here's what was wrong 'Gasket-Oil Pan' part #31397-80x01 ... 'Solenoid Contro (transmission?' part #31940-80x05 and they changed the tranny fluid... good luck with yours!

btw, I don't have the prices on this stuff because they didn't list any due to the warranty covering it all"

ultimately, it looks like it still isn't workin' sheesh.

Hang in there, and lemmie know when you get your tranny issue resolved, i'd love to know more info about your problem, and solution if you ever get one...

Cheers, good luck.
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:49 PM

When I had my Altima, I brought it in there for an oil change, I also needed power steering fluid, and some other fluids topped off (which they advertise that they do). As I waited 45 mins for this to be done, it was getting late so they put the 350z's in the garage, I was having a cigarette outside as they did a couple donuts in the parking lot before putting it in the garage, and then I got my car back, and a day later I still noticed that my power-steering was empty and the other fluids were low as well - I topped them off myself, and promised myself to never get my car serviced there again. (All Brands Nissan in Hackensack, NJ)
Old 06-03-2003 | 09:56 PM

I don't know I always found Nissan dealerships good except for the salesman. Especially now that I have a 40% discount on parts, so if your in the IL area, I'll hook it up. 20 for being in a autos class and 20 from my friend, he works in the parts/services area
Old 06-03-2003 | 11:14 PM
will fly for food

Re: Re: Nissan reliability? HA

Originally posted by rluckas
I am having the EXACT same problem with my '95, tranny downshifts out of O/D only at highway speeds. I too have had fights with my dealership who can't find or diagnose the problem effectively.

All they say is that there are no problems based on what codes they can pull from the TCU, and shrug me off. However, i dont have the luxury of my tranny still being under warranty.

didn't you post previously saying your problem was fixed?

"FINALLY got my car back.... here's what was wrong 'Gasket-Oil Pan' part #31397-80x01 ... 'Solenoid Contro (transmission?' part #31940-80x05 and they changed the tranny fluid... good luck with yours!

btw, I don't have the prices on this stuff because they didn't list any due to the warranty covering it all"

ultimately, it looks like it still isn't workin' sheesh.

Hang in there, and lemmie know when you get your tranny issue resolved, i'd love to know more info about your problem, and solution if you ever get one...

Cheers, good luck.
HAHA, yeah, that was after the first visit to the shop. Since then they have replaced the solenoid 2 times, and the transmission control unit... now they're replacing a wire...(why couldnt they find it the first time?) It's truly ridiculous, but I'll let you know IF it EVER gets fixed
Old 06-04-2003 | 12:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

a wire? just a wire? after all that??? hmmm... maybe it the throttle position sensor, or cable or something... sheesh. keep us posted!
Old 06-04-2003 | 12:57 PM

Usually ,the dealerships are not into rebuilding automatic transmissions.They usually do replace them .In your situation,I would ask pure and simple for a new transmission.You are too close to the warranty expiration,so talk loud n clear NOW. Work your way up to the dealer s owner,and even further ,to the Nissan Consumer affairs. Good luck with your results.
Old 06-04-2003 | 01:43 PM

It's funny cause my mother's '95 SE (auto) has over 250,000 miles on it with the stock tranny. And my dad's 5-speed '95 SE has over 150,000 and the bearings haven't gone bad yet. Maybe cause they were babied in their younger years. Yea, that info was a 'lil bit O/T but just thought you guys should know.

Edit: Neither of these trannies have ever needed service.
Old 06-04-2003 | 02:50 PM

the best thing to do is buy stick next time. For now though, I'd recommend going to a shop tht you trust. I have never fixed my car in a dealership and never will (exept when I get my NSX). Find a good and go there (try for someone to bring you in, if you just come of the street, they'll rip you off, at least that's how it works in brooklyn). good luck witht he tranny
Old 06-08-2003 | 07:04 PM
will fly for food

Well... after getting it back less than one week ago...the car is going BACK to the shop for the 5th...count 'em 1-2-3-4-5 time in 1 month...this time the entire transmission I believe is TOAST. It wont go when the car is in D, have to start of with 1, and can only go to 2, if I put it in D, my rpms just rev up high and I go nowhere.... SCREW NISSAN, I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE (unless I get my car back and it never breaks again)
Old 06-08-2003 | 08:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 95 just turned the odometer past 100,000.My auto transmission shifts smooth,and I've never had one single issue with it.I have it serviced and fluid changed religiously every 15 k miles.Of course I don't flog it like "Ricky Racer" either.
These trannies are so damn expensive,its worth keeping up on them.
Old 06-08-2003 | 08:48 PM
will fly for food

mine must be ghetto because I take very good care of my cars... just have the worst luck in the world!
Old 06-08-2003 | 10:03 PM

can i ask why you'd go back to the same one a 3rd time let alone a 4th?
Old 06-09-2003 | 12:01 AM
EZ

I go to Mossy Nissan in Kearny Mesa (San Diego). They are always up front with me and no bu!!****. I've always had good work from them too. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-09-2003 | 06:58 AM
will fly for food

I go to the same one because the other ones anywhere near here are just a bunch of bumbling country idiots who have even less of an idea of what they are doing
Old 06-09-2003 | 07:45 AM

Man,that s too much...I would absolutely contact Nissan Of America ,and complain to them...Don t let them slide until they ll install a brand new transmission.Not a rebuilt one...A BN one. And also ask them to cover the car s drivetrain up to 100k.Don t let anybody step on you man.Let them know exactly what you think.Hope you ll keep us posted.
Old 06-09-2003 | 07:51 AM
will fly for food

contact Nissan of America by mail, or phone? And whats the number to call? Will they be willing to cover the car to 100K since this is the 5th transmission problem in just over a month?
Old 06-10-2003 | 04:48 AM

its amazing what a letter can do. a friend of mine had to replace the head gasket on his subaru after like 50,000 miles. so he wrote subaru and said, hey, i kept this thing up, theres no way the gasket should go that soon.

they paid half of it.

Fight it man, just go up the line