4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

'96 SE on the D/L

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 11:18 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

'96 SE on the D/L - (Now with manual tranny teardown pics!)

Dunno if you guys remeber me asking a couple times about funky noises my tranny has been making over the last few weeks... Kinda like a grinding/rubbing noise when the clutch is released...

One the way home from work yesterday I sdtarted to get some nasty clutch chatter when setting off, and after stopping outside my house to pick up the mail it only just made it onto my drive before chattering so much it woudl hardly drive. Pulled it around to the workshop at the back of my house, and took all my stuff out.

Hopefully it's just a clutch job, but I suspect the tranny input shaft bearing is hosed causing slop in the input shaft.

Does anyone know how to check for this? Is there a specific deflection or endplay range I can test for with the dial guage?

If the tranny shows up as bad I'll just rebuild it there. I've rebuilt autos in the past so the manual shouldn't be too hard. Anyoen out there have an FSM they can sell/lend me for the tranny rebuild procedure? (or photocopy ) When I rebuilt my wife's auto her car was out of comission for 6 weeks while I waited for parts/tools etc. I hope to have it finished within a week, barring any major screwups.
Old 06-07-2003, 04:09 PM

Ok - after 6 hours of work I have the tranny on the workbench. I rotated the input shaft by hand - it's making the same noise. Input shaft bearings - gotta be.

Gonna strip it down tonight and have a list of needed parts for monday's trip to the dealer. Aiming to have the car back on the road with rebuit tranny by next monday...

BTW - The factory Y-pipe is rusted/busted at the flex section. Guess I'll *have* to get a budget instead. (schweeet! )
Old 06-07-2003, 04:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Glad to hear things are going well for you so far, and I'm sure that broken flex-section only made your day better.
-CYrus
Old 06-08-2003, 01:43 PM

Bad News: Input bearing is *wasted. Shards of torn up bearing metal everywhere...

Good news: The rest of the tranny isw in good shape - the rest f the bearings are as new, so I don't have to replcae them, don't have to worry about preload etc and the whole rebuild will cost me $30 plus 15 hours of work. Versus $1900 from Nissan...

If anyone here had rebuilt a tranny before .... I have the tranny on the bench - both halves seperated. There is a pin with a flat screwdriver head recessed into the outside fo the case (NOT the pivot for the shifter linkage) that provides the pivot point for the reverse idler selector arm... I cannot remove it. I have removed the little dowel pin, but attempts to turn this pin are proving fruitless and it's actually starting to damage the screw head. How do I remove this?
Old 06-08-2003, 02:54 PM
Jedi Knight

nice man...you've got more gumption than I have...never tried to rebuild a tranny...gotta put that on my list of things to do...guess...I should buy a used one...and do that...if my tranny ever goes again!...great to see another DIY'er
Old 06-08-2003, 02:55 PM

Where are you in Ohio?
I've got a FSM...although it sounds like you're well underway.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:17 PM

I'm in Delaware. How many pages are there to the tranny rebuild. Any chance I could borrow it? ;-)
Old 06-08-2003, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Scruit
I'm in Delaware. How many pages are there to the tranny rebuild. Any chance I could borrow it? ;-)
Let me get it out of the garage...if there's not a ton of pages, i'll just scan them. Is that ok?
Old 06-08-2003, 04:29 PM

Sure! That's would be a great help...

I found the problem. Pics soon... I now have the tranny in a million pieces in my workshop - I'll need a little guidance nailing it all back together...
Old 06-08-2003, 05:05 PM

Here's pics of what I have so far...

Manual Trans Teardown Pics