4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

98 Maxima SE Blinking Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

98 Maxima SE Blinking Airbag Light

Hi all,
Perhaps some of you have experienced this problem before. My 98 Maxima SE has 42k miles. Yesterday I left the door open for a bit to do some spring cleaning. This morning when I started the car, out of nowhere the air bag warning light turned on. Any ideas what this is, and whether or not I can reset it. Some ppl have suggested the "turn key to on, press door sensor 5-7 times within 7 seconds trick" however I can't seem to get that to work. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Lo
Old 06-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: 98 Maxima SE Blinking Airbag Light

Originally posted by lcheung
Hi all,
Perhaps some of you have experienced this problem before. My 98 Maxima SE has 42k miles. Yesterday I left the door open for a bit to do some spring cleaning. This morning when I started the car, out of nowhere the air bag warning light turned on. Any ideas what this is, and whether or not I can reset it. Some ppl have suggested the "turn key to on, press door sensor 5-7 times within 7 seconds trick" however I can't seem to get that to work. Your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Lo
Update, I was able to succeddfully reset the air bag light by performing the following steps:

Open the driver's door. Note the rubber covered button, a button which is
pressed by the door when the door is closed. This is the Driver's Door
Switch (DDS).

Turn the ignition from OFF to ON. Press the DDS at least 5 times within 7
seconds after turning the ignition switch ON. Turn the ignition OFF.
Start the CAR.

This did not work for me however I discovered that it worked when I had both front doors opened and performed the steps above. Light went off and hasn't come back yet.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:40 PM

worked for me too, good job
do you think the airbag will still deploy though? maybe it just forced the light off without solving the problem that turned it on in the first place
Old 06-10-2003, 03:55 AM

Sweeet....going to go try it with both doors open, I've been able to reset it in the past with the one door open, but haven't been able to this time around. Hopefully the two door open trick works.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by elcid
Sweeet....going to go try it with both doors open, I've been able to reset it in the past with the one door open, but haven't been able to this time around. Hopefully the two door open trick works.

This is like the 3rd time that the airbag light went on for me. It always comes on after I have left the door open slightly with the keys still in the ignition. The last time it came on for me, I had the keys in the ignition on the off position. I had both doors open, but my driver's door was not closed all the way. After I cleaned my car, the next time I started it I got the dreaded airbag light. I used to be able to reset via 1 door open, however since the other door was open when the airbag light came on this time I tried resetting it with both doors open. And it worked. I was dreading going to the dealer to pay 1000$ to fix an airbag problem that I know is not a problem.

Regarding if the airbag would deploy in an accident. If all these steps do not make the blinking light go away, then there probrably is something wrong with the airbag system. However, the above steps are just resetting the system so if the light goes off after the reset then I'm confident that the airbag system is still functional.

It would be interesting to see if anybody can duplicate the problem and purposely play with the doors and ignition to make the airbag light blink. You figure if there is a reset combination, there must be a "go into test mode" combination.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:38 AM

Well opened both doors and the light is gone! Wicked!!! I tried like 10 times with only the one door open. This should be added to teh FAQ that you need both doors open on some resets. Anywasy huge thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The fix worked for me!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought my 98 all of...10 hours ago (so reallllllly new here). Thanks for the air bag light fix. Was driving me crazy.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Doing the reset sequence, IF I understand the way this works, just causes the Air Bag controller computer to reset itself, do a diagnositic, and if it passes, not blink the air bag light all the time. It seems that it may get confused sometimes (electrical noise maybe?) and think something in the system is bad and light the indicator lamp. My car also had this happen when I first bought it in Aug '08. The above trick reset the computer and the light has stayed out over a year now.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM

just get a airbag module from a car that was never hit or has no blinking light swap the module and your good to go with it
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It did the trick no more blinking light !!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Just got me a 96 maxima SE 5 speed on Monday with a flashing air bag light. I just tried the two doors open trick AND IT WORKED!! Man that light was annoying. Now to get rid of the check engine light next!!!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
FEELS GOOD TO BE GANGSTA

Man...I been dealing with that friggin' light for 2 years. Old *** thread but thanks OP.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 AM

i have that problem too!!! Just to note that i changed my front bumper... maybe that's the reason it came on the first place??? anyhoooo i'm gonna try it right now
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I am going to give the "both doors open trick" a shot here when I go on my lunch break. My AIR BAG light started flashing about three weeks ago and it is really annoying. I read the old thread on this issue and gave it a shot with only my drivers door open… it did not do the trick. Luckily, my family runs a Nissan dealership in Kentucky, and over Thanksgiving I took it in and had them hook it up to the diagnostic tool. I was told that it was throwing an error on the passenger-side air bag module. He cleared the code and the light stayed off for about a week. Then, about a week later it came back on again. I wonder if the both doors open trick will work because the error is on the passenger side? Seems to make sense… but there is only one way to find out. I was told that a new air bag module to replace the existing one throwing the code would cost me $500+!!! If the both doors open trick does not work I’m taking apart my instrument cluster and disconnecting the light. My passengers will need to be sure to buckle up. I’ll update if I get it to work.

Last edited by 1999MAXGLE; 12-11-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I tried it with both doors open three seperate times... with no luck. Looks like I will be disconnecting the wire this weekend.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by 1999MAXGLE
I was told that a new air bag module to replace the existing one throwing the code would cost me $500+!!!
$500? Who told you that?
If there is a problem with your airbag system (which it sounds like there is) the above "tricks" won't help you. If the Air Bag light is flashing, that means there is or was a problem. Pressing the button 7 times does not reset the light, it changes it from "User Mode" to "Diagnostic Mode".

From the FSM:

There are four flash codes in "User Mode" upon turning the ignition on:
1. On for 7 seconds, then off - No malfunction detected.
2. On for .5 sec off for .5 sec, repeat - Malfunction detected.
3. On - Airbag deployed.
4. Off - Control Module or Warning Lamp shorted.

In "Diagnostic Mode" (after pressing the DDS 7 times in 5 seconds) the flash codes are:
1. Off for 2 seconds, On for 3 seconds, repeat - Intermittent problem has been detected in the past. (Light should reset after turning key off).
2. Off for 2 seconds, On for 3 seconds, Off for 2 seconds, X flashes, repeat - Malfunction indicated by value of X below:
2 - Driver's air bag module circuit is out of order.
7 - Diagnosis sensor is out of order.
8 - Front passenger air bag module circuit is out of order.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 PM

okay, lemme be nice and tell anyone having problems with the air bag warning lights to check all connections under the seats and to move the passenger and driver seats in a few diffrent directions. worked for me after 2 hours of effing around, the pass side curtain which is prolly the code youll get is notorious for these little hiccups.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:34 AM

I did the same thing when my airbag light came on and it worked
Old 12-14-2009, 09:16 AM

the airbag light on my 05 nissan altima blinks does anyone know how to fix it!!!!i know is not a maxima ........
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Air Bag Light Blinking 1999 Infiniti I30

Reached under seat to grab something and boom it blinking ..

The 2 front door open trick with pushing the dds button 7 times works like a champ.
Called Dealer wanted $180.00 or $95.00 to reset srs computer. WTF / What a bunch of J/O's

Fixed in 2 min with maxima.org / Thank you soooooooo much...
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1996 Maxima:

does anyone know where the airbag module is? Mine was pronounced dead by the dealer so I'm going to try the ebay route to replace it.

All suggestions, warnings, recommendations welcome.

If you have a camera please shoot a piccie of the module and post as well so I know what I'm looking for (since I only have 30 days to return I want to be prepped and ready to go when the module arrives).

Thanks!

DougM
Old 08-17-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by dougm
1996 Maxima:

does anyone know where the airbag module is? Mine was pronounced dead by the dealer so I'm going to try the ebay route to replace it.

If you have a camera please shoot a piccie of the module and post as well so I know what I'm looking for (since I only have 30 days to return I want to be prepped and ready to go when the module arrives).

Thanks!

DougM
Are you sure your module is bad? Have you tried all of the org's recommendation first before taking your dealers word of most time needless repairs and replacements.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 AM

1996 Maxima:

Thanks!

DougM
If you want to know, it is located under the armrest. You have to remove it to access it.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 AM

pretty interesting imma try that trick 2morrow on my maxima
i have that same problem the air bag light is flashing
Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by najee1062
Are you sure your module is bad? Have you tried all of the org's recommendation first before taking your dealers word of most time needless repairs and replacements.
Thanks for your replies - I've tried the above tests with the following results:

1) turn key to on position with driver and passenger door open, press the button 7 times in 5 seconds, turn off key, start car. No change
2) turn key to on position with driver and passenger door open, press the button 7 times in 5 seconds, wait (diagnostic mode). Airbag light blinks slowly, maybe 2 seconds on 2 seconds off, but no X flashes to indicate error code.
Turn off ignition, start car. Airbag light stays off. turn off, restart car, airbag light blinks again.

all input is welcome.

Thank you,

DougM
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Thanks for your replies - I've tried the above tests with the following results:

1) turn key to on position with driver and passenger door open, press the button 7 times in 5 seconds, turn off key, start car. No change
2) turn key to on position with driver and passenger door open, press the button 7 times in 5 seconds, wait (diagnostic mode). Airbag light blinks slowly, maybe 2 seconds on 2 seconds off, but no X flashes to indicate error code.
Turn off ignition, start car. Airbag light stays off. turn off, restart car, airbag light blinks again.

all input is welcome.

Thank you,

DougM

okay heres what you do because i did this 3 nights ago with no problem.
1. open driver side door (your door)
2. place key in on position
3. press the door sensor button about 6 times within 7 seconds. (quickly i dont think its a specific number so anywhere from 5-7)
4.directly from on, turn the key to start
5. tell your friends your a magician because your light dissapeared

hope i helped ;]
Old 09-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by elcid
Well opened both doors and the light is gone! Wicked!!! I tried like 10 times with only the one door open. This should be added to teh FAQ that you need both doors open on some resets. Anywasy huge thanks!

the trick worked for me as well but only with the one door open. worked like a charm!!!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

That actually worked for a day, but then the light started blinking again. I went ahead and got a new airbag computer from eBay but now the airbag light is on steady, which indicates an airbag deployment.

Can you reset these modules or are they toast once the airbag has deployed?

I tried the 7 door button clicks thing with the new module, but it didn't have any effect.

Thanks,

DougM
Old 09-25-2010, 08:01 PM

That actually worked for a day, but then the light started blinking again. I went ahead and got a new airbag computer from eBay but now the airbag light is on steady, which indicates an airbag deployment.

Can you reset these modules or are they toast once the airbag has deployed?

I tried the 7 door button clicks thing with the new module, but it didn't have any effect.

Thanks,

DougM
if it was only blinking there is no need to change computer, turn diagnostic mode and read codes ( with old module). thats will give you idea what is wrong. all information are in this forum. good luck
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

worked for me today Thanks for this fix.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 AM

Hmm Ill try this. Have the same issue after my DE-k swap.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Ima try this
Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i just tried this trick and it is working so far. i even cranked the car several times for about 5-6 minutes at a time and the light never came back on. thank you! that light was starting to tick me off. maybe it will stay off.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:11 PM

THANK YOU ima try this do you think its the same for a 95 maxima?
Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM

If your airbag light won't go away, try this. It's an easy fix.

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...er-switch.html
Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM

mine does it but its a bad coil in the airbag
Old 09-20-2011, 01:37 PM

not worth replacing lo
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wow I have 98 maxima and my airbag light was blinking since 2 years, I just ignored it, Today I tried resetting using one door opened, did not worked. Opened two front door, did not worked, opened third door and tried again, voila..light is gone and never came back..thank you so much
Old 07-11-2020, 05:05 PM

Press 5 times within 7 seconds did not work(one door or two doors open)

Originally Posted by lcheung
Hi all,

-Lo
i tried the press door sensor 5 times within 7 seconds a few times with driver door open. It would set to diagnostic mode, then turn OFF. And retried, it then went back to flashing faster.

then tried with both front doors open, went back to diagnostic mode.

Checked under both seats.. passenger seat connector was hanging so I mounted it back..

still have Air Bag light flashing.

my driver door sensor rubber thing is ripped off.. could this be the issue?

Quick Reply: 98 Maxima SE Blinking Airbag Light