4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Integra gsr or maxima se???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Integra gsr or maxima se???

I have been saving up for a car a long time now, and currently have 12,000 to spend. I've narrowed down the cars I want to a 1994-1999 integra gsr or a 95-99 maxima se. The se was rated at 14.8 i think quarter mile while the teg was around 15.2. I plan to do the usual bolt ons and would love a supercharger. With all this modding should I go with the gsr or with a maxima. What would the max's quarter time be say with intake, exhaust, y-pipe, and a supercharger. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Old 06-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Get the max.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Bacon Lover

Definitely the Max. Besides, just like all of us joke on here, you can poke fun at people that they got beat by a "family sedan."
Old 06-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

instead of being beaten by one
Old 06-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

With those mods you should be able to hit at least 13.5 by mistake on street tires. Definitely get the MAX.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:03 PM

people on here run a nitrous kit, intake and exhaust, and valbe body mod and get 12's w/ there auto's
Old 06-08-2003, 01:10 PM

You think anyone on a Maxima board is going to tell you to get the gsr?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Integra gsr or maxima se???

Originally posted by rob00
I have been saving up for a car a long time now, and currently have 12,000 to spend. I've narrowed down the cars I want to a 1994-1999 integra gsr or a 95-99 maxima se. The se was rated at 14.8 i think quarter mile while the teg was around 15.2. I plan to do the usual bolt ons and would love a supercharger. With all this modding should I go with the gsr or with a maxima. What would the max's quarter time be say with intake, exhaust, y-pipe, and a supercharger. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
The 95-99 SE was rated at 15.2 by the mags I believe. But magazine racing aside, people have gotten anywhere from 14.7 - 15.2 bone stock on a 95-99 SE 5-spd.

The GSR is a quick car out of the box and has lots of potential and probably a bigger aftermarket. I think however that the 92 (?) GSR was the quick one.

But I personally would rather ride in a nice car like the Maxima over an Integra. I have seen some nice ones but not my style... as far as performance, you can make either of them go fast if you got the money.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:39 PM

i agree go with the max, what else would you expect us to say on a maxima forum lol, lately i've noticed that the people that own maxima's and mod them feel like their more part of somthing diferent then the rest where as say honda people are more in compition with eachother because theres just so many modded hondas around. thats just my take on things though, i also noticed that most arent aware of what the cars acuall capable of and think its just a slow family car which makes it more fun when you beat them
Old 06-08-2003, 01:43 PM
ChristheNite

I was in the same predicament, but after looking at about 5-6 GSR's I realized that they have all been driven hard EVERYDAY and most were wrecked. The Maxima is a GREAT car and maxima drivers are truely a unique breed - we dont kill our cars. Not to mention the max's can run to 200,000 miles with regular matinence which is pretty awesome. Ask around and you'll see why the maxima is truely one of the greatest v6 grocery getting sleepers ever created...

just my $.02

Old 06-08-2003, 01:43 PM

I've driven both in 5 speeds. The GSR is TQless in the city, but alot of fun on the highway. the gearing and VTEC work well in autobahn mode. The GSR is also a very small car. It's practicality may wear thin pretty quick. I've seen a Teg Type R do 13.9 NA, but that's not a GSR, which has 20 less hp, I beleive. But Hondas being Hondas, you can swap motors like nothing.

The Maxima is fast everywhere. City, Highway etc. Nice and roomy. You won't outgrow it too quickly. with all the mods you mentioned you should be able to get 14.1-13.6 out of it.

DW
Old 06-08-2003, 01:56 PM

Maxima Maxima Maxima...I took the beautiful plunge of complete Maxima Nirvana, and have absolutely no regrets...they're marvelous cars. I'm never getting rid of the "Mega Max" hehe

Just my 2 cents

J
Old 06-08-2003, 01:59 PM

The problem with building a N/A four cylinder is the closer you get to maxing out it's power potential, the more it's practicality and drivability goes out the window. Around town driving becomes more of a chore. Revving to 5K in each gear just to take off with normal traffic isn't my idea of fun. The Maxima can be built to run an 13 sec. run N/A and still have the signature VQ torque. And any mod's after that, I.E. Nitrous and/or F/I just adds to the fun.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:23 PM

Now THAT's a winning argument

DW

Originally posted by IwANnAMaX96
The problem with building a N/A four cylinder is the closer you get to maxing out it's power potential, the more it's practicality and drivability goes out the window. Around town driving becomes more of a chore. Revving to 5K in each gear just to take off with normal traffic isn't my idea of fun. The Maxima can be built to run an 13 sec. run N/A and still have the signature VQ torque. And any mod's after that, I.E. Nitrous and/or F/I just adds to the fun.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:14 PM

Re: Integra gsr or maxima se???

Originally posted by rob00
I get the SE because of several reasons.....
1. Those Integras are loud !!! They are not comfortable on long trips and the Max has a real trunk and rides a lot better.
2. I almost beat a GS-R with a 99 GXE with a slushbox.
3. Why would you want a dinky four cylinder anyhow? You have to run it like you stole it to get any power out of it.
4. the VTEC is real peaky, like an old turbo charged car. IF you don't keep it in the motor's sweetspot, it's slower than Christmas.
5. Insurance on that little dinky four-banger is unreal !!!
Trust me, I speak from experience. I had three Hondas before my Max, my last being a 96 Civic Hatchback with a Integra GS motor swap.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:35 PM

I liek pei
Old 06-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Banned

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994
"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, and a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run. Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Integra GS-R , and Taurus SHO; the new Maxima also shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green. This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

i think that about says it. just drive one. a 15.2 family sedan =] and i suggest the GLE for style and throw a VB mod(Your shifts are faster than a 5-speed and of course, you'll never miss one) on it and you'll be loving it. But make sure you get to drive a 5 speed so you get the chance to feel what the engine can do...just my .02c

oh and as everyone has said, we're all going to reccomend the max.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:51 PM

And that time is relatively conservative. No clutch drops, and granny shifting the whole way down. I read about how they do magazine road tests and was surprised at how they baby the car down the track. Any fairly aggressive driver with the ability to power-shift quickly can expect a .2 second quicker run at least.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:01 PM

The 94-01 GS-R is a pretty stout car. The 95's were supposedly the fastest, due to a few things, including the lack of OBDII. I drove a 95 before I bought my 99 SE...it's a tremendously fun, quick, and nimble car, but like all the hondas through the 90's...they're like legos...those parts will fit in any other car. What stopped me from getting the GS-R in the first place was that I just don't want to return to where my car "used to be".
Old 06-10-2003, 09:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the help fellas. I knew most of you would say the to get the maxima but alot of the points you guys said really helped me. My search for a maxima is on!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm so hood

Good luck on the search! Test drives, carfax and trusted mechanic inspections are your friends.

Though I'd have to go against Torgus' point and say 5-spd over auto, just for driving enjoyment and control if not for speed.

Even I'd agree the max over the GSR, btw. Some people might get a kick out of that with my slight nimble, handling-biased background
Old 06-10-2003, 10:04 AM
living out of a maxima...

test drive a 5spd and you'll be hooked.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:19 AM
I'm needing a caw

Go around some turns in the GSR and the Maxima and see if you still feel the same way. The stock GSR handles like a modded 4-gen. Stock for stock, the GSR will handle TONS better than the Max. GSR also has RELIABLE turbo, SC, nos kits. Handling mods are everywhere for this thing. It's also lighter than a maxima and gets better gas mileage. It just doesn't have the torque or the room of a maxima.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:32 AM

Let me put it this way if you're looking at performance first. From a red light on the highway, I absolutely spanked a 95 GS-R up to 125pmh. We both had intake and a catback...he had one girl to my three people. And yes, he was trying. And yes...when I bought my Max, I was also keeping an eye out for a 5spd GS-R. Def. glad I picked up the Max.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:51 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Re: Re: Integra gsr or maxima se???

Originally posted by bamaslammer
I get the SE because of several reasons.....
1. Those Integras are loud !!! They are not comfortable on long trips and the Max has a real trunk and rides a lot better.
2. I almost beat a GS-R with a 99 GXE with a slushbox.
3. Why would you want a dinky four cylinder anyhow? You have to run it like you stole it to get any power out of it.
4. the VTEC is real peaky, like an old turbo charged car. IF you don't keep it in the motor's sweetspot, it's slower than Christmas.
5. Insurance on that little dinky four-banger is unreal !!!
Trust me, I speak from experience. I had three Hondas before my Max, my last being a 96 Civic Hatchback with a Integra GS motor swap.
number 4.....isn't the point of vetec to be able to get power all through out the rev????? variable valve timeing electonic control???? i thought that is what it was all about.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:52 AM

get a maxima.. and welcome to MAXIMA.org
Old 06-10-2003, 10:59 AM

I sold a GSR for my Max!! Integra's are fun, no doubt about that. But in real life If you want to have more class and be able to sit more than one passenger and still spank the majority of the cars on the market. It's all about potential, how much torque and horsepower you start with. And dont forget if youre ride losses weight you instantly gain in power to weight ratio, AH! HA! And still can sit in a car who has class and muscle.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:43 AM

Im just curious as to what people be sayin in the GSR forums??????
Old 06-10-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by ohannon7
If they are real power enthusiast they are beating themselves on the head for not buying a Maxima! Max's rule!
Old 06-10-2003, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Integra gsr or maxima se???

VTEC is notorious for it's Jekyll N Hyde character. With VTEC off in the lower rpms, the car is quite mild mannered. VTEC on, all hell breaks loose. If VTEC could liven up a honda's entire rev band, that would be something any maxima lover would deeply envy. They're all like that, from the S2000 tp the Prelude, RSX-S, ITR etc. The V6 VTECs are better, but Nissan still says a step ahead with their DOHC V6 torque meiters.

DW

Originally posted by ManualMaxima

number 4.....isn't the point of vetec to be able to get power all through out the rev????? variable valve timeing electonic control???? i thought that is what it was all about.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by ohannon7

I posted the same subject in an integra forum to hear what they would say. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=530878
Old 06-10-2003, 07:26 PM

I found there posts pretty helpful actually. well most of them. One of the main things I disagree with them with is the reliability thing, If i'm not mistaken nissans got better ranks in consumer affairs than hondas did this year, maybe I'm wrong, not sure though
Old 06-10-2003, 10:00 PM

I have a 96 civic that I drive the hell out of and it still runs great with 156,000 on the odo. Honda's are great cars no doubt, but as previously stated, the Max has more character (especially if tastefully modded). What opened my eyes with the Max was the torque factor. The scronda just never impressed me even from 5500-7000 when the vtech kicked in. Now granted the GSR is quite a bit faster than the civic, the torque just isn't there which is why the Max and it's great midrange is more practical for everyday use. Plus, four doors and an almost bulletproof V6 help too. Good luck w/ your future purchase.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:24 PM

Re: Re: Re: Integra gsr or maxima se???

Originally posted by ManualMaxima

Nah, it's just a great way of extracting max h/p from liliputian displacements. In the VTEC-E on the old CRX HF hatch (not the Si), it was used for fuel economy purposes rather than the pursuit of power.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by ThurgoodJenkins
Well....I'll tell you straight up. I had a '94 GS-R. I totaled it and almost killed myself. I bought an Explorer which I had for a year cause I was scared to drive cars. I wanted to get back into cars and I was thinking about getting a Type R for a short time but I realized that I wanted something bigger and therefore would make me feel safer. So me buying the Max was a definite second choice.

Now that I own it I LOVE IT. The TQ off the line is amazing. Way different then having to wait till 6000rpm before you feel your car pulling. NA for NA the Max and Integra both with bolt ons the Max is going to win more times and the money for mods is way cheaper. To get an intake and ypipe you have to spend about $300, for a GS-R CAI and headers you are looking at $600-700. My friend has put thousands into his GS-R and has a 14.2 best right now with all bolt ons. However so far at the track he has not run better times than me on the same day. I think it might be because he goes all the time. I think most of the time my car is faster and I really only have $700 or so in go fast mods. He spend $700 on his catback, not to mention all the other stuff he has.

Dude click my link to my homepage. I have some pretty good info on it as well as a bunch of good links at the top. One is maxima modifications that is very informative and other links show my GS-R in its mess if you wanna scare yourself good.

Originally posted by ChristheNite
I was in the same predicament, but after looking at about 5-6 GSR's I realized that they have all been driven hard EVERYDAY and most were wrecked. The Maxima is a GREAT car and maxima drivers are truely a unique breed - we dont kill our cars. Not to mention the max's can run to 200,000 miles with regular matinence which is pretty awesome. Ask around and you'll see why the maxima is truely one of the greatest v6 grocery getting sleepers ever created...
just my $.02
When I looked around for GS-Rs I looked at a bunch. MOST of um were ragged out. One guy told us to "really hit it" on one road. Yeah like I am going to buy your car when you tell us that you floor it all the time.

My Max...second one I went to see. Driven by a soccer mom. Just the kind of person you want to buy from...
Old 06-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Blazin......

I might go with the Integra now. My Max has 135,000 miles and its falling apart. Oh, Its been falling apart the past 10,000 miles with rough idles. Yet Ive spent est.$1500 in sensors and parts to fix it. and only $700 in just bolt ons.wtf. Thats big na-na. Think of the parts i wish i had.

But I still drive the max. why? eh its Big, Mean,Yet Classy . But it is a as$ to maintain. Expensive too.

Its also about luck and mielage of the car. Get it mint and I Guarantee you'll love it fresh.

I suggest you read the forumns and see what problems people have and notice the probs/perf threads. good luck chosing.

Old 06-11-2003, 03:20 AM

Of course everyone here is going to say get the max.... lol
Old 06-11-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by ThurgoodJenkins

Old 06-11-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Pizatt
Of course everyone here is going to say get the max.... lol
Sho-nuff !!!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:32 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

my friend has a max that has 235,000 on it and still runny strong. She has done nothing special to it. Just got the oil changed regualrly. That guy above was the first person i heard about maxima's falling apart.

Quick Reply: Integra gsr or maxima se???