4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

y-pipe worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 AM

DO IT!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 10:33 AM

That's it, I'm definately gonna get one now!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:14 AM

ok, i have a full cat back (budget b with resonator and a custom fit borla pro xs muffler. I dont have a y pipe on yet, but its in my trunk and will probably be installed tomarrow. i was thinking of putting exhaust wrap on it to keep it quieter because i keep hearing stuff on threads like this about how loud your car gets with a full catback and y pipe. will the wrap on the y pipe quiet the exhaust very much or enough to warrent the $40 exhaust wrap? does the wrap only target the hissing sound that the pipe could make? if it doesnt hiss when i put the pipe on, will putting the wrap on quiet the pipe in any other way? thanx
Old 06-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Dstyle
ok, i have a full cat back (budget b with resonator and a custom fit borla pro xs muffler. I dont have a y pipe on yet, but its in my trunk and will probably be installed tomarrow. i was thinking of putting exhaust wrap on it to keep it quieter because i keep hearing stuff on threads like this about how loud your car gets with a full catback and y pipe. will the wrap on the y pipe quiet the exhaust very much or enough to warrent the $40 exhaust wrap? does the wrap only target the hissing sound that the pipe could make? if it doesnt hiss when i put the pipe on, will putting the wrap on quiet the pipe in any other way? thanx

I have the WSP y-pipe, the rest of the exhuast is stock. The noise I was getting was a VW Beetle/bees in the can/bunch of criquets type noise, for me the header wrap cleared this noise up(the noise was coming from the y-pipe itself). I wrapped my pipe from just below the O2 sensors all the way back to the cat. When I step on the gas there is a slight rumble and that's about it, but this is from the higher flow of the exhuast gases coming out of the muffler. From all the information I have read here on the subject I believe that if you wrap your pipe you will still have a loud exhuast, it will just eliminate the problems that I had, and that's if you have any of the noises I had at all. Some people report that they do not have any of the noises I described, in which case they did not need the header wrap. So you can buy the header wrap and put it on, it is easier to wrap the pipe while it is off the car, or you can wait maybe save some money and see if you have any of those noises. If you do then wrap it while it's on your car. I bought my headerwrap (50 feet) on Ebay for $28 dollars.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:53 PM

ok y pipe are not a legal mod for anyone that has emissions inspection ....if they do a visual inspection they can tell....if they know what they are looking for....you are removing the pre-cats...emissions no-no....although your car still should pass the "sniff test" with out a problem...pre-cat help clean up the cold start emissions....if your car is loud with out a y-pipe it will be louder with the y-pipe...the pre-cats act as mini mufflers...wrapping the pipe may change the sound somewhat but I have not wrapped my pipe so I can't tell for sure.....I would guess min reduction in exhaust noise...later
Old 06-24-2003, 09:13 PM

Well I didn't feel much gain but gained alot of noise.....maybe because i got it and on the way home i was in traffic couldn't test it out. Had it for about a year now and my car is just getting slower and slower.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by z32drifter
ok y pipe are not a legal mod for anyone that has emissions inspection ....if they do a visual inspection they can tell....if they know what they are looking for....you are removing the pre-cats...emissions no-no....although your car still should pass the "sniff test" with out a problem...pre-cat help clean up the cold start emissions....if your car is loud with out a y-pipe it will be louder with the y-pipe...the pre-cats act as mini mufflers...wrapping the pipe may change the sound somewhat but I have not wrapped my pipe so I can't tell for sure.....I would guess min reduction in exhaust noise...later
The rumble I can hear now was there ever since I put on the y-pipe, the thing was that the bees in the can noise was covering it up. I could hear it when my wife drove the car as she drove away, it was just not audible over the bees in the can noise, and it is still not very noticeable now (I can only hear it when I go from a stop and my windows are down). The slight rumble was not the reason I wrapped my pipe, as I knew the wrap would not change this noise. I wanted to eliminate the annoying bees in the can/criquets noise, and the header wrap was the perfect solution to this annoying noise. You are right when you said that that the y-pipe will make the after market catback louder, that is why I am sticking with the OEM catback
Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM

Thanks

Thanks all. I already have a Injen, rsb and Cattman fstb, now I will order a y-pipe after the 4th of July.