4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 SE Trailor Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 SE Trailor Hitch?

I'm gonna be moving soon and thought about getting a trailor hitch for hitching the smallest U-Haul.

I went to the dealer just to check out prices and they said that they don't have a OEM part for Maxima's. Also he said that you can get 3rd party hitches but they will mess up your transmission??

For those of you that know more about cars, does this make any sense, or was the guy just being as ***?

Here is the Hitch that I was thinking of getting. No drilling required.

LMK what you guys think.
Old 06-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome to the .org

I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. I had a trailer hitch on my 97 auto for 3 years and now on my 99 manual for a year. Never had any problems, but I only haul very small and light stuff. I have a 4x8 utility trailer I haul around appliances and small amounts of lumber etc.

The hitch I have is similar to the one your looking at (except mine is not square). The Maxima can haul small loads around town, but I might be a little hesitant about cross country trips at high speeds. If it's a small trailer and only a short distance I would say you would be fine. be careful with heavy loads though, it doesn't take much to overheat the tranny. You might want to consider a transmission temp gauge and transmission cooler if you plan to haul some big loads.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes I do have the auto transmission. I will be moving about 150 miles away, not exactly cross country. I will only be transporting a couple hundred pounds at the most excluding the trailer off course.
Old 06-12-2003, 11:14 PM

I had a hitch on my max. I pulled my jet ski, and once my friends 19' open bow bayliner. Needless to say, I hit a railroad track in a downtown area and my hitch caught the track (someone moved the under const. sign and it was at night!) Ripped a huge hole in my trunk floor and bent my frame down. Just be careful!
Old 06-13-2003, 05:24 AM

I have a hitch on my 99SE 5 spd. I use it to tow my 16 foot boat (it is really lite). Total weight is just at 1000 pounds, which is the listed limit for the max. I only have to tow about 5 miles on back roads to the ramp, and that is all I would want to do with that rig. Braking is where you really notice the difference, as well as the rear end bounces a bit more.

However, for a small uhaul, you should be alright. The hitch you are looking at is very similar to the one I got. Install is a snap.

Good luck.

Eric
Old 06-13-2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by hchaniar
Yes I do have the auto transmission. I will be moving about 150 miles away, not exactly cross country. I will only be transporting a couple hundred pounds at the most excluding the trailer off course.
You should be fine
Old 06-15-2003, 10:41 AM

I have one on my 1995 SE. It has a rectangular bar instead of a square one. It is made by Reese and I really like it. I believe it is called a 'sleeper' or 'shadow' unit because it hides most all of the hitch out of site behind your bumper. Mine works great for pulling my 4x8 trailer around town....no problems with it at all. I installed it myself. However, it wasn't a perfect fit by any means. I had to bend the mounting plates apart just a little bit with a BIG hammer so that the bolts would align with my frame. I also had to cut a small portion of the tubing to allow it to fit around my exhaust pipe properly. All in all, I really like it. The part that I like the most is that it's hardly noticable with the tow bar removed and the receiver cover installed. If you're still interested in this particular model after hearing about the 'adjustments' that I had to do to get it to install, let me know and I'll try to find out where I ordered it from. I'll also send you a picture of it installed.